Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Mr. Mulligan

Old 03-08-2005, 01:22 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mr. Mulligan

Hello Everyone

I'm considering buying a 100" Mr. Mulligan, and powering it with a Super Tigre 3250.
Weight of the plane is around 20 pounds

Has any one flown one of these? Or been around when one was flown.

I know originally the Mr. Mulligan was a race plane and the first one built was crashed in route to an air race.

I'm wondering if it would be a fun flier or a handful.

I’ve been flying just over a year and fly a 6 pound pattern plane with a Saito 82, a U-Can-Do 46
And a 70” high wing tail dragger called Dragon 40 with a K&B 60 Twister.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:03 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Mr. Mulligan

Here's a link to some pretty good info of the Mulligan:
http://www.arkairmuseum.org/airplanes.html

I would expect the Mulligan to be a good flying bird. The old Bud Nosen kit Mulligan flew fine with just a Quadra for power. Do get some help from someone with experience in the big birds. There are some things that need attention-like the control hookups and being sure you have enough servo and battery power. Flying the big birds is different, too. They use up a lot of space. And the Mulligan might want to drop a wingtip in a stall. Neat old bird, though.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Strat2003
My Feedback: (1)

My Mr. Mulligan experience comes from a .60 sized one based on the Tony Lombardo design available from Flying Models. I made lots of modifications to make it more true to scale since the designer took lots of liberties to make it a nicer flying model.

The airplane flies well, but it's real 'snappy'. i suspect because of the small horizontal stab. Not a problem if you're ready for it, but scary the first time it happens. The only other problem is the same as the Paige Gee Bees, it noses over on just about every landing! Most of the mass on those old round-motor racers is pretty high off the ground so the landing gear is a lot taller than it looks. If I were doing it over again, I'd move the gear forward a little bit and make the tail larger.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:31 PM
mwhar760
My Feedback: (18)

Be ready for some work if you get a nosen kit the one i aquired had very poor die cutting on everything,3/16 door skin for 1/4 ply,3/32 doorskin instead of 1/8 ply. trying to mate off sized wood to standard thickness looks very bad. ive recut all ply and balsa due to the poor quality of the kit.i plan to cut everything new hopefully i may be able to salvage the wing ribs