Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 06:25 AM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Building your OWN single stick radios...!

Dan,
You obviously know your radios as I gave an old WE SS Tx. to a friend of mine and he used the stick assembly to change his Hitec two stick to single stick operation, including changing the throttle control to the conventional position on the right end side locaton. He says it works great! Looks like a viable conversion for those who desire a computer
SS Tx. but can't find a good Ace Micropro 8000.

I fly a Micropro SS Tx. and think one of the dumbest arrangements is the throttle trim above and parrallel to the throttle, itself.
Flying electric, I have confused myself by jumping on the trim lever by mistake thinking it was the full throttle!!! Just old age catching up!!!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:37 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: flicka5

Dan,
You obviously know your radios as I gave an old WE SS Tx. to a friend of mine and he used the stick assembly to change his Hitec two stick to single stick operation, including changing the throttle control to the conventional position on the right end side locaton. He says it works great! Looks like a viable conversion for those who desire a computer
SS Tx. but can't find a good Ace Micropro 8000.

I fly a Micropro SS Tx. and think one of the dumbest arrangements is the throttle trim above and parrallel to the throttle, itself.
Flying electric, I have confused myself by jumping on the trim lever by mistake thinking it was the full throttle!!! Just old age catching up!!!
There is an ACE MicroPro 8000 single stick on the e auction site right now at $360.

I agree on your opinion of the throttle trim position for the MP8K single stick. I fly both the single stick and dual stick.

When ever I get around to the next firmware upgrade to the MP8K I am thinking of allowing control assignments so you can logically move the position of the controls. As you know the MP8K alows the trim controls to be moved by simply moving the plug inside the xmitter, but that is a physical change and you are limited to the trims only.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
flicka5

ORIGINAL: iflyj3

When ever I get around to the next firmware upgrade to the MP8K I am thinking of allowing control assignments so you can logically move the position of the controls. As you know the MP8K alows the trim controls to be moved by simply moving the plug inside the xmitter, but that is a physical change and you are limited to the trims only.
Dan,
Thanks for that tip of changing the plug location inside the MP8K as I hadn't given that a thought to remedy the factory trim control position. I'll look at that situation and perhaps change the position to another more user friendly location.

I hope other SS fliers out there shrug off the "friendly abuse" I have experienced from other much younger fRC fliers who don't seem to comprehend the merits of SS transmitters. As I respond : Too bad you can't find one and/or afford one"!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:32 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: flicka5

Dan,
Thanks for that tip of changing the plug location inside the MP8K as I hadn't given that a thought to remedy the factory trim control position. I'll look at that situation and perhaps change the position to another more user friendly location.

I hope other SS fliers out there shrug off the "friendly abuse" I have experienced from other much younger fRC fliers who don't seem to comprehend the merits of SS transmitters. As I respond : Too bad you can't find one and/or afford one"!
I had one in for service where the owner had physically swapped the throttle trim with channel 7. That really made sense.

If you move the trim plugs or change the position physically, don't forget to do the "SETJOYSTICK" routine.
Old 12-22-2007, 01:47 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

OLD SCHEMATICS! I have a lot of schematics for Orbits, EK etc, available to those that need them. Cost is nothing if a couple of scanned pages are involved, Kinko and USPS fees in material is lengthy. Tell me what you need:
[email protected].
Old 05-22-2008, 09:01 AM
skyking731

If anyone is interested, i have a century 7 (pre jr ) single stick airplane tx with module and charger. not mint but in great shape 250.00 e-mail me at [email protected] or see add on RCU. thanks
Old 12-31-2009, 03:23 PM
bizwebpage
My Feedback: (1)

Just for some info.....

Rae Fritz showed me a test gimbal he got from Marv Jensen. It looked like it was made with a horseshoe file. Rae rejected it and does NOT sell anything that Jensen makes.
However, you're right about Gordon Anderson's MS2K

Here's some URL's for more info on single stick...

http://www.bizwebpage.com/SingleStick/ss.html
http://singlestickradio.blogspot.com/
http://www.freewarebiz.com/freeware/GIMBAL
Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 AM
H5487

ORIGINAL: bizwebpage

Just for some info.....

Rae Fritz showed me a test gimbal he got from Marv Jensen. It looked like it was made with a horseshoe file. Rae rejected it and does NOT sell anything that Jensen makes.
However, you're right about Gordon Anderson's MS2K

Here's some URL's for more info on single stick...

http://www.bizwebpage.com/SingleStick/ss.html
http://singlestickradio.blogspot.com/
http://www.freewarebiz.com/freeware/GIMBAL
Okay, I'm convinced! How does one go about building a single-stick transmitter? I would like get a case and a quality gimbal unit and install a simple (non-computerized) 4ch Futaba circuit board to start. Later, I might venture into installing a more-exotic encoder and RF section but for the time being, I'd like to keep the project simple. I'm an avionics tech (but not a Ham) so I do know my way around a soldering station.

Thanks,

Harvey
Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 AM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: H5487

Okay, I'm convinced! How does one go about building a single-stick transmitter? I would like get a case and a quality gimbal unit and install a simple (non-computerized) 4ch Futaba circuit board to start. Later, I might venture into installing a more-exotic encoder and RF section but for the time being, I'd like to keep the project simple. I'm an avionics tech (but not a Ham) so I do know my way around a soldering station.

Thanks,

Harvey
Harvey,

Save yourself time and headaches. Get the MicroStar encoder board and a 2.4 GHz deck and go from there. You won't be sorry. Join the MP8K/MS2K group at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/mp8k for support.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:14 AM
H5487

Harvey,

Save yourself time and headaches. Get the MicroStar encoder board and a 2.4 GHz deck and go from there. You won't be sorry. Join the MP8K/MS2K group at www.groups.yahoo.com/group/mp8k for support.
But that's much deeper than I realy want to go (at least at this point.) I'm a simple Sunday flier and have no need for such exotic features that the MicroStar provides. All I want is a simple 4ch radio with a vintage appearance that will go with my 86" Quaker.

Harvey
Old 03-02-2010, 07:23 AM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: H5487

But that's much deeper than I realy want to go (at least at this point.) I'm a simple Sunday flier and have no need for such exotic features that the MicroStar provides. All I want is a simple 4ch radio with a vintage appearance that will go with my 86'' Quaker.

Harvey
I understand. Before you make the final decision, visit Kees over in Austin. He puts the MS2K kits together at cost. If you are interested send me and email and I will send his email. If not ignore this treatise and I won't bug you anymore.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
H5487

I'm maintaining an open mind. (Something my wife says I don't have!)

E-mail sent.

Harvey
Old 04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
jazzboy

An option in 2-3 weeks.

http://andysrecroomrc.blogspot.com/

Cheers,
Andy

Old 04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
H5487

Andy,

That's a nice looking rig!

Harvey
Old 04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
jazzboy

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the feedback.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:26 AM
Max1965

Default RE: Just a "quick" one to Jim-I Emailed George to advise him!

I am looking for a Proline Comp six tx box..........if the gimbal is included this would be a plus.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:37 PM
FSFLYER
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: Just a

I just modified a single stick competition six over to FrSky 2.4gHz. works great. About to go the rest of the way and modify it over to the MicroStar computer encoder. Let me know if you're interested before I send away for parts

[email protected]
Old 08-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Max1965

I found a Proline tx box so I am not looking any longer.

Also if you need a tx box built go here:
http://customaluminumboxes.com/

If you need a single-stick gimbal go here:
http://andysrecroomrc.blogspot.com/
Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM
deadstick8409

Just finished my microstar2000 with Andy's (jazzboy) Joystick.
I really like it.