Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Roy L. Clough, Jr

Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Roy L. Clough, Jr, Even More Articles

Phil, you were right, I was not dissapointed! Lots of interesting articles and plans including the Hydrofoil ( hydroplane it was called) I have been after for so long. Once again many thanks sir!

Now I must think through the design and see how (if at all) it could be adapted to R/C. Trying to get her to turn well might be tricky. I also wonder how the best way to implement some sort of trim once she has risen and is on her "wings" (foils) It really is an odd looking design. Reminds me of a wheelhouse of a tugboat. Outside of that one notable familiar part the rest is complete whimsey. I don't know if anything like it has ever been made. I guess that is what makes it unique!
I am not much of a boat man myself when it comes to modeling but I did run across another R/C boat called the Miss Take which really caught my eye. Uses both an air rudder and water rudder.

Robert
Old 09-15-2006, 10:35 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

morning. feel like that I'm all thru with the latest bug bout and ready to downsize my plan of the Channel Wing from 60" to 36". was just tooo big. will be sized for electric. finally have the electric power supplies for both the Ring Wing and the Hoop Skirt, now too learn how to use them. am still looking for additional models of Roy's, would like to build one of each of his designs-- all help is appreciated. dick
Old 09-20-2006, 08:56 PM
build light

Default RE: Roy L. Clough, Jr

No doubt inspired by the Roy Clough Jr here is an annual wing design and video I ran across.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571269

Robert
Old 09-28-2006, 04:42 PM
adamalbert

Roy Clough passed away on Friday 05/16/06, of lung cancer/stroke

Roy has published over 150 articles, plan, and How-To’s since 1945. He also published a novel, and a book on steel guitars

He was inducted into the AMA Hall of Fame in 1999.

He was my friend and I will miss him.

His autobiography can be found at:

http://www.modelaircraft.org/museum/bio/Clough.pdf

Thank You,
Adam
Old 09-29-2006, 11:24 PM
old git

ORIGINAL: build light

- - - wonder how the best way to implement some sort of trim once she has risen and is on her "wings" (foils) It really is an odd looking design.
Robert
http://homepages.rya-online.net/ejcc...HobartFig3.htm

The above link? shows the principle of the automatic trimming method used by the Hook Hydrofin. Sorry about the web address, i cannot upload pics from my machine.

The early 50s were full of innovative models. I remember the Dorland Hall Model Exhibition of that period. There were Electric Ducted Fan aircraft flying, Pendulum Stabilised aircraft and even Magnet Steered no less. Then there was the Hook Hydrofin, it was demonstrated in a pool and subjected to waves. The forward float sensed the wave height and changed the angle of attack of the main foils and there you have it, Automatic Trimming!

old git - - - - -aka John L.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:12 PM
build light

John, This will be a good help for me. It will help in forward stability no doubt. Steering will be more of a challenge if you look at the design. The thing is poised at running speed in a 3 point stance much like a Hydroplane boat. This means flat turns.

If I were to modify the 2 outer front foils to a single bowed foil connecting the 2 outriggers might that help with letting the hull roll some to allow a turn more like a boat or plane normally allows?

Would this even be desirable? Seems natural to me to do so.

Another thing that I think would need changing would be the Y or V configuration of the rear foils. I think a T would be most suitable for R/C use.

For "freeflight" or tether use the design that Mr Clough has for this ship in my mind is flawless. The only reason to make any changes in the design are purely of my own desire to increase the performance of the ship under different intended usage.
I wonder... How would Roy Clough Jr have done it?

Adam for anyone to have been able to call this man their friend... My hat is off to you! My condolences to you as well. A huge loss for all of us indeed.

The best thing I can do is to try and bring Mr. Clough's designs to life and make sure he gets credit for it wherever I can.

Robert
Old 10-02-2006, 05:36 AM
old git

ORIGINAL: build light

John, This will be a good help for me. It will help in forward stability no doubt. Steering will be more of a challenge if you look at the design. The thing is poised at running speed in a 3 point stance much like a Hydroplane boat. This means flat turns.

If I were to modify the 2 outer front foils to a single bowed foil connecting the 2 outriggers might that help with letting the hull roll some to allow a turn more like a boat or plane normally allows?

Would this even be desirable? Seems natural to me to do so.

Another thing that I think would need changing would be the Y or V configuration of the rear foils. I think a T would be most suitable for R/C use.

For "freeflight" or tether use the design that Mr Clough has for this ship in my mind is flawless. The only reason to make any changes in the design are purely of my own desire to increase the performance of the ship under different intended usage.
I wonder... How would Roy Clough Jr have done it?

Adam for anyone to have been able to call this man their friend... My hat is off to you! My condolences to you as well. A huge loss for all of us indeed.

The best thing I can do is to try and bring Mr. Clough's designs to life and make sure he gets credit for it wherever I can.

Robert
Hi Robert,

Ah, I see where you are coming from. I feel that a simple water rudder tacked on the upright part of the rear foil support would enable a normal (flat) turn. especially since the main lift foils have an effect similar to dihedral that ensures flat running and reduces roll. The bank into a turn of the displacement hull fast boats is caused by the rudder being below the waterline and the resultant turning thrust heels the boat into the turn. That made me think a bit when I first observed it on a fast Corvette turning hard and leaning into the bend like a motorbike. I found it very impressive watching hundreds of tons leaning into a bend. Please keep up with the building, I am enjoying building models vicariously.

Thanks for the "heads up" on the demise of Mr Clough, never met the man, like so many of the people I only read about. Now I will never meet him but he still lives on in the hearts and minds of modellers worldwide. I think it needs youth to recognise heroic figures, shame, at my age I am impressed by much of what I see but I no longer recognise a hero. The AMA archives of Biographies of famous modelling figures make intriguing reading.

It's great to see the models Dicknadine is producing.

old git - - - -aka John L.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:27 PM
Tommy gallagher

Dick

I came across this thread not to long ago and noticed the Hoopskirt iti s absolutely beatiful

What a great vintage project i will give it a try and build my own brushless version with a diamter of about 20"

g-rock/Gene provided me with a copy of the hoopskirt Thanks!look like a fun and easy project to build.

Before i start i have a few questions to ask since you have built one already

How is the overall flying expirience with this particular annular wing?

What is your control surfaces setup? Do you have rudders and elevator or elevons controling the plane. The plans call for a elevons type of control for the FF

Another thing im a little confused. The airfoil is symetrical did you shimm positive the hoop in acordance to the horizontal fuse line to give it a slight attack angle.

And did you had to shimm the motor at all.

How do you launch this model? Do you simply hold on to the top fin rudder and throw it and land on one wheel later.

Im very curious to see how will it fly in real life very interesting design i was looking for something like this a long time.
Old 04-07-2007, 08:16 PM
dicknadine

its 21" dia x 6" chord, covered with red mica film. 12 oz, no battaries. not flown yet, still waiting for my electric geru to show up and do the power instl. right now its covered with balsa sanding dust from the other new models under construction and or waiting for electric power instl also. my 1st one flew couple of flights pretty good, before Katrina took it along with all the rest of my models. the rudder and elevator servo's are back next to them, needed tail weight. made my wing form from heavey 1" cardbord, balsa strips were 1/16" thick, yellow glue. sand to shape after its cured. make sure that you sand it coreectly-- I did it wrong and had to make a 2nd one. sure will raise a lot of eyebrows. ask if you need help. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17689.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	659314  
Old 04-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Tommy gallagher

Ok that makes sense one more thing. when the plans were enlarged how long did the boom lenth increased. Was there any simple calculation that was need to figure that out.

Forgot to ask something. Have you ever thought about making it a pusher configuration. That would save the prop and make it look cooler i think. Since there would be no prop in the fron there is a posibility for a foam nose block easy to add weight if needed to balance.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Tommy gallagher

ORIGINAL: Tommy gallagher

Another thing im a little confused. The airfoil is symetrical did you shimm positive the hoop in acordance to the horizontal fuse line to give it a slight attack angle.

And did you had to shimm the motor at all.
I think you missed a little of my previous question about the motor and hoop being shimmed at all
Old 04-08-2007, 03:23 PM
dicknadine

changeing sizes is no problem, just do the same for all dim. never thought about a pusher, one way to find out is TRY it. I'm just about ready to put a small fuel moror on mine and get it flying. I have some 30 acres to fly in-- once all the horse corral fences gettaken down and everything bush hogged. right the cold weather and blues have slowed me down. more lare. dick
Old 06-12-2010, 09:39 PM
RyanNX211

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks like Ted Patrolia's Cobra

http://www.thebuildingboard.com/2009...ias-cobra.html
Old 06-13-2010, 12:19 PM
DrBoss302

Well this has been quite the topic since I first posted the thread about 6 years ago. Since I changed my photo server with the original posted photos lost, and I cannot edit my own thread that I started on 6-6-2004, I thought I'd repost the original thread with pictures to give some eye-candy of what Mr. Clough Jr. introduced me to. R.I.P. Roy.

ORIGINAL: DrBoss302

Hi guys,

Found this site while surfing the web and a rush of childhood memories came back.

My introduction to gas powered planes was in the early 70's when I received a complete volume of Popular Mechanics ''Do It Yourself'' books. As I was thumbing through, Roy L. Clough's Hoopskirt airplane caught my eye. A .020 powered hooped shaped barrel wing. Wow, that was cool. There were several other models by Roy within the set such as a ''Waterbug'', ''hovercraft'', ''Gyrocopter'', to name a few from memory.

I built two Hoopskirts. The first was finished in 1971 and weighed a ''ton''. I made a pilots head from my Mattel Fighting Men ThingMaker Set and used Testors' enamel paint to paint the tissue. It was not correctly balanced and even if it was, it still would have plummeted to the ground when trying to trim.

My second attempt was finished during our nation's bicentennial and flew several flights. What a great sense of accomplishment to see that free flight Hoopskirt roll back and forth as she gained altitude. Look at the amount of forward weight I added to the nacelle to have it balanced. That weight was nothing but melted solder shaped and cooled in a bottle cap. I still have that ''Bicentennial Hoopskirt''.

In 1978 I purchased blue transparent ''microfilm'' and all the balsa to make a lighter 3rd version, but never got around to it.

Oh, by the way, that .020 cost $6.98 in 1971.

Well anyway, the main reason for the aforemention information is, does anybody know if Mr. Clough ever assembled a book pertaining to his wonderful models?? If not, does anybody know of an archival list of magazines, books etc that his projects were published in.

Mr. Clough was an extremely talented man and gave me a great sense of pride when I completed and successfully flew his model. There was limited first hand information available about model aviation from where I grew up. Determined persistence to get that Hoopskirt to fly was a stepping stone to overcome other obstacles as I have walked through life. Thank you Mr. Clough.

Cheers

DocBoss
BTW, how does she look after sitting 34 years since her maiden flight??? Well, kinda of like me...a little out of shape. Thanks for reading.

Old 08-02-2014, 10:53 AM
averagebear

This is a great thread; Roy Clough Jr. was certainly one of a kind.

I came across this interesting compilation - 165 pages - of Roy Clough's plans and articles.

http://www.svensktmodellflyg.se/user.../the_world_of_roy_clough.pdf