Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 08:29 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

I will send them out to Frank by Wednesday at the latest, Dan
Old 01-31-2005, 05:39 PM
CliffordH
My Feedback: (9)

I found the photos of the stik. This is a hand enlargement of a stik to 8 feet of wing and flew with a super tiger 90.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65725.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	223324   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24267.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	223325  
Old 01-31-2005, 07:06 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry, I can’t understand why anyone would be putting together one of these aberrations. This is the face of modeling you want to put into public view? Please explain.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:23 PM
dls
My Feedback: (113)

I`ts called fun and I don`t mind the public knowing I have fun with old odd models.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:33 PM
J3FAN

DLS

"HIGH PLAINS" ..... begins his post with """"" I'm sorry."""""

Your only answer should have been : Y E S Y O U A R E (sorry ! )

Such a snobbish, ridiculous, conceited, frankly stupid remark.....! should NOT have honored with any answer.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:45 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When form becomes more important than function, we all loose!
Old 01-31-2005, 09:42 PM
J-3

I signed up for a set of plans and instructions I had a Swizzle Stik when I first started to fly, and look forward to the super size!!

Thanks....Brian
Old 02-02-2005, 04:48 PM
radioflier

Many years ago I bought a ratted-out 40 size swizzle stick for $15 at a swap shop. I took a lot of heat from the regulars at the field whenever I drug that thing out. It turned out to be the best flying plane I ever had. Since I didn't have anything invested in it I had no fear in trying things I wouldn't do with a plane I had a lot of time and emotional investment in. Finally destroyed it when it went in hard against a tree as a result of deadstick engine on takeoff with about 15' of altitude.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:36 PM
Frank Schwartz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gentlemen:
I have just sent out some of the copies of the Swiozzle Stick 60 plans which includes copies of some of the templates, landing gear layout and instructions. I had to go back to Kinko's this morning for more copies. Many thanks to the two R/C'rs who allowed us to use their masters for the plans and instructions, etc. I am doing this as a courtesy to my fellow modelers. I am not making a profit from this. Probably spending more in time and gas than I am asking in return. I think I enclosed in each mailing tube an actual list of my costs. I am sending the rest of the sets out tomorrow. If you receive them and I did not include my costs, here they are: Copy of Plans with tax 7.65, copy of instructions and templates with tax 5.46, cost of Post Office mailing tube 3.69. Total is 16.80..and when you receive them please note the cost of the postage on the tube and add to the 16.80...which is what my absolute cost was and you can remit to my address on the mailing tube.
A few observations: one, is that a 1/8 inch light ply wing dihedral brace is specified. My own choice would be aircraft plywood 3/16 to 1/4. Better safe than sorry. The other is that the plans show that egg shaped rudder, which is not to my personal liking. Some folks love it, however. On the one I am going to make I will use a standard shape for the fin and rudder. Different strokes for different folks!!
Oh, yes, I have a very nice old K&B 60 (looks like the old Veco 60) that I plan to use on mine....
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz
Old 02-07-2005, 02:27 PM
CliffordH

Thank you Frank! You are the true spirit of the modeling world.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:34 PM
J3FAN

PLUS IN ADDITION
YOU ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR !
Did you include J3FAN (Richard Barr) in your remittance ?
Was there anywhere a LIST OF MATERIALS ? did you notice ?
and a SPECIAL THANKYOU to the two gentlemen who supplied the originals....! ! ! !
If you need to be paid right away, please post right here and I will shoot
a cheque directly.
THank you ever so much for this enormous favour !!!!!
Richard F Barr (j3-fan)

Name:	Ca81306.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	226107   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo38773.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	226108  
Old 02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
CliffordH

J3FAN,

That is a nice looking plane you are holding! What is it and how does it fly?

BTW: Where in Texas are you? I lived in San Marcos for about a year and spend a lot of time in Brenham.

Cliff
Old 02-07-2005, 06:46 PM
J3FAN

CLIFFORD H..........thanks.............those three photos do NOT need to be there. I was trying for something ELSE....the duplicate proves I don't half know what I am doing. The orange plane is my DONATION to a young dispossessed person who wants to do R/C and can't afford it. Follow the thread PAY IT FORWARD in the beginners forum....the plane is somewhat of a JOKE that was put out by HobbyPeople, it is the BLUEMAX....it was (discontinued) a beautiful flyer, it runs a Magnum .52fs and it will go up to NYC as a gift . I cannot locate a transmitter for it, I need a 4channel Futaba on chann.47....very hard to locate a TX by itself and I am trying real hard posting everywhere. I am 67 y/o and getting diss-abled fast so the time has arrived to get rid of the great number of models, radios,tools etc This DONATION will probably be the first if it works out well.
I live just North of downtown Houston, past the 610 belt. I don't belong to any RCClub but I teach RC constantly in a public field called Scobee.
I know San Marcos...was in SALES for 15 years, know Texas well.....visited your impressive caves too.
Best regards.
Richard
Old 02-09-2005, 12:02 PM
Frank Schwartz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, today (2/9) I mailed out the rest of the SS60 plans and templates and instructions. Some were mailed earlier this week but I had to get more copies made yesterday as more people wanted them than I had anticipated. I trust everyone will receive them shortly and will be well pleased with them. Also thanks to those thoughtful gentlemen who furnished the plans and templates and instructions for the rest of us.
Some thoughts and obversations: I would use heavier grade plywood for the dihedral brace. I note the stick booms or fuselage sticks or whatever you call them, seem to be made up with sheeting on the side. Hollow type construction it appears. One wonders... Well, I can get some very nice fir or white pine sticks of almost the same size and quite good and light at the hardware store...I've used them before on scratch built 40 size Swizzle Sticks and am contemplating doing the same on this biggie...
Plus I am finishing up two SS30's for .19s..see the Swizzle Stick 30 thread in this same section.
Regards to all.
Frank Schgwartz
in Hendersonville, TN
Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 PM
DRCRAIG
My Feedback: (31)

Frank,
The plans arrived safe and sound today, 2/9/05, and are as complete as you promised. You are truly trusting a soul for sending them out on an "honor system", to be paid, basis. The plans are great and this should be a fun project despite what what said a few posts earlier. Your check will be in the mail tomorrow.
Thanks again for all your efforts.
Craig
Battle Creek, MI
Old 02-09-2005, 08:12 PM
J-3

Hi Frank, I received my tube in the mail today and enjoyed looking over the plan. Thanks for taking the time to do this right, and to those who donated the material, my hat is off to you!! I'll send the money to you tomorrow.

If anyone develops a parts list please post it. I already have a few thoughts on modifications to make life easier. Like a two piece wing.
Thanks again to all who contributed...Brian
Old 02-11-2005, 03:26 PM
J3FAN

FRANK SCHWARTZ
J3-FAN now acknowledges RECEIPT of the tube. It arrived in today's mail ( 2/11/2005 ) about five minutes ago. I thank you for the EFFORT put into this.
I am returning in tomorrow's mail a cheque for the due amount plus postage and "rounding it off a bit" to show appreciation.
THANK YOU is also herewith extended to the two suppliers of the original paper work.
Who will be first to fly ?
RICK
Old 02-11-2005, 04:39 PM
CliffordH

Frank,
Mine got here today also. Thank you very much, the payment will go in the mail tomorrow.
Cliff

J3-fan -- I have this J3 about ready to cover with a Saito 170R3.

Name:	Jh14805.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	227940   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13613.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	227941  
Old 02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
J3FAN

CLIFFORDH
Thank you SO MUCH for the jaw-dropping article. I had never heard of such a thing.
If you are going to use the Triplejug SAITO
PLEASE
do not OMIT the circular exhaust made by KELEO.....that addition alone should add
immensely to the overall effect.
I don't know the price for the 3 but the exhaust for my PEGASUS 4cyl. he sells for $ 125.00
and it is a STANDARD ( i.e. "ready made item") I think maybe the one you need is also ready made
GO FOR IT !
RICK
Old 02-11-2005, 08:40 PM
J-3

Hey CliffordH, I really like the triple jug! I can't wait to see yours. I never new they built that one. The J-3 book I have obviously is not very thorough. Great article, I saved a copy....Brian
Old 02-11-2005, 10:15 PM
CliffordH

Thanks guys, I am glad you enjoyed the article. I will get out the book tomorrow that has the data on the type approval for the J3-P and scan it, I really like the photo of the Cub in that. It is a B/W photo but you know it is a yellow cub and the "Piper Flyers" lettering on the fuselage side is what I like. That makes it a really unique plane.

Here are a couple of photos of my in process J3, the only problem is I am currently distracted by other things but will get back to this before long.

BTW: Please just call me Cliff, I have to look twice when I see Clifford haha. . .

Name:	Xv65708.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	228130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24514.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	228131  
Old 02-12-2005, 09:18 AM
J3FAN

CLIFF
now that I see the photos of the motor on the J3
it is ESSENTIAL that you at least go to the site that produces the CIRCULAR EXHAUST COLLECTOR RINGS
please PLEASE go to : www.keleo-creations.com
and you will immediately see the one that applies to your 3
The original had it, why not your special model ?
DO IT
RICK-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-the one you need sells for $ 95.00 + $ 10.00 s/h

www.keleo-creations.com
Old 02-12-2005, 10:17 AM
CliffordH

Rick,

Like I said I had planned on getting one but I don't think the stock exhaust will work. The 6 3/4 inch diameter will be too small to go around the cowl. If you look at the photo and see where the ring is and then go look at the head on shop of the model, I think it is too small. I will have to talk to them and get a larger ring made for this application. I have emailed them before and they where nice people and seemed willing to work with you so I don't think there will be a problem.

Have a good Saturday, have to go get funds in the mail to Frank for the plans.
Cliff

Name:	Pn35848.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	228281  
Old 02-12-2005, 02:00 PM
J3FAN

J3-fan displaying the plans for the SStik. I begin collecting the materials now and begin the build USE THIS OPORTUNITY to thank ......dls and DENNIS and Frank Schwartz for taking the time and the trouble of supplying all of this stuff.
RICK

Name:	Fd91890.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	228362  
Old 02-13-2005, 11:15 AM
CliffordH

J3-Fan it looks like you are getting ready to go with the big stik. What is that old saying about walk softly and carry a big stik? Thanks to the great folks associated with this thread there are several of us who can carry, and fly, a big stik now. Thanks again!

Found a bad scan of the photo I was talking about, will have to see if I can get another one.

Good day to all!
Cliff

Name:	Rp42271.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	228753  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.