Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2006, 11:57 PM
DerFly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phil Krafts Original Ugly Stick

Hi CCRC1,

I'd most appreciate a copy too!

Thanks in advance [email protected]
Old 06-16-2006, 02:58 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CCRC,
sorry about that i was putting a period at the end of the sentence,so much for grammar when using the net. anyway I corrected the address in that post and here [email protected] As i have not recieved them as yet.again I appologize for the trouble.will let you know if the pdf file shows up.thanks.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:03 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Still won't work, the word "also" is attached to the front of the address. When you post an E-mail address here it should be on its own line so other letters,numbers and symbols don't get mixed in.
It sent the file to
[email protected]
yesterday so you should have it. I believe that is the address you are trying to post.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:54 PM
Bliss-Stick

Hey team just signed up today after seeing this depth of interest in the stik. After my Eagle 2 trainer fell plummeted from the sky some time ago i've decided to build a stik. I have the plan which states that the motor should be between something and 45. I recently purchased an os 46 with the intention of using it on the stick but after some good reading i have become worried that a brand new motor is could cause me problems and that the 46 is too big. Should i take it back and get the 40 or will this be ok ???
oh you know those wavey designs on the ailerons etc are they necessary or will it fly nicely with straight edges?
Cheers
Dan
Old 06-16-2006, 08:57 PM
CCRC1

The .46 will fly it just fine. The scalloped trailing edges were used by Phil Kraft to create a WWI look to the airplane. It will fly perfect without them.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:24 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

FWIW, I recently ordered the RCM plans, and they are pretty close, if not exactly the same as those supplied in the late '70's vintage Jensen kits. I am going from memory, but I did build 3 of these kits and several from scratch. They were almost ARFs, in that I could have one framed up and ready to sand in about 3 hours. It was one of the few machine cut kits, where you used almost all the pieces that came out of the box. On the last few, the only pieces left over were the wing and LG dowels, the lower tail fin (I made mine taildraggers) and the little dowels meant to hold the hatch cover rubber bands. Great kits!

I covered all but one of mine with monokote, and never had any issues, even with spirited flying.

I am considering building one for my son.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
joefrank
My Feedback: (185)

please send me your pdf file of the ugly stick, thank you so much. [email protected]----------------Joe

Jo
Old 07-02-2006, 08:41 PM
ivanmassaro

Hello!

I would also like a copy of the plans for the Ugly Stick. Send me a copy to the following address [email protected]
I'm in Brazil.
Thank's
Old 07-05-2006, 07:29 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My circa 1968 advertisement thingy from Ace says the Ugly Stik was originally called the SQUARE STIK. Difference was that some scallops were added to ailerons.

This sound correct?

Wm.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:13 PM
CCRC1

In the original construction article Phil Kraft talks about the name:
"I am not sure who first applied the name Ugly Stik to the design, but whoever it was certainly applied a descriptive name.
Wherever it was flown, I was subjected to a great deal of kidding about finally having developed an airplane even uglier than the Kwik-Fli. There were also a great many requests for the plans, particularly among newcomers to radio control who wished for an easy-to-fly, rugged, expendable airplane to learn on-which this surely is.
There was in the early square design something of a World War I type aircraft. As a joke with assorted scribbling on the plans, we came up with a design vaguely reminiscent of a Fokker-Eindecker. The results were perhaps no less ugly, but did tend to produce a design with a certain amount of charm and appeal."
Phil Kraft
Radio Control and Model Aircraft World
May-June 1966

I could find nowhere in the article where he referred to the name Square Stik. If your article from ACE was from two years after the original article, it may have been referring one of the many, many copies, knock offs, clones or look a likes.
Old 07-06-2006, 10:29 AM
JDBuddy

I would love a set of .pdf plans for the ugly stick as well.

[email protected]

Thanks very much,

John
Old 07-26-2006, 09:27 AM
dogtoes

CCRC1, I just sent you a PM with my address.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 07-29-2006, 10:22 PM
Ken Kehlet
My Feedback: (89)

Hi Everyone,

I have an Original Jensen Das Ugly Stick kit. I have had this one for about 35 years. I have been building and flying R/C for about 50 years. AMA # 1528
Back in the late 1960s, I crashed my Esquire and it damaged my Kraft receiver. []I took it to Vista, California and met with Phil Kraft. He looked at my Esquire and asked if I wanted to build some models for him. Between myself and another flying buddy named Danny Jones, we agreed to build 36 of the Jensen prototype kits that were to be called Das Ugly Stick. Phil had my receiver repaired, put it into his "Stick" and flew the model without extending the transmitter antenna.

A few weeks later, Jensen provided me with all the components to build the 36 Ugly Sticks for Phil to use as Test Beds for repaired receivers. Danny and I thought we would never get them all built. (Elmer's wood glue and Ambroid) Silk and dope stunk up the neighborhood. Gave me a headache so bad I would get dizzy and had to get away from it for a while.[:'(] It took us a few months, but we did deliver every last one of them to the Kraft facility. Test Beds? You Bet. Good Flying, all around fun machine. A Lee Custom Veco .61 would put it straight up till it was going out of sight. Grate flying model that just about every kit manufacturer has copied in some form or another. I have one ready to fly at this time.

Off my Soapbox, Ken [email protected]
Old 08-02-2006, 06:57 PM
cjposada

I would love a set of .pdf plans for the ugly stick as well. Will a .46 pull it right?

Thanks

[email protected]
Old 08-22-2006, 08:54 PM
Koffi

I would love to have a copy of your PDF file for the Ugly Stick and would sincerely appreciate it if you could email a copy to:
[email protected].

Thanks,
Ralph
Old 08-29-2006, 10:17 AM
byrocat

If you're not swamped with requests, can I get a copy of the PDF file as well?

bdealhoy-AT-sympatico-DOT-ca

Thanks!
Old 09-04-2006, 11:43 AM
CCRC1

OK, I have said for a while that I couldn't believe somebody, wasn't laser cutting an Ugly Stik kit. I was wandering around Lazer-Works web site last night and if you go into the "Full List" section, guess what is there![sm=teeth_smile.gif]
They are cutting from the RCM plan (PL-939 cat.1) and the short kit is $47.05
So for those of you who are fans of the Ugly Stik and want a kit, Lazer-Works is helping out.
I have been looking for this kit to try and get a club building project going and to spark some interest in building again. The Ugly Stik is a simple easy build and easy airplane to fly. Most guys have the needed parts and hardware already.
I will be contacting them for an order shortly.[sm=thumbup.gif]
http://lazer-works.com/list.html
Old 09-04-2006, 12:01 PM
samm01
My Feedback: (1)

Dear CCRC1,
I'd, too, like a copy of the pdf file of the Ugly Stick. i would love to build a wonderful plane like this.
Thank you and regards,
Sam.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:01 PM
mcledan

I just came across this posting while doing some digging on the Sweet and Low Stick. If it is still available I would like to receive the .pdf file you mentioned.

Many thanks
Dan McLeod
Old 09-16-2006, 07:46 PM
PropSpinner
My Feedback: (15)

Here is my Classic Ugly Stick built from free internet plans before I installed the radio and engine. It has some modifications for strength and the air foil is symmetrical. There is no dihedral either.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57847.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	525247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26816.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	525248  
Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 AM
CCRC1

ORIGINAL: mcledan

I just came across this posting while doing some digging on the Sweet and Low Stick. If it is still available I would like to receive the .pdf file you mentioned.

Many thanks
Dan McLeod
Dan I would be happy to send it to you, but you forgot to post your e-mail address in both your PM and above post.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:03 PM
bikerbill29

Wouldn't mind havin' a copy of those.

[email protected]
Old 09-23-2006, 09:02 AM
J-3

Hi CCRC1,
I would like to get a copy of the plans too. Thanks for your time and efforts...Brian
[email protected]
Old 10-03-2006, 04:10 PM
ncpiperpilot
My Feedback: (31)

Hi CCRC1,

I also would love a copy of the Ugly Stick pdf. Please send it to:
[email protected]

If anyone wants to really build an authentic replica, I just listed my '69 Kraft Gold Medal Series here:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemID=227387

I could even provide an Enya .60 II or III for ya.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-14-2006, 06:12 PM
RC-PowerBus

Hello,
I'd like to contribute to this thread a bit, having my interest in this plane for quite some time.
Never build one, but always wanted one from the seventies onward, to fly.

I recently bought a bARF Big Stik 40 from GP.... only to be flown after reconditioning the new in box plane. Grrrrrrrr.....
...and acquired a Jensen via Ebay semi mint in box. Sadly -semi- for some parts are missing. (side boards/sheets of the fuse) But at all still a jewel!

There are several very interesting small print hint notes scattered around in the Jensen box... one very interesting reads...
-WING RIBS This is a semi-symmetrical wing section. The bottom of each rib is flat from the main spar to the trailing edge for ease of construction...!-

So the Jensen Ugly wing isn't symmetrical at all!
I always though it was symmetrical. Heck!

Have plans of a Sweet stick, Copy of the Graupner Middle Stik (and Kwik-Fly) an some digitized from the internet!

I linked up to Lazer Works.com to have a look. Great tip!
The RCM Stik sounds interesting and looks fairly priced.

But... Are there differences in sizes and shapes Jensen vs RCM, regarding the fuse? I read about the wing...
The Jensen has a span of 60 inch, the RCM 56 inch. Is the Jensen just proportionally scaled up, with some upgrading of construction?
Can one of the -Ugly- experts tell me more?

Here a link to a digi-Stik download... (There is no C.G. given on these plans...)
http://www.willingtons.com/mymac/Plans_Download.htm

But via google some more of the same to find... if you have time...

http://plans.rcmodell.hu/

Have fun!
The dwg and dxf files can be opened in Adobe Illustrator...

Thanks,
RC-PowerBus
The Netherlands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.