Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Roy L. Clough, Jr

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:20 PM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Roy L. Clough, Jr, Even More Articles

back again. still no luck/idea of finding the additional plans of Roy Clough's models, particular the 1/2 Hoop wing. its getting building weather again, no snow yet. the new 80"layboy wing completed structurually, my old Mon ocoat ,no good after being under water. so its also on the long order list with Lone Star Balsa, soon as Nadine opens the purse strings. dick
Old 12-07-2005, 07:39 AM
g-rock
My Feedback: (1)

Dick,
Is this the RCJ model that you are looking for? It's called the Channel Winger. If so, PM me if you would like a higher resolution copy in PDF format.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76657.gif
Views:	107
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	366271  
Old 12-07-2005, 11:51 PM
dicknadine

yes and the print you sent me is on the board, ready to being upscaled to 81", starting tomorrow. power will be determed at a later date, after it starts to take shape. there's no sense in building miniture model aircraft-- too hard to see in the air. thanks again.. dick
Old 12-08-2005, 01:30 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just stumbled across these two designs in the 10/93 MB:

Zoomslot and Minislot

Name:	Ig11268.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	366941  
Old 12-09-2005, 06:13 PM
dicknadine

YUP, plans started @ 80 ws, for RC, will be a monster with 21" chord. will be another eye popper @ the field, if and when. another truck load Balsa and CA to be ordered from Lone Star. sure cheaper than the girls. dick
Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 PM
Splinter Wood

So which plan are you doing Dick...the 1/2 Hoop Wing or that neat Channel Wing that G-Rock posted? Are full size plans still available for the channel wing. I'm into building anything unusual. I think the Custer Channel Wing was built on the theory that increased air flow over the wing was supposed to cause greater lift at lower air speeds (a early STOL design). I think I found a picture of the original prototype that 'might' be at the Smithsonian. Not sure.

Name:	Tr49844.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	369143  
Old 12-13-2005, 04:34 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: Splinter Wood

So which plan are you doing Dick...the 1/2 Hoop Wing or that neat Channel Wing that G-Rock posted? Are full size plans still available for the channel wing. I'm into building anything unusual. I think the Custer Channel Wing was built on the theory that increased air flow over the wing was supposed to cause greater lift at lower air speeds (a early STOL design). I think I found a picture of the original prototype that 'might' be at the Smithsonian. Not sure.

Hi Clough enthusiasts,

I googled Custer Channel Wing some time ago and saved many pictures, At that time I was using Netscape and unfortunately nearly all the text I saved will no longer load (Netscape not on my machine any more). There is a huge amount of data available through google, I just checked. I still cannot upload a picture to RCU from my machine even though all the jpegs I saved are still useful. I really want to download any of Clough's MODEL drawings to my own computer.

Try the following:-1st AIAA Flow Control Conference 24-27 June 2002 St. Louis, Missouri, use Google.

Best of luck in your searching.

old git
Old 12-13-2005, 08:35 AM
dicknadine

morning. its the 1/2 Hoop model. had layed it out at 81" and dicovered a super big monster, downsized to 60"ws. am also adding aielerons to help the old fingers control it-- know that its not to scale. my full Hoop model does not exist any more, No Thanks to Katrina. no idea of power yet. will keep you posted. dick
Old 12-13-2005, 05:41 PM
Splinter Wood

I guess landing gear could pose a problem with extremely large diameter (wing span) Hoop models. The distance to center would be something like 40+ inches off the ground. That would require some very long landing gear!! Good call making the 1/2 Hoop smaller.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:55 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first Clough design I built was a hydrofoil which I cannot find any info on these days. Not to be confused with the WaterBug also designed by him though it has a few simalarities.
It had a cabin which was half round front and back, was I think 30" long and about 24" wide.
The width was mostly made up of a small boom which carried a couple of "pontoons" or floats fro stability. Under which were the front foils with aluminum tabs for trim.
The cabin was I believe 12" long behind which was another boom for the verticle fin and sub fin.
This was for the Baby Bee .o49 facing rearward. Can't remember where I found the plans. They were Blueprints. Populay mechanics possibly?

Does anyone rember it or where I can find plans? I have tried Ebay to no avail thus far.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:12 PM
g-rock

Build Light
Is this the RJC design that you are looking for? If so, PM or e-mail me your e-mail. I have a PDF file that is the 3 page construction article for the WaterBug.

Name:	Ay75809.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	369690  
Old 12-13-2005, 08:31 PM
g-rock

Build Light
Sorry, I misread your post, I have a list of RJC articles and cannot find one that is just called a hydrofoil. Could it possible be the Hydrojet?
Gene

Name:	Om33029.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	369708  
Old 12-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Splinter Wood

I noticed the last set of plans had a Roy Clough trade mark Ping Pong ball pilot. I built a Tumblewing from the March 2005 Flying Models magazine. Here's a pic of Roy's pilot..

Name:	Yw66678.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	369738  
Old 12-13-2005, 10:15 PM
build light

g-rock! that jet boat is way cool! How does the impeller system work?

Oh, to answer your question no thats not it, however it is way cool.

I read popular science with a passion back then but I think it was an older copy of Popular Mechanics that I may have found it in. I remember clearly that it was a blueprint. Blue background and white lines for the drawing. The motor pictured was a more modern cox motor with the standard Baby Bee tank mount tyhe motor faced backward ( pusher config,) I'll see if I can find some better way to describe it. Then I may be getting mixed up with another author.
It was meant to run free or on a tether. I bet it could be modded for R/C
Old 12-14-2005, 04:13 AM
g-rock

Built Light
The Hydrojet drive is an impeller.
The only other two boats that are on my RJC list that may be what you are looking for I do not have.
"Boat that flips to go"; (Prop tail drive) Popular Science, September 1961.
The second is "Water Skating Boat": Popular Mechanics, June 1963.

Name:	Zx72009.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	369881  
Old 12-14-2005, 08:35 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: build light

My first Clough design I built was a hydrofoil which I cannot find any info on these days. They were Blueprints. Populay mechanics possibly?

Does anyone rember it or where I can find plans? I have tried Ebay to no avail thus far.
Hi Build light,

I misread your tag as Bud Light, I believe that is a reference to a beer!

I "Googled" Hook Hydrofin and came up with a few interesting pictures. I have not been able to upload pictures from my Mac computer to RCU for some time. I'll try but even though it may not be a Clough you may still find it interesting to try Hook HYDROFIN. There were drawings in Practical Mechanics.

Sorry, no luck,

old git
Old 12-14-2005, 10:48 PM
build light

old git,I too "Googled" Hook Hydrofin . I saw what you saw. Interesting yes , but I did not see my nemisis.

I know I built one of these things. Could be it was not a Clough design but It did exist. I remember painting it with Aerogloss Fokker Red dope. Mayby I can draw a picture of it and it may rock someones memory.

I drew this real quick. windows (upper half of cabin) were plastic. The rear boom, engine pylon and outrigger boom were bass wood. Main cabin was balsa. So was the verticle fin which very well was taller than shown. The rear boom I think was a bit longer. The cabin was I believe was 4 inches tall 3 inches wide and 12 inches long. overall length was about 25-30 inches long. The uprights were 1/4" sq balsa.
On the ends of the forward outrigger was a pontton/float thingy. It was made from 3/4 " square balsa about 4 inches long. The front of these was pointed bluntly.
Downward from each of these floats were the front foils made from 3/16" balsa.

Name:	Db84642.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	370289  
Old 12-14-2005, 11:51 PM
build light

Here is a front view.

Name:	Ki20087.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	370339  
Old 12-16-2005, 11:22 AM
dicknadine

Morning. the large diameter of the HOOP Plane,with the single landing strut was no problem. the twin fins/rudders kept it stable, no power and have no idea what take off charcteristics would be, as Katrina solved the question by taking it away with the house and all of my models. the upscaling of the Channel Wing just about complete, tail booms and tail assy to go and will be done today, then construction starts. just reciecved a set of 84" Flying Qaker plans from OLD GIT and the are perfect for building as soon as my truck load of balsa from Lone Star gets here. dick
Old 01-24-2006, 07:14 PM
revoxdude

Default RE: Roy L. Clough, Jr

WANTED---Can anyone help me get a set of plans to build a Hoopskirt? Im reliving my airplane hobies now that I have retired. My parents had the do it yourself pop mechanics when I was a kid and I had built one. I contacted them recently and was told that the books were sold at a garage sale. If anyone can help me get these plans, I would appreciate all the help getting back into the hobby.

Paulie.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:29 PM
dicknadine

sorry but my 60" dia Hoop Skirt and the my plans went the wayof Katrina. it sure looked pretty hanging fromt the ceiling, even before its first flight. been thinking of building another, but got sidetrcked by starting to build all 3 known configurations of the Fokker D7, 3 different fuselage configurations, one wing and tail. its keeping me busy and at home, as not permitted to drive on the highways alone any more. old age, by the numbers, not by ability is for the birds. so draw plans,build like crazy all day long. having fun doing it also. when you get started, give a shout and will help you. dick
Old 01-27-2006, 07:31 AM
g-rock

Revoxdude
Have you seen Fritzke's reply to your question for Hoop Skirt Plans on page one of this topic? Or, are you looking for larger plans?
Gene
Old 01-27-2006, 02:06 PM
revoxdude

Yes GRock I got the plans. Thanks for asking. The only thing is Id like to be able to read the dimensions and thats a big problem for me. I would have liked to build it for an 010 and make it RC but Im wondering if it will even budge?? I was thinking of making a smaller version. What do you think?
Old 01-27-2006, 03:17 PM
g-rock

Revoxdude
If this is not large enough, pm me your e-mail address. I have a high resolution PDF file that I could send you.

Name:	Bz79120.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	396464   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75796.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	396465  
Old 01-27-2006, 03:50 PM
revoxdude

Thats perfect. I can make out the measurements now. You guys have been a real help. Thanks a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.