Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

TRI SQUIRE by Midwest

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:29 PM
J3FAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TRI SQUIRE by Midwest

I found this kit in my warehouse, other than dusty it seems to be in original condition.
Is it WORTH anything, to anybody ?
=========================================
==========================================
=============================================
DECEMBER 20TH, 2004
CORRECTING THIS POST ......

FOLKS, please accept my apologies for PREMATURELY POSTING this KIT.
I actually saw it in my warehouse, and came home and posted it,
BUT I NEVER ACTUALLY HAVE OPENED THE BOX TO INSPECT CONTENTS,CONDITION,ETC.
I will do this as soon as possible and give a FULL report of what condition it is in.
I can tell that it truly is an ORIGINAL, and it was GIVEN to me by a Club Member, as a gift.
WILL POST, CORRECTLY, soon as possible.
RICK
Old 12-19-2004, 04:44 PM
My Feedback: (17)

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: TRI SQUIRE by Midwest

This might help http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEDW:IT

The one before that one went for about $85.
Old 12-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

J3,

You really should build it... it is a very easy flying airplane that needs only rudder/elevator and motor. Noting the weight of the balsa Midwest used in those years, I don't think electric conversion would be a good idea... but.. as a gas plane, they are wonderful... I can still remember those HUGE blocks of balsa they give you and then say...."Carve nose blocks to shape".... seems SOOOOOOO easy... ususally took at least an hour and a half to make the nose look good..... great plane... but.. if you do put it on Ebay... it is a buyers marker... use a reserve to protect what YOU think it is worth. I wouldn't go $85.. but I'd buy it if you want to sell it.. cause I would build it.....

Dan
Old 12-19-2004, 10:25 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

I read someplace that the Tri-square was being reproduced by someone.

Anybody have an idea as to who is doing this?

Wm.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:33 AM
fokker20planes

My brother had a Tri-Squire in the mid 70's. As mentioned above it's a real ( true) builders kit. It was a fine trainer though. You wont have problems selling it. I saw one on eBay go for $120. A lot of desire for this kit in good condition.
Tom
Old 12-20-2004, 01:42 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I used to work at Midwest in the 60's and helped pack alot of Tri-Squires. Back then, they were all builders kits. I flew mine with Galloping Ghost.

For Coos Bay, Joe Grasso will cut a Tri-Squire. His kits are fantastic. I got an Esquire from his last summer. He cuts the nose blocks and saves a lot of the carving desciribed above.

Rich
Old 12-20-2004, 02:02 PM
skypupmut

he trisquire is about the best trainer I have ever flown
had one in the 60`s flew it on GG then digitrio home built radio ( RCM plans ) that I finally gave to a kid
rebuilt one on 1992 it has over 750 flights on it
reduce diedral by half, enlarge the rudder and slevator they were meant for single chan and with a 25 fp
it rolls (barrel ) flys inverted even outside loops on rud elev. no ailerons
most of my students have made their first landings with my trisquire
and is always in the truck to introduce kids and older kids to the hobby
I have another one ready to cover just in case.

Jean
CFI Club Aeromodeliste de l`Estrie
Old 12-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Cutlass 60

My first R/C model was a Tri Squire built in '69'. Powered by a Supertigre .23 and guided by an F&M Quasar, it was a fine trainer and sport flyer. It was silk and dope in orange with black trim. It took me forever to build it, but did it ever look good when I finished it. When it was test hopped, the club's resident test pilot said "It flys great". I felt 10 feet tall and had a grin that went from ear to ear. Ahhhh, the memories!!!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:59 PM
boberos

To J3FAN,

Please don't build the actual kit. Copy all the parts & build the copy.
This way, you will preserve the original kit.

Do a search engine search. Someone recently had a "cook up" (building review) on this design.

Good luck,
Bob G
Old 12-21-2004, 08:23 AM
skypupmut

Ditto on that and check the mods in RCM sept 66 page 26 and may 70 page 15
and take out 1/2 or more of dihedral out for flying with propo radio[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 12-21-2004, 12:54 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Coosbay, we hope to offer the Tri Squire in the future. Just finishing up on the Esquire prototype seen below. Hopefully the laser cut kits will be available the first of the year. The Tri Squire and Esquire share the same wing and tail. Next for us is the Little Esquire then I hope to go on to the Tri Squire series. All were great fliers.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46373.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	205288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79937.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	205289  
Old 12-21-2004, 07:52 PM
skypupmut

Real nice
your site brings back many
found memories
Old 12-30-2004, 10:18 PM
FlyNow

Hello All,

The Tri Squire was my first RC model. I learned to crash and fly on this model. In fact, my brother and I both learned to fly on this airplane with no outside help. It was tough and could be repaired by an in-experienced modeler. I am proof of that. I never gave much thought to my early models until recently. For some reason, I have wanted to collect my early models again. So far, I have about 12 kits in orig. condition. I guess I am starting my second child hood. Problem is, I never left my first child hood when it comes to building and flying model planes. (every type you could imagine)

I just recently Bought a Tri Squire orig. kit. I plan to do what Boberos suggested and copy the plans and kit and build the copy. I don't want to consume the kit. It makes me feel good just to own a complete orig. kit.

Also for those interested in a good review for building the Tri Squire, check out this site.

http://trisquire.homestead.com/

Also, for J3Fan, if you decide to part with this kit, I would be interested. Please drop me an email at: [email protected]

Thanks,
Frosty Arnold
Old 12-31-2004, 09:48 PM

First RC aircraft circa 1966. Ghost system with dual Rand actuators, SH100 receiver. Flew it for a couple of years before getting a PCS system and a Skylark. Black and White TV too!

Name:	Jh16059.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	209005  
Old 12-31-2004, 10:34 PM
J3FAN

THAT SITE ABOUT BUILDING THE TRI SQUIRE
Is a work of LOVE....
I congratulate whomever it is that is doing it
Please bring it all the way to its conclusion
Will it "keep" the rubber banded stab ?
or will it be fixed , as in more modern standards ?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:06 AM
FlyNow

Thanks 8178 for the neat picture. It is almost the same color I made my first RC, Tri Squire.

Here is a picture of my first RC plane, the Tri Squire. Yellow monokote, a new Fox .19 and a brand new World Engines single stick 4 channel radio were installed and ready to go. A few days after this picture was taken, my parents drove my brother and myself over to a big open field. It was the big "Event" for our family that year. I won the coin toss between my brother and myself and as my dad hand launched the plane, the horror set in that I had absolutely no Idea how to control this thing. The whole flight lasted about 20 seconds until I nosed the plane up, up, up, and over then, in straight into the ground. Mom helped pick up all the little pieces up in a coffee cup. I was amazed how many pieces this thing could break into upon impact!!

Well, I rebuilt the plane and each flight got just a little bit longer than the one before. Until both my brother and myself could get the bird around the sky and land reasonably close to where we started without knocking the landing gear off.

Is there anyone else with Tri Squire pictures?? I would love to see them. And, I would love to hear about your experiences.

Also, the website about the Tri Squire construction, I posted earlier, has a contact email link if anyone wants to contact those folks.

http://trisquire.homestead.com/

Thanks for the great Thread,
Frosty Arnold
[email protected]

FlyNow

Name:	Vs55627.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	209077  
Old 01-01-2005, 05:11 PM

ORIGINAL: FlyNow

Thanks 8178 for the neat picture. It is almost the same color I made my first RC, Tri Squire.
That’s good old silk and dope covering in days before they made heat sensitive glue MonoKote.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:55 PM
kamakazi
My Feedback: (1)

The Tri Squire was my first plane also, I bought it from the old sly fox himself, Duke Fox at Ft Smith, Arkansas. Duke convinced me that the Tri Squire was the ultimate in a trainer and I had my EK Little Red Brick to guide it with, that was 1970. I covered it with Silray, a part synthetic, silk cloth. It didnt look too good but it flew great with the Fox .25 he also sold me. Well Duke was right, that was a great little trainer and I wish I knew what I did with it, I would love to have it back and teach my grandson on it. I dont know how much fuel I ran through that engine, but it was a lot. The plane had over 100 flights at least on it when I graduated to an Ugly Stick, which wasnt too new at that time either.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM
Bill Groman

I say build the kit. These are only marginally valuable as collector kits as they were produced well into the seventies, and the kit quality could be pretty rough. I just finished a complete buildup of a TriSquire for my web site www.ClassicAircraftModels.com and it has been challenging but a lot of fun.

The TriSquire was very popular in it's day. I have gotten many emails from builders around the world interested in the TriSquire, and a lot of them relate stories of fond flying memories of the TS from the sixties and seventies. All of the Midwest Squire models fly very well and are worth building.

My web site TS is currently being covered in silk, and will have a butyrate Stinson Maroon and gray scheme just like the box art.

Name:	Ge94755.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	215743  
Old 01-21-2005, 10:21 PM
J3FAN

Today I retrieved the TRI SQUIRE kit from the warehouse, and after looking inside I put it right back. The plans are in the box, then an assortment of random wood which is impossible to say was part of the original kit. Somebody has "picked" their way through this box. The landing gear is not in there, there are no traces of any hardware and impossible to determine that the contents are related to what once was a kit.
I apologize for this useless posting.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:50 PM
kdheath

Hey, that's OK. Lot's of good memories surfaced. Maybe it will motivate Bob to get the new kit in production. Hint. Hint.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:02 PM
J3FAN

IF ANYBODY WANTS TO RECEIVE THIS KIT BOX I will gladly wrap and mail it out.NO CHARGE
The box is intact.
Inside there is a WIDE array of wood.
The plans seem to be whole, plus there are some sketches + diagrams apparently done by someone who was attempting to use this kit.
Most of the wood seems to be part of the kit. no way of knowing.
the "landing gear" is not there, but maybe the original kit did not have one.
your request and your address will get this to you.
FREE
RICK
Old 02-05-2005, 01:40 PM
Bill Groman

Email sent. I know of several potential good homes for it.
Old 02-05-2005, 02:36 PM
J3FAN

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....
BILL GROMAN WILL GET THIS BOX SOMETIME WITHIN THE NEXT 10 OR 15 DAYS

THREAD WILL BE CLOSED NOW
Old 02-25-2005, 05:33 PM
J3FAN

ON THE 25th of FEBRUARY I SENT AN EMAIL TO BILL GROMAN ASKING HIM IF THE TRISQUIRE WAS NOT YET RECEIVED.
HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING ABOUT RECEIVING IT
I hope it wasn't LOST by the USPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.