Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Testor Skyhawk

Old 04-11-2004, 02:08 AM
Uncle Heinkel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testor Skyhawk

Anybody ever have one of these back in the late 60's? I was a teenager back then and scraped the money together to buy one, around $75 if I remember correctly.

It was a rudder only, low wing airplane that was woefully underpowered with an .049. I put an .09 on it and had a few successful flights with it. Red plastic fuselage and foam wing. I remember that the transmitter had one big stick on it and I thought it was great!

Unfortunately, it was lost in shipment when I moved to Hawaii in 1970. Wish I still had the gear just for sentimental reasons.

H.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:13 AM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Testor Skyhawk

Hi,

You just brought one of my best R/C memories back!! The place was Duke Athletic field, Duke University, 1970, and I was watching a man and his son ATTEMPT to fly one of these. I had never seen one at the time, and as they were on the other side of the field I didn't see it very clearly. I still had my trusty Jr. Falcon w/Controlaire Mule and was flying flight after flight while they couldn't seem to get the Skyhawk in the air. Finally they got the plane up.. and I walked over just to watch the flight and to intoduce myself.... While watching the plane, the pilot went into the left is right and right is left frenzy and the plane was rapidly going in a spiral dive into the ground !!.. The father asked me if I could do anything and before I could answer tore the Transmitter from his son's hands and threw it at me... IT WAS PROPORTIONAL !!!!!! I had only seen these in magazines !!!! But.. left is still left and right is still right.. so... with not too much trouble, I got it out of the death spiral and continued to fly the plane... I couldn't BELIEVE how great it flew... We flew out all the fuel the man and his son had and it was my first "Insturctor" flights for me at age 16. They would show up on Sunday afternoon faithfully for about two months... and then... all of a sudden, never heard from them again.... seems they went flying midweek to "show somebody how to fly".. and THEY killed it..... anyway... It was my first Proportional airplane flight... and here if is 34 years later and I still remember it like yesterday...

You are right about one thing.. it was WAY underpowered and you usually had to do the rudder bang-bang to get the nose to lift after a hand launch.

Take care... I would love to find one of those jokers !!!

Dan

aka deadstik.....[8D]
Old 04-12-2004, 01:41 AM
Uncle Heinkel

Hi Dan,
Yep, those are great memories for me also when I was growing up in the Cleveland area.

Time after time it would slowly sink to the ground after hand launching. It was a real chore getting it into the air with the .049. It was a little better with the .09 which I had glued on the firewall with a ton of epoxy. Never had the chance to let it take off from pavement...I don't think it would move an inch if you tried that on grass.

It did fly well considering the rudder was constantly flapping back and forth. I remember thinking that the radio wasn't working properly until I understood what was going on.

The fuse was almost indestructible but I remember breaking the plain foam wing once.

I'd love to have another also...I've searched a few times on E-Bay for one with no luck.

I also had an Ace Kickin' Mule with a Rand(?) Galloping Ghost for rudder, throttle and elevator. What an unbelievable combination of gears that thing was! Whoever came up with that was a true genius! I bought the setup used from someone who had added the extra channels to the transmitter. Being a beginner, I asked him when to use the elevator...he said "when you're heading straight for the ground!" Never had the chance to use the Kickin' Mule, it was lost in shipment as well.

I'm finishing up a 1/9th scale Junkers Ju-52 now.....It's amazing how far we've come in 34 years.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Steve
Old 04-23-2004, 11:34 AM
Dave 700

Still have the one I flew about 1970 in southern Germeny. Removed the landing gear and flew it on the stock engine. I remember everyone (Lockheed engineers) asking how can you fly with rudder only. Turn right to climb and turn left to dive. They were amazed. I went to full proportional with a World Engines Blue Max 6 channel about 2 years later.

Dave 700
Old 05-06-2004, 12:25 AM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone remember the Testors Skyhawk on the cover of M.A.N. magazine being hand launched from the ...
Old 05-03-2005, 04:31 AM
vfxjim

This is not a sales pitch but merely a heads up that the following liink could stir memories for those that knew the Skyhawk:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 05-03-2005, 05:22 AM
Hueydriver

I think that the Skyhawk was used in a film starring Sandy Dennis in 1967 or so....believe the aircraft was launched from a bridge in New York and that Walt Schroeder was the technical consultant for the film. There was an article about it in MAN or RCM at the time.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:04 PM
vfxjim

Was it Walt Schroeder or Walt Schoonard that was involved with a circa 1970 Disney production called Varda The Peregrine Falcon? He was tech advisor and I believe pilot for r/c camera footage of the literal bird's eye view. He is also shown on camera flying with a chum when Varda brings down his vintage Lanier ARF that I believe was a Bronco. I'm curious if anyone remembers. --Jim
Old 05-05-2005, 03:24 AM
subarubrat
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a testors skyhawk on ebay right now.

And I seem to remember that disney movie, and maybe it was the same one, or not, it was 25 years ago or more, but one had these kids flying some helis out of the back of a large van, and if I recall correctly it gave the impression that they started via remote. And I also recall it being on a movie set or something and some guys firing guns at the helis. I think that was the first time I ever saw a heli.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:15 PM
averagebear

This is the cover of MAN August 1967, with the Testor's Skyhawk.
Also the photo essay about the movie scenes filmed with actors
Sandy Dennis and Anthony Newley on the Brooklyn Bridge.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57503.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	481610   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74768.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	481611  
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha, had a guy come up to my booth at the BARKS swap meet this year and give me one of these complete in the box. Hope to get her in the air sometime! This one had a Cox Golden Bee in her.

Bob Harris
Old 06-23-2006, 07:32 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bob, indeed the Testors plane came with the Cox Golden Bee. Look closely at the color cover on the M.A.N. in the previous post. You will see the Tee Dee style aluminum spinner and not quite as clearly the Cox head and black cyl. Just behind that is a glint of gold! Yep the Golden tank of the Golden Bee!

To add to this thread I have an article from Jan '67 AAM that details the plane, its contents , price and yes it mentions the Cox Golden Bee as original equipment.

Robert

Name:	Qo40632.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	481751  
Old 06-23-2006, 07:34 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are the rest