Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

TOP FLITE TAURUS REPRODUCTIONS

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

TOP FLITE TAURUS REPRODUCTIONS

Old 11-24-2004, 08:19 PM
strider216

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TOP FLITE TAURUS REPRODUCTIONS

Looking to contact JOE GRASSO concerning his repo of the TOP FLITE TAURUS or any other repo manufacturer of the TAURUS
Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: TOP FLITE TAURUS REPRODUCTIONS

Strider, I beleive Joe Grasso's e-mail is [email protected]. Of the kits I have seen of his, the woodwork is great, all hand cut. Most likely better than the original!!

Also Dan Hines (Deadstik) of Carolina Custom Aircraft I think offers a kit with fiberglass fuselage and foam wings.

Good Luck,

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 11-25-2004, 12:25 AM
strider216

thanks for the info will try to contact these people
Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 PM
jjpetro

Hello Fella's
My name is Jeff Petroski and I have purchased the product line of Taurus reproductions from Lance Maresh of Custom Cutters. I am now in the process of revising the full size drawings and laser cut files. Within 4-6 weeks I will be producing short kits and full kits. I anticipate the short kits will be around $85 and the full kits around $100. Tentatively, the short kits will include fuselage sides, fuselage doublers, vertical stabilizer, rudder, fuselage formers, wing ribs, horizontal stabilizer base, rib doubler, wing reinforcement pads, dihedral brace, landing gear mount, formed landing gear, top block, and the canopy. Almost everything is laser cut except for the top block. The full kit will include all of the wood stock necessary to complete the model. Thus, saving you a trip to the hobby shop and a better price. Both of the kits will include full scale drawings, and instructions. If anyone is interested you can contact me at [email protected].
Old 12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jjpetro

I anticipate the short kits will be around $85 and the full kits around $100.
I think a better price would be $200 or more?
Old 12-29-2004, 09:48 PM
jjpetro

Really?? Hmmmm. Well, maybe I could. But, I think my tentative prices will be enough to make it profitable for me and still make it attractive for the modeler. Thanks anyway.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:11 PM

ORIGINAL: jjpetro

Really?? Hmmmm. Well, maybe I could. But, I think my tentative prices will be enough to make it profitable for me and still make it attractive for the modeler. Thanks anyway.
Check item 5945063679 on ebay!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 11:50 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Jeff,

You can charge 8178 $200 for his.. but let me know when you get your full kit ready and I'll pay you a $100 for mine. First time I've EVER seen a customer ask for a price increase.....LOL...I'm in the process of finishing the mold for a fiberglass Taurus. Working on an Orion fuse too.... so many great planes... so little time to sand.....Good Luck.

Dan

aka deadstik
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 12-30-2004, 09:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Deadstik

Jeff,

You can charge 8178 $200 for his.. but let me know when you get your full kit ready and I'll pay you a $100 for mine. First time I've EVER seen a customer ask for a price increase.....LOL...I'm in the process of finishing the mold for a fiberglass Taurus. Working on an Orion fuse too.... so many great planes... so little time to sand.....Good Luck.

Dan

aka deadstik
Carolina Custom Aircraft
Dan, I guess you are joking around a little, but if anyone would understand this, I thought of all people you would. If we expect people to spend their time and energy making reproductions of these fine classics and want them to prosper so they will want to make more, we should be willing to pay them for their outstanding contribution to our hobby. That includes you too! I don’t see how Jeff can sell them for $100. and come out ahead. By the time he gets the wood, hardware, plastic canopy, pays for the cutting, plan copy cost and a box for kit he will be hard pressed to come out ahead. IMHO, I don’t think you can compare the price of a low production high value Taurus reproduction to cost to say a high production low value Goldberg Tiger 60 from Tower Hobby for $109.99. The original Taurus kits sell for more than $200 on ebay and they don’t show up very often.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

I'm glad you recognized my comments for what they are... a tongue in cheek Joke! Believe me, I know what it costs to bring a kit out, and to produce a balsa intense, Taurus level kit for $100 is darn near impossible.. unless Jeff wants to work for 32 cents an hour. Whenever you produce "vintage" kits, you can't expect the world to beat a path to your door. You sell a few here and there.. when somebody in an area of the country sees your kit, some excitement forms and you get a couple of orders. Just In Time delivery is the name of the game..and as much as I like producing vintage pattern kits I don't think I can retire early doing it. Somehow, when somebody sees one of the classic planes, it starts the old memory juices flowing and I think a lot of people then get the nostalgia bug. (I know I do). I certainly wish Jeff the best of luck, and will purchase one of his kits when he gets them ready. I'll post a picture of the Fiberglass/foam Taurus when I get it finished...then modelers will have a couple of choices.

We have a surprising number of kit manufacturers here in North Carolina. Everybody seems to have their little nitch as planes are being produced here from .010 jewels from Early R/C to absolutely beautiful vintage kits from Joe Grasso, state of the art Pattern ships by Piedmont Models, laser cut jets from a company in Greensboro, and of course, my vintage pattern ships. It's a tough world for kit guys right now since a lot of people believe you assemble a plane and the skills to build haven't been passed on. But that's OK, things change, and the pleasure of building and flying will continue.

Dan Hines
Carolina Custom Aircraft

aka Deadstik.......[8D]
Old 12-30-2004, 01:45 PM
jjpetro

Thanks for the comments guys. I am striving to provide a quality, reproducible product. That's why everything is on CAD and most of the parts will be laser cut. I owned a T/F Taurus (before it found the roof of a new house...another story...boy was that Fox engine screamin') and recall the methods and materials used. My kit is updated and utilizes more modern materials and assembly. The lines and wing form, however, remain true to the original Taurus. I haven't fully decided how much to laser cut and how much to leave to the modeler. That's why the stated price is "around $100" for the full kit. Those are details I will be working out in the next few days/weeks. All of this being said, I'm just looking to make it worthwhile for me and attractive to the potential modeler/buyer.
Old 12-31-2004, 01:09 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I too must agree with Deadstik. Laser cut kits are not cheap when paying for quality work. Even if you own your own laser one must consider the investment. I have not looked at the parts count in a Taurus for some time but we are working on a similar kit the Tauri and I must say ther are quite a few parts to supply. Your $100.00 price sounds kinda low and I would even be interested in a kit. Our Sr Falcon laser cut kit sells for $150.00 and sold very well. The profit after all the cost were added up made it a labor of love only!! I am not sure we will continue with it though with the introduction of the ARF. At around $160.00 street price it is a bargain and I took a good look at a kit a few weeks ago and the quality is very good. I wish you well in your endeavor and glad to see another American kit manufacturer on the block! If I can be of any service let me know.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Old 12-31-2004, 09:06 AM
jjpetro

Thanks Bob. Well guys, I talked with Lance (the person I bought the product line from) he too, feels "around $100" is too low and encouraged me to stick with the short kit. I'll be sending the laser cut files out soon, pull all the supplies in, and count the cost. You may get your $200 full kit after all!! ...but I hope not. I will let those who have responded by e-mail for a kit know what the final cost will be in a few weeks. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks for your offer of service Bob.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:33 AM

ORIGINAL: BobHH

I too must agree with Deadstik. Laser cut kits are not cheap when paying for quality work. Even if you own your own laser one must consider the investment. I have not looked at the parts count in a Taurus for some time but we are working on a similar kit the Tauri and I must say ther are quite a few parts to supply. Your $100.00 price sounds kinda low and I would even be interested in a kit. Our Sr Falcon laser cut kit sells for $150.00 and sold very well. The profit after all the cost were added up made it a labor of love only!! I am not sure we will continue with it though with the introduction of the ARF. At around $160.00 street price it is a bargain and I took a good look at a kit a few weeks ago and the quality is very good. I wish you well in your endeavor and glad to see another American kit manufacturer on the block! If I can be of any service let me know.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Bob,

I hope you can keep your kit in production. I’m sure you would agree that a kit built aircraft will always be superior and cannot be compared to an ARF. ARFs are just disposable objects to be used and abused with no emotional attachment. I must admit that I’ve assembled a few ARFs but I never did view them as something of value like my kit, plan or scratch built aircraft.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:31 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder in all this mention of reproduction.

But I had talked to Great Planes/ Top Flite a few years ago about doing a couple of their long out of production kits. In short terms, they mentioned NO WAY. They still had copyright on them, had some demand for them, and had an interest in making up a repo-line too. No licensing was possible at that time, and no authorized reproductions either.

Have things changed with management in Chicago? I'd like to find out next week when they show up at the A.M.A. show.

Wm.
Old 05-10-2020, 06:20 PM
Boomer1298

Default Traus

Originally Posted by jjpetro View Post
Thanks for the comments guys. I am striving to provide a quality, reproducible product. That's why everything is on CAD and most of the parts will be laser cut. I owned a T/F Taurus (before it found the roof of a new house...another story...boy was that Fox engine screamin') and recall the methods and materials used. My kit is updated and utilizes more modern materials and assembly. The lines and wing form, however, remain true to the original Taurus. I haven't fully decided how much to laser cut and how much to leave to the modeler. That's why the stated price is "around $100" for the full kit. Those are details I will be working out in the next few days/weeks. All of this being said, I'm just looking to make it worthwhile for me and attractive to the potential modeler/buyer.
are you making traus kits still?
Old 04-05-2021, 02:30 PM
eunkim559
My Feedback: (10)

hi my name is a eunkim i like to have a taurus kit how to get them let me know thank you