Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Veco Sioux

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 05:56 PM
radioflier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veco Sioux

Can anyone tell me the wingspan of the old Veco Sioux free flight plane from the '50's?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 05-29-2002, 08:04 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Veco Sioux

Thirty six inches.

George
Old 05-31-2002, 10:39 AM
radioflier

Default Veco Sioux

Thanks George. Attached is a pix of a soon-to-be electric powered R/C version of the Sioux. Wingspan in this one is about 64".

Ron
Old 06-01-2002, 09:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Veco Sioux

Ron,

Looks great! You might consider sending the picture to Randy Randolph at FM for his "Small Talk" column and/or to Joe Wagner (designer of the Sioux). Both together formed the SMALL (Small Aircraft Lovers League) group.

George
Old 06-30-2002, 09:56 AM
radioflier

Default Veco Sioux

Yes it is - to get the weight down for electric flight I redesigned the fuselage from the outline in. Doc Mathews' plans call for a lite ply fuse - as you can see I did the whole thing in 1/4 balsa. I had some glueing problems with the framework due to the tension on the uprights from the swayback of the upper and lower longerons.

From the wing forward is inset 1/8 balsa around the framework.

I also changed the nose to hide the electric motor and it looks a little different from the orginal. There is a hatch on the bottom behind the landing gear to get to the battery.

I also put a flat section in the middle of the wing simple because I prefer the looks of it. That stretched the wingspan to about 64".

I've completed the covering and am in the process of final assembly. Hopefully first flight sometime this week. I post pix of it when its done.

Ron