Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Help on 80's GP Cap 21 CG question

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Help on 80's GP Cap 21 CG question

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 08:24 PM
tconnell
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on 80's GP Cap 21 CG question

Help... I need to pick some brains as I have a CG question on an old friend. I'm getting back into the hobby after being out for some 20 years. I have a Great Planes CAP 21 with a 60" wing span that flew well with the old Kraft radio, small battery pack and a OS .50 under the cowl in the early 80's. I don't think the OS is going to be very salvageable and I know that the radio and battery are trash. This plane was kit built and built very light and with the OS .50 it screamed.

I have put in an Evolution .46 along with a JR flight pack to match the JR 6102 radio and have the plane cleaned up and radio checked and working. I figure with the advancement in technology the Evolution .46 is probably more powerful than the OS was back then.

My question is that I can't remember anything on the CG or about where it should be. The box and plans are long gone. Is there anyone out there that remembers, has an idea where or knows how to go about getting it somewhere close. I do remember how aerobatic this plane was and I don't want to think about it snapping just after the break. I want the first flights to be very easy and to get used to it again.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tommy
An Old Newbie!
Old 11-06-2004, 07:31 AM
vtx1800

Default RE: Help on 80's GP Cap 21 CG question

Give me a day or so, I have a new ( original) kit in the garage. CG should be listed on the plans or instructions. I built one many years ago with an HP 40 and it had plenty of power. I dont recall anything special having to do with the cg.
Old 11-06-2004, 09:22 AM
tconnell

vxt1800, Man that would be a blessing. Thanks so much for the offer. I'll be listening.

Tommy
Old 11-07-2004, 01:32 PM
vtx1800

the 40 size kit balance point is shown on the plans as 3 1/2" from the LE. That would put it at @ at the trailing edge of the main spar.
Old 11-07-2004, 10:51 PM
tconnell

Thanks for that information. I will get on that in the morning. Flew the Snappy Cap yesterday and it's a little touchy for me just getting my feet wet again, buy when it snapped I was about 50 feet off the ground an got it back pretty easy. Lost the engine on final and it tip stalled and I bent the gear.

Took about 2 hours to cut down to where I could get the gear out and straighten and then found that the wheel pants had crushed come of the under side of the wing on each side. So had to peal back the Monokote and fix all that. It's back ready to fly and I will get the CG correct tomorrow.

Happy Flying to you.

Tommy