Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Bombshell Buzzard

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 10:54 AM
swixtt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombshell Buzzard

hello...

i acquired a very old 72" Bombshell from Norwalk that was quite heavily damaged. It was never finished so most of the damage was done during all those years of 'storage'!
What type of engine are guys running in this plane!

thanks pete
Old 03-10-2005, 09:55 PM
vintagemxr

Default RE: Bombshell Buzzard

Pete, I built that kit back in the 1980s. Nice plane and flies well. I put an OS .40 4-cycle on it. With a .40 2-cycle it would be fairly zippy. With lots of rudder and elevator throw you can even get the plane to do a 2 channel roll.

[link=http://www.corgifan.com/models/buzzard_bombshell3.jpg]1987 Buzzard Bombshell[/link]
Old 03-10-2005, 10:08 PM
swixtt

Thanks...
nice looking plane!! What did you use for those white stripes?

i have an old .35 OS but i can't seem to get it to run very nicely. I'm waiting for a different plug (idle bar one) and hopefully that will help! It may be too tired to fly again so i may have to look into getting something else for it. A 4Str. would be very nice!! What size of prop are you using?

pete
Old 03-11-2005, 02:37 PM
vintagemxr

Pete,

Glad you like the plane. The covering was Super Monokote and the pin stripe is just Dubro white striping tape, 1/4" wide as I recall. The Bombshell was built about 1986 or '87 and got sold off long ago to finance the next project, whatever it was. The OS .40 4-stroke used a 10/6 prop or maybe and 11/4. Can't remember anymore.

With your .35, an idle bar plug should help. Make sure everything is squeekie clean inside the engine. Older engines can accumulate varnish and gunk, especially in the needle valve area, and it doesn't take much to hurt smoothness of the engine.

If I was going to put a 4-stroke in a new Bombshell I'd go for a .50 size or so to get a bit of extra omph.

Doug