Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Playboy

Old 07-06-2003, 03:01 AM
jessiej

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Playboy

Giant ants! I remember the movie very well. I believe the model was a Jasco Phoenix.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:22 AM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

Default Playboy

you could be right, not sure cause the model wasnt in view that long, but definitly was that era type F/F model. I think the ants trapped some kids and the model was left lying there. unfortunatley thier wasnt too many old movies with models, if there was let me know.
Old 07-06-2003, 03:46 AM
Flight Risk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Playboy

I thought I had seen all giant creature movies. This one doesn't sound familiar. I do remember James Arness in "The Thing".
I have added this to my wish list on Amazon (along with dozens of other things I'll never purchase). It gets extra points for having a model airplane!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...s=dvd&n=507846

Cool flag towing also!

FR
Old 07-06-2003, 03:51 AM
powerglide
My Feedback: (4)

Default Playboy

ya I seen "the thing" several times where he comes out of a block of ice, good movie!!!! although thier were no model airplanes, keep lookin!!!!!
Old 07-31-2003, 03:11 PM
Rick_in_jax

Default Looking for Playboy kit (or similar)

Hello, all

I'm Rick in Jacksonville, Florida. 15 years ago I was VERY involved in flying sailplanes but have been busy with work and now that I have retired I have the flying bug again.

A few years ago I saw some fellows flying R/C oldtimers. It looked like fun!

I have been looking for a source of a Playboy kit. On the Internet I have read that Bob Sliff had marketed a scaled down version of the origional Playboy. But couldn't find anything on it.

Can any of you lead me to someone who might be selling a kit?

OR any suggestions of an airplane kit similar to the Playboy?

What I'm thinking about is glow power to allow me to just cruise and thermal.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 07-31-2003, 03:32 PM
Flight Risk

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Playboy

The only Playboy kit I am aware of is this Ben Buckle kit. I have a Playboy already but would like to try one of the other old timer kits.

http://www.benbucklevintage.fsbusine...#playboysenior

FR
Old 07-31-2003, 04:42 PM
jessiej

Default Playboy

Bob Holman has excelent CAD drawn plans and laser cut parts: www.bhplans.com

Klarich Custom Kits also has the Playboy:
http://www.harryklarich.virtualempire.com/

I expect there are others, but I do not know of them right off hand. I don't think you would be dissapointed with either of the above.
Old 07-31-2003, 06:49 PM
franciscan

Default Playboy

Hi Rick
I am currently building a 67" Playboy from the Spirit of Yesteryear
Model aircraft co in Canada. They do a series of vintage kits. Wood is good and have most major parts lazer cut. Motor size is 600. I`m hoping to be flying soon.
Old 07-31-2003, 07:20 PM
Rick_in_jax

Default Playboy

Thanks for the info.

I found that kit available on the web from 'New Creations' just a few minutes ago.

I'm glad to hear that it is a good kit. And I'm looking forward to trying Lasar cut parts. Has to be better than die-crushed !!

I flew standars class sail planes in competition for a number of years and just never got excited about the powerd planes. (Although, we used to fly .049 jobs in the winter!)

I'm ready to begin a Playbot.

Thanks,
Old 07-31-2003, 07:45 PM
franciscan

Default Playboy

Hi Rick
Just one thing- the New Creations kit is electric based. There is nothing to stop you fitting a glow motor but this is not shown on the plans.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:01 PM
Airboatflyingship

Default RE: Playboy

There is a free plan for playboy available at http://plans.rcmodell.hu/oldtime.html it works Ive printed it for my wing and tail that came to me from an Ebay part completed collection.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:48 PM
rainedave

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Playboy

I have built many pylon designs that balance between 75 and 80% back from the LE. Granted, they all have large lifting (airfoiled) stabs.

I have started work on a Paul Gilliam Civy Boy that balances at 100%. That is correct; it balances on the very rear of the trailing edge. I have seen designs that actually balance around 110 to 115% back. You have to balance them upside down supporting the fuselage.

REMEMBER: with old timer designs, the balance point is a product of BOTH lifting surfaces, the wing and the stab.

I currently have a Playboy Jr. that flies great at 70%. Playboys have somewhat smaller stabs, so 65 to 70% makes more sense, but with the stab set at 0° and about 2 1/2° positive for the wing, they will fly fine at up to 80%.

The best thing to do is test glide the model over tall grass with the elevator centered. Adjust the balance until it glides with just a hint of a stall ( a slightly discernable porpoising). Don't use elevator trim, use weight. With fuel in the tank the glide will then be right on. You'll probably find that the balance is close to 70% when you achieve this.