Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 10:43 PM
The PIPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just a "quick" one to Jim-I Emailed George to advise him!

Dear Jim Messer:

The PIPE Here yet again-and I just Emailed George Watson to "remind" him you still have those two ProLines available!

I have THREE of these ProLine TX'es myself, that are ALL going to get MicroStar encoders in the coming months-for my own use, as they're all going to be fitted with Gordon's synthesized Ham frequency deck-and I hope George DOES get in touch with you about them SOON!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 12-28-2002, 02:21 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Thanks PIPE: Appreciate your help.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:29 PM
mikerc
My Feedback: (11)

Default $$$

Anyone know the going rate for a JR PCM9 G-Series Single stick radio. Thanks for your help.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	45054_2759.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	18318  
Old 01-05-2003, 12:22 AM
ec121k

I've seen the PCM-9's go for alittle over $500. Just sold mine to George Watson.

Sorry Pipe but I'm throwing in the towel on the "knobby" at least for now. I may get back into it but I don't have the time to make up a computer SS system and need one so it's back to the 2 sticks.

On that other email subject. I understand and it's "gone".

Later,
Tony
Old 01-05-2003, 06:41 AM
Grampaw

Default Heathkit "Walkie Talkie" 4ch TX

Hey Pipe,
Been awhile since my original post (11/4/02) about stuffing a 4ch Futuba into my old Heathkit "vertical" TX case. I had to have some "drainage work" done for the ole ticker soon after that and for a while things slowed down some. I am back on course now. I received an RCU E-Mail notice tonight about single sticks. It wasn't meant for me directly, but I recalled my post to you. To refresh your memory, it was about putting the guts of a Futuba 4ch. in my Heath case. You said I would need a new stick assm. I am going to check with Jensen and FMA as you said and see what develops. I don't have the case top, but a friend who has an aircraft service business offered to bend one to fit for me with the cutouts. I don't fly in any AMA sanctioned events, but my club has a few AM sets flying, so I see no problem with the sticker thing. And to answer your query, no I am not a Technician. I just did the assembly per Heath's directions and made out just fine, so I am confident I can retrofit the parts in the case. Thanks again Pipe and I will let you know how it all comes out...or goes in that is.
Old 01-08-2003, 01:09 AM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

Default Proline SS Transmiters

While looking in Ebay for a dual stick I found that if you go to RADIO CONTROL and type in Proline there is a guy in Las Vegas who appears to be selling at least 6 Proline SS Competion Radios.
Check it out if you need one.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:55 PM
The PIPE

Default Need a repeat reply by Email for someone who found a single stick radio...

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE Here again-and I recently HAD to clean out my Outlook Express Inbox and a message from someone had been lost (a fellow Ham, in fact) who had seen my thread here, that had managed to find themselves a "gutted" single stick radio that had intact control mechanisms-and was planning to install a brand new Ace RC Silver Seven encoder that they were going to build from a kit, along with a new FMA RFD1FM RF deck they had purchased for six meter flying-and was looking for some help from me in getting the whole magilla together!

Please Email me again, whoever you are, since I AM willing to help you-I couldn't help deleting it when my Email inbox starting displaying all sorts of dire messages about not being to view Emails due to "low disk space" or "low memory"-so please, I ask again, Email me back-I LOST your message because of computer problems here at home ealier on Saturday!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
k7dfw
My Feedback: (3)

Default "Getting the Most from Radio Control Systems" by FRED MARKS

This book was offered to someone who declined it so it's up for grabs.

Refer to an earlier message from THE PIPE where he says......

"About that "older gear", though, that's something you COULD start to remedy with an acquisition of an old Fred Marks authored book, "Getting the Most from Radio Control Systems" that has been out of print for a LONG time...and I used to have a copy of that book , which showed the transmitter schematics of Kraft, Heathkit and Ace RC transmitters up through Ace's Silver Seven radio, designed by Fred himself...receiver and servo schematics were even shown in that book, and there was one of the MOST informative diagrams that I have ever seen illustrating the most likely causes of radio control system failure in that book...and fully 50% of those causes were from the airborne batteries losing their charge-holding capacity, with a further 37% being from the transmitter batteries having the same problem!"

I have one of these books and it is available at $30 shipped Priority Mail to a CONUS address.

No missing pages, no torn pages and no written notes. A valuable reference with many schematics.

PayPal (no credit cards) will work with my email as the account.

Rolynn

Old 01-13-2003, 02:54 AM
The PIPE

Default Sorry to say this, but paying off my CAR has to come first these days...

Dear K7DFW:

The PIPE Here yet again-and thanks again for offering the book to me, but...

...I have a VERY pressing financial goal to attain before I can afford to get a book like that on a "spur-of-the-moment" occasion...the goal to be attained is to GET MY CAR ALL PAID OFF by the end of February!

There's EIGHT payments left on it during 2003, and to get ALL EIGHT of those payments made on it before February ends is my TOP PRIORITY these days! That's why I'm working TWO jobs right now, and the income from both of them, as well as from my US Federal tax refund, WILL allow me to get all eight of the remaining $120 payments made by somewhere around the end of February.

I just do NOT need the occasional "bounced checks" headache anymore that those "automatic" payments on that car loan have been leaving me with the last few months, so setting priorities to get something like that PAID OFF and OUT OF THE WAY are too important to ignore any longer!

So, thanks for the book offer, but my money IS occupied with car payments for the next seven weeks' worth of time...at least the August 2003 payment went in this weekend, and the July one looks "good to go" for next weekend...I'm just sorry that I canNOT afford it right now-I can't even afford to go to the WRAMS Show this year, either...just another sacrifice I have to make to get a VERY vicious "financial monkey" off my back... !!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:12 AM
k7dfw
My Feedback: (3)

Default The BOOK

No problem OM, I just wanted to offer it to you first.

Rolynn

..._._

Old 02-09-2003, 01:53 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

Jim,
Did george buy the radios?
Old 02-09-2003, 04:52 PM
G Watson

Default avinut

Yes, I bought them.

George
Old 02-10-2003, 09:33 PM
RandyH
My Feedback: (5)

Default orbit single stick for sale...

in the classifieds forum. I don't know if this transmitter will work with what you are doing here. It's probably an '80's model.

Thanks,
RandyH
Old 02-10-2003, 10:38 PM
kittyhawk

Avinut,
Just to let you know that I had a Proline Competition Six SS narrow-banded by Tony Stillman at Radio South several years ago and of course it carried the Gold Sticker. Mr. Stillman does great work and I'm sure you would be pleased.

Kittyhawk
Old 04-06-2003, 09:50 PM
The PIPE

Default RE: A Microstar single stick MILESTONE....

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN..and these days, even though I don't have ANYTHING to fly right now (my one flyable plane's engine needs new BEARINGS installed to make it runnable again) I've been celebrating in a "small" way, as my very FIRST homemade single stick computer radio-based on Gordon Anderson's MicroStar ( http://mstar2k.com/ ) has PASSED all of its "bench tests", and will soon be on its way on in about a month, when he gets back to Michigan from Florida, to PETE WATERS to get its TWO Ace RC FM RF decks changed from Ch.44 and 53.600 MHz over to channels 47 and 03...and FOUR FM receivers, two Hitec "shift-selectable" 72 MHz 7-channel units, and a pair of Ace RC ProStar 8-channel FM recievers will be sent along with the new MicroStar "knobby" to Pete, to be matched up to it after the MicroStar is "gold stickered" certified for narrowband operation on BOTH 50 and 72 MHz.

Cyrstals for the two Tx deck frequency change are from FMA, as are the new Ch.03 crystals for the Ace Rx-es...I'll be getting Ch.47 crystals for the Hitecs (those crystals ARE Hitec's own) from my LHS when I pick them up from layaway there around the end of this month.

I have a second MicroStar "knobby box" in mind for completion later this year-and THREE ProLine 'Competition Six' single stick Tx-es in line for THEIR MicroStar conversions in the coming year or two... ...but now that the FIRST one is just about ready to rock'n'roll my planes over Halifax, MA, with the Wingbusters, I'm gettin' PUMPED... ...to actually FLY with a computer radio-that I've built myself-that's just about AS good as anything else out there, and in SINGLE STICK format on top of all that...it just don't get any BETTER than THAT!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 04-07-2003, 01:56 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Any of you wizz-bang guys looking for a ham band ch 04 ACE rf board ? $30.00 shipped .Guy told me it worked when I bought radio. E- mail [email protected]
Old 04-20-2003, 10:04 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Default FCC certification

"TWO Ace RC FM RF decks changed from Ch.44 and 53.600 MHz over to channels 47 and 03...and FOUR FM receivers, two Hitec "shift-selectable" 72 MHz 7-channel units, and a pair of Ace RC ProStar 8-channel FM recievers will be sent along with the new MicroStar "knobby" to Pete, to be matched up to it after the MicroStar is "gold stickered" certified for narrowband operation on BOTH 50 and 72 MHz."

Pipe,

Congrats on finishing the M*2K knobby.

I have a question. How are you going to operate the transmitter legally on 72 MHz since the ACE RF module was never certified with the other electronics? The gold sticker program (was an AMA program only and not an FCC requirement) ended in about 1993. As you know, this is not an issue on the ham bands, but is on 72 MHz.

I don't know the status of FMA's new RF modules as it pertains to FCC type acceptance. It would be interesting to know.

Dan
Old 04-20-2003, 03:31 PM
The PIPE

Default There IS that FMA "RFD1FM" deck that figures into THIS particular equation...

Dear IFlyJ3:

The PIPE Here again...and that's a VERY GOOD question!

My MicroStar radios will be primarily designed to fly on Ham frequencies, and the 72 MHz deck presence in there is to "partially" get around the, as I term it, the "Ain't I a Stinker" rule that the FCC placed on Ham RC frequency "buddy box" operations NOT being allowed under the "Primary Control Operator" provision of the FCC Part 97 Ham rules-which is A STUPID ruling if I ever saw one! The PCO provision for non-Hams to oeprate a Ham station that is under the control of the Ham that IS licensed to operate that station can be seen at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/ , and the most applicable rule to allow a non-Ham to use a Ham station under a control operator's "control" of the station in question is rule 97.115 at that page. The "Ain't I a Stinker" rule is NOT in the main Part 97 rules in any way, shape OR form, but IS a ruling that was determined by the FCC some TWENTY years ago...it REQUIRES that two RCers doing the "buddy box" thing BOTH have to be licensed Hams, UNLIKE ANY other form of amateur radio "third party" communications! That rule seems SO stupid that I feel, that if a determined legal challenge was waged against it, that that exclusionary ruling would FAIL the legal test and be swept aside as an illogical ruling "from the past", as it SHOULD be!

I just want to be able to occasionally allow myself to introduce fellow non-Ham RCers to the concept of single stick flying through using my MicroStars on 72 MHz INSTEAD to get around that legal IDIOCY that the FCC "threw up" in front of Ham RCers to prevent them from doing buddy box instruction of non-Hams on the six meter Ham band, which rule 97.115 SHOULD permit in most people's view.

Also, there is the fact that the Ace RC RF decks have the EXACT same circuit design as the newer FMA "RFD1FM" RF decks that Fred Marks sells for retrofit purposes WITH Ace RC transmitters! These FMA RF decks can be seen at https://www.fmadirect.com/site/Detai...465&section=10 , and ARE available on the 50 and 53 bands as well as for 72 MHz aircraft and 75 MHz ground frequencies. These decks are stated by Fred Marks as being compliant with the FCC Part 95 rules on emissions, etc...and are most likely fully LEGAL to use anywhere. at the VERY least, in any situation the Ace FM RF decks have been used in their radios.

In addition to this fact, at Gordon's main MicroStar website at http://mstar2k.com/ , please read the GREEN TEXT there dated August 4, 2001...you will find that it reads:

"August 4, 2001:

I [Gordon Anderson] have entered a exclusive license agreement with Fred Marks of FMA. FMA will be manufacturing the MicroStar system and hopes to have a full system available this fall. I'm very excited about this development and I will be working with FMA to get the system to market as soon as possible. FMA has a wealth of experience in electronics design and manufacturing, this collaboration will legitimatize the MicroStar and create a US presence in the RC market. I will be working with FMA on the development of the receiver as well as other RC electronics."

Now, I KNOW that date is almost two years ago...knowing Fred Marks as well as I do, he ALWAYS has been the SLOW and careful type, and will NOT "rush anything out to market" before HE feels that it's really ready! But, with THIS linkage, it's NOT too hard to imagine that the FMA RFD1FM deck is VERY LIKELY to be used with Gordon's MicroStar encoder in any future production FMA computer radios...and where the RFD1FM deck is already FCC compliant ON ITS OWN, its legality with the MicroStar encoder-and ESPECIALLY with that one encoder assembly, and no one else's that's currently in production, mostly due to that linkage-should have very few if any questions (at least in my view, and by my educated guess, very likely Fred Marks's as well) regarding its legality.

I would NOT use ANYONE else's 72 MHz FM RF deck but an Ace RC unit OR its FMA RFD1FM exact equivalent version with my MicroStar single stick radios ...it's just the ONLY one on the market that seems to have this "independent" status of FCC Part 95 compliance, and I'm NOT going to "push the envelope" of Part 95 legality any further than that.

If I had to at AMA sanctioned contests, I would be PERFECTLY willing to JUST stick to using the 50 MHz Ham band to fly my planes at meets, with my homemade MicroStar "knobby" radios, to satisfy any CD's request to not use the 72 MHz band with my transmitters if asked to at a meet...at least until FMA's MicroStar encodered radios come out on the market WITH THE RFD1FM DECK in them on 72 MHz...then I'd have a VERY powerful case existing to request that my MicroStars be permitted to be used at any contest on the 72 MHz band as well as on 50 MHz!

This case IS a VERY particular one, of using any radio with a MicroStar encoder with ONLY the Ace RC FM RF deck OR the FMA equivalent on the 72 MHz band ...and I would NEVER recommend anyone try building a homebuilt RC transmitter and actually using it on 72 MHz unless it DID have a MicroStar encoder, and an Ace RC FM deck or the FMA RFD1FM deck in there!

Now, for my Ham flyin'-at least all the Part 95 compliance "felgercarb" happily goes out the window, but I'd still STICK to ONLY using the encoder/RF deck combo I've stated that my MicroStar will be using-and NO other-for 72 MHz usage, when it's needed.

Don't forget-if you check the Part 95 rules at http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-...2000&TYPE=TEXT , check the rule numbered 95.209(c)...it STILL states that your RC transmitter CAN be built from a KIT......and Marv Jensen, at http://www.jensenjetmodels.com/id30.htm , sells MicroStar transmitter encoder kits himself...and I'd bet HE's using the FMA RFD1FM decks for those on 72 MHz already, as he's the person that will be creating the built-up "ready-to-use" single stick versions of the FMA computer radios.

A LOT of what I'm doing for 72 MHz usage of my MicroStar is done because of these VERY particular situations between Gordon Anderson, the old Ace RC, FMA, Marv Jensen, and the connections between all of these corporate entities past and present...I, and any one else wanting a homebuilt 72 MHz single stick radio, is just lucky they HAVE existed and CONTINUE to exist so that the legality of a homebuilt 72 MHz radio, done JUST the way I'm doing it, is most likely the least troublesome (as far as legality with the FCC goes) way to go about doing just what I'm doing.

Of course, it is STILL necessary to get the homebuilt transmitter "gold sticker" checked before EVER using it, to insure its legal status as a narrowband unit...no one should EVER use a homebuilt RC radio without getting THAT done first...and I'm going to have DuMond RC Service in Texas do just that with each and EVERY MicroStar I build and use for my own needs!

WOW-that was a LONG one-but I felt it necessary to describe ALL the facts behind just how I'm doing EXACTLY what I'm doing, and to be honest and truthful about my reasons about doing it as well.

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:45 PM
The PIPE

Default RE: Progress Report for "DIS"-gust 2003...!

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE here yet AGAIN...and so far, I've got only ONE flight with my Swizzle Stick all season, back early in June, amongst all the RAINY days New England was PLAGUED with last Spring...and now, that I'm in my annual "summer hibernation" period, until the month of DIS-gust comes close to its conclusion...when the despised MUGGIES leave New England for the season, and the DELIGHTFUL autumnal weather returns to New England from Canada, I'd thought I'd update my fellow KNOBBY radio fans on how my new MicroStar single stick radio is coming along!

Well, since Joe DuMond was NOT too healthy this summer himself (he had to check in for some serious procedures at the hospital earlier this summer) I had him return my MicroStar to me, and I sent it down to Tony Stillman at Radio South instead for the "gold stickering" of my radio with its Ace RC 72 MHz FM RF deck-which went JUST FINE-and he also match-tuned the pair of Ch.47 crystalled Hitec "shift-selectable" receivers I sent along with it, to it for use with my new knobby radio.

This first of what could be FIVE MicroStar knobbies for my own usage has a setup for DUAL RF decks in it...one on 50 MHz for Ham band flying, and one on 72 MHz...and when I found out that the Ace RC FM deck I had in there would NOT work with the Ch.03 FMA crystals I HAD wished to use with it [they were "the wrong 'cut' of crystal"], and also with the pair of Ace ProStar FM recievers I had also sent down to Radio South (along with the RF deck) I just figured I HAD to "bite the bullet" and get the entire "Ham side" of my MicroStar ordered up from FMA, and an order for one of the RFD1FM50 transmit decks, and a pair of 508FM50ACE Quantum-8 receivers, got send out right at the beginning of DIS-gust (just a week ago) and I sent all three (one Tx, and two Rx) FMA Ch.03 crystals I'd already purchased down with the order to supply them WITH their own crystals, so I wouldn't have to order up another complete set of them with my new gear. ALL of my future MicroStar knobby radios will have that dual RF deck setup in them, with the second MicroStar radio (which I NOW have the assembled-and-tested encoder for, courtesy of Gordon himself) using the Ace Ch.40 FM deck out of my 1980s vintage Silver Seven knobby radio, and using another FMA RF deck for that radio's "Ham side", with THAT one to be on Ch.07, with my "currently-in-use" Hitec "shifty" Rx being used with the Ace deck on Ch.40...I'll purchase another Hitec "shifty" Rx from my LHS late this fall, and another pair of Quantum-8 Rx-es will also be purchased from FMA when I order the Ch.07 RF deck from them.

So, as I write this, the MicroStar "knobby-1" radio IS just about READY TO USE on Ch.47, and is waiting for BOTH cooler weather, AND its "Ham side" components, to be all in place to start checking it out IN THE AIR with my dear ol'Swizzler [Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40] to see how well everything will work out. Since it MAY be likely that FMA could have to build up the 50 MHz negative FM shift Quantum-8 Rx-es from parts to fill my order, it COULD be a while before my new radio's "Ham side" components come to me in the mail...something like the END of this DIS-gust-ingly STEAMY month up here...but as the old saying goes, "good things come to those who wait [a bit]"...so it COULD be very likely I'll have that MicroStar flying the Swizzler this autumn! Also, later this fall I'll be starting a Four Star 60 based "kitbashed cropduster" project that I've mentioned here at RCU, at http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...13&forumid=107 which will ALSO be flown with that first MicroStar...with OS FS-90 REAR camshaft four stroke power in ITS nose!

I'll be showing off the MicroStar at the OLD RHINEBECK AERODROME's big annual RC event in about a month from now, in case anyone there wonders "why I haven't got a plane to fly there THIS year", and wonders just WHAT I've been working on instead...I'm LEAVING the "frequency pack" dual RF deck'n'switch setup for the MicroStar at HOME that weekend while it's out with me at Rhinebeck, so I'll be able to FIRE IT UP-SAFELY, WITHOUT RADIATING any RF signal-while I'm out there, and show some "interested" parties what a MicroStar based computer RC radio IS all about!

It's taken a LONG time (nearly THREE YEARS) for me to have a computer based single stick radio of my VERY OWN to use for my RC flyin' fun...but that wait is VERY NEARLY over...and when the leaves on the trees here in New England are "pleasantly turning all those bright colors", if everything works out as well, as I've longed hoped they would, I'll be flying with a MicroStar radio at LONG LAST...that day canNOT come soon enough for me!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! )
Old 09-11-2003, 04:50 PM
The PIPE

Default RE: IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED...Sep.10, 2003...

Dear JSKrebs, Turbines, and Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...with the long awaited news... because on September 10, 2003, at the Wingbusters ( http://www.wingbusters.org/ ) field in Halifax, MA, I finally flew my veteran Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40...NOT with my equally "grizzled" Ace Silver Seven knobby single stick radio...

...but with the MICROSTAR radio instead...

...and EVERYTHING worked out JUST FINE!!! !!!

I am SO glad all that work...some THREE YEARS in the making...HAS resulted in my VERY FIRST computer SINGLE STICK transmitter actually FLYING a PLANE after all this time!

Just a SLIGHT adjustment on the "Throttle Preset" button will be needed before I can go flying with it and the "Swizzler" once more, to RAISE the preset throttle position a slight bit so I can reliably "rumble in" the Swizzler in true World War I rotary engine fashion by intermittently pressing the preset button...but OTHERwise, my first half-hour of MICROSTAR flight has been completed now...and I can NOT thank Gordon Anderson enough for such a GREAT encoder assembly!

Now I've got a SECOND MicroStar assembly all ready to use, recieved in the mail from Gordon earlier this summer...canNOT wait to get THAT next MicroStar knobby radio built up, over the Winter of '03-'04, as THAT one is going to have that "Mini-Chidgey" three axis all metal joystick in it from Rae Fritz and Marv Jensen (the $215 one) RIGHT FROM THE START, with all THREE axes rotating on BALL BEARINGS...THAT's gonna be a REALLY SMOOTH flying "knobby box" for certain!

NO flying THIS weekend in New England, though...RAIN in the forecast...but where my MicroStar is starting to fly my Swizzler, I'll be getting "air time" on the first MicroStar single stick radio all through this autumn and into the Winter...whenever I can get out to my club's field!

It's just SUCH a GOOD feeling to have a BRAND NEW radio to fly with, after such a LONG time with "just" the Silver Sevens to fly with...can't wait for some MORE dry, COOL and LOW WIND afternoons on the weeknights (before Daylight Savings Time ends in late October) for some more MICROSTAR stick time !!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 09-11-2003, 05:38 PM
GoldenAge

Default RE: IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED...Sep.10, 2003...

I am SO glad all that work...some THREE YEARS in the making...HAS resulted in my VERY FIRST computer SINGLE STICK transmitter actually FLYING a PLANE after all this time!
Hello Pipe,

Congratulations on the new single stick radio Man, you should write a book about this! I've always preferred single stick control. Just feels more natural to me.

Why don't the big manufacturers make these radios anymore[&:][:@][>:][&o]

Enjoyed reading your posts,

Scott
Old 11-11-2003, 01:28 AM
nairb5

Default RE: Heathkit "Walkie Talkie" 4ch TX

any one got a heathkit gd 19 or the older g.d.47 txs or just 2 backs as i want to make the "heathkit" s/stick conversion as seen in the old rcm mag in the 60,s. i have the kraft triple axis stick assy already.as i said in my earlier reply i still fly 'millcott specialist 8 radios, they have all the bells & whistles of the period, thanks again, brian of westralia [mercer model musium]yeah collect the oldies, guess what? preference"single stick". regards brian.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:06 AM
Mr Boulevard-delete

Hi there, as a beginner into this field (radio control), I have a few questions on these single stick tx's.
I have been using single stick (joystick) controllers on my computer for about 5 - 6 years now, and was wondering why there are no such controllers for a/c aircraft.

I wanted to know, if you use a joystick for your computer (such as a flight simulator, r/c or not) or do you use the standard tx to computer conversion device?

Is there any big differences between the standard type and the single stick type? I know everyone will have a preference.

One thing I noticed about the single stick transmitters above is where is the Throttle lever???

I must go and look online for these types of systems.
Thank you for your opinion.
I must admit I found this posting though the search and I am surprised it's in the Vintage and Antique section...

And why arn't these units popular?
Mr Boulevard
Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 AM
Mr Boulevard-delete

DOH!
I just realised that the single stick has only 3 channels (atleast that's how I explain the pictures of the units above).
To be honest I'm not sure were to put/ask my question. Any ideas?

Although I don't know anything to with this, I would suggest checking out computer Joysticks to use as pots just becuase they are cheap.

Thanks, again
Mr Boulevard
Old 11-19-2003, 09:20 AM
GoldenAge

Mr. Boulevard,

When I started flying RC back in the late 70's, a few guys had these single stick radios. I always wanted one because I thought the setup was more 'natural' (at least to me anyway) than dual stick control.

I remember the Kraft co. had a nice single stick radio, but I couldn't afford it at the time. Now they don't make them anymore and I can easily afford one[:@] Throttle control was on the left next to the stick and looked like a trim lever. Move the gimbal to the right/left was your aileron control and of course up/down was elevator. Turn the knob clockwise/counterclocwise controlled your rudder.

I flew Rudder/Elevator/Throttle most of the time back in those days with my little cheap 3 channel radio, but I always wanted one of those Kraft single stick jobs

Scott

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.