Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Planes That Deserve A Comeback.....

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Planes That Deserve A Comeback.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Planes That Deserve A Comeback.....

Don't forget the Flea Fli + 10
I had a Veco 19 on mine and it was a real screamer !
S Gibson
Old 07-01-2007, 04:16 PM
susquach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put this in the sub-catagory of planes that I didn't do before they dissappeared: The Sig Morrisy Bravo. Maybe some day there'll be a .60 size version.
Old 07-04-2007, 06:08 AM
puplover

Another H-Ray lover!! We had club pylon races with the H-Ray,what a blast ! Did you know that that plane would high-speed stall.... 30mph!!!, if the turn was too tight around the pylon? One race I stalled into the ground and the guy behind me landed right on top of my plane...you had to be there. Have a H-Ray kit in the dungeon just waiting to be opened up, built, covered with silk,doped,and the old Enya .19 put up front. It's been waiting 25 years, poor thing.

Liked the Trainermaster a lot,too. They were all good!!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:44 AM
Jburry

I've never high-speed stalled my S-ray... It'll pull loops tight enough to leave prop marks on the tail, though... About 1.5 wingspan diameter.

J
Old 07-06-2007, 09:13 PM
puplover

Say jberry; Try it with the wings vertical, not horizontal, like your'e going around a pylon, not a limbo pole.....be careful!! Let us know how it went. Love them Rays,huh!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:51 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Global Baby Birdie. My second RC plane.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:03 AM
raido56
My Feedback: (10)

For easy slow speed flying I like the Coverite Sort-A-Scale Fokker. Easy flying slow speed plane even a newbee could fly one of these. I still have mine with a OS 52 F/S on it and it was the plane I used for my first night fly. Now for high speed flying I like the Top Flight Hot Kanary bipe. I have one now and one still in the box. I had a 46 on it and it had real good power with that motor. But after a few years of sitting around it was time to get it back in the air. So I have re-powered it with 52 motor for a little more power. Great flying plane for sure.
Keep em flying
raido56/Herb
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78741.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	69.7 KB
ID:	774899   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24221.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	774900  
Old 10-03-2007, 02:11 PM
cashrc
My Feedback: (2)

Dave Robelen's Playnate. Had one in Germany when I was stationed there with an HP .21VT on it..lost it in a midair between me and a buddy's scratch built .25 size SE5A, lost elevator and augered in..sweet little 3 channel ship.

Lessee, other birds I like-my first trainer, a Piece O' Cake...Davey Systems Caliph, neat little bird with an OS 15. ANY pilot kit, GP Ultrasport, Robbe Parat.

Oh yeah...my Airtronics Q-Tee that I built at Luke AFB during training...buddy of mine and I took it out in the desert to fly, didn't realise we were right under the spot that the F-15 Strike Eagles turned final....
Old 10-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Mad Man Marko-RCU

I think that Dave Robelen's Playmate and Pronto were really cool three channel birds. Still have the remains of the Playmate stuck up in the rafters and found a Pronto NIB and its on a shelf in the shop. Dave was a master designer and when he got into the micro stuff his wizardry continued. R.I.P. Dave

Peace

Mark O
Old 10-05-2007, 09:26 AM
jaymen

The first Piper Cub I flew back in 1962 was red w/ a white stripe.......cub yellow was famouse, but in reality alot were red too.

Bring back the original Ugly Stick, and Owen Kampen's Dick's Dream, great rudder only ship, builds fast too!
Old 11-04-2007, 12:59 AM
Whirlyspud

Andrew H-ray was my first rc plane. Must have been in 77 or 78 or so.

Mike
Old 11-04-2007, 07:11 AM
puplover

H-ray was a lot of guys favorite. Funny, when we get older we get the yearning for the first car we owned and I guess it's the same with our models!! Hey, lots of negatives on the Sterling kits, and I'll admit I built most of them,but back then there weren't a lot of choices and what did we know anyway?? That said, the first r/c plane I built and flew (and crashed...self-taught) was the Mambo Special. The very best Sterling kit I built was the P-63 King Cobra! Actually an easy build and it flew great. I would be happy to swap my Sterling D-VII kit for a P-63 kit !! On the brink of retirement and all stocked up for a few years of scratch building. My list: Feather Merchant 72, Top Dawg, El Gringo, El Gringito, a Gypsy Moth electric, a 1/6 scale Camel, 1/6 Fokker D-VI (6) and my first Sopwith Pup by Cal Smith. Am presently building a 1/8 scale elec. Pup. So, what else is going on?? Not too many people watching this thread. Let"s get going!! John
Old 11-30-2007, 07:34 PM
R/C Lee
My Feedback: (3)

Last winter I built a Jr Falcon from plans that I got through the AMA plans service. Way back when, I flew my original Jr Falcon rudder only with an .049 for power. I got to where I could ROG, fly around until the engine ran out of fuel, then land on the runway. For this modern one, I put in a four channel outfit with small servos and an LA .15 for power. It is really fun to fly, very fast under full throttle, very aerobatic, and everyone at the field who has some history with RC really enjoys it. Give it a try - it's an easy build from plans; just make the necessary width changes to accomodate a larger fuel tank. I fly off of a grass field, so I just put in a little up trim and hand launch it, then take out the up trim as it climbs out. For all of you who would like to build the earlier models, most of them are still available in plans, and aren't difficult to build.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:50 PM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

ORIGINAL: R/C Lee

Last winter I built a Jr Falcon from plans that I got through the AMA plans service. Way back when, I flew my original Jr Falcon rudder only with an .049 for power. I got to where I could ROG, fly around until the engine ran out of fuel, then land on the runway. For this modern one, I put in a four channel outfit with small servos and an LA .15 for power. It is really fun to fly, very fast under full throttle, very aerobatic, and everyone at the field who has some history with RC really enjoys it. Give it a try - it's an easy build from plans; just make the necessary width changes to accomodate a larger fuel tank. I fly off of a grass field, so I just put in a little up trim and hand launch it, then take out the up trim as it climbs out. For all of you who would like to build the earlier models, most of them are still available in plans, and aren't difficult to build.

----------------

I bought a Jr. Falcon kit off eBay a short while back. Yes, lots of us want replicas of our first R/C planes, cars, etc. Me too.

I had a Jr. Falcon around 69-70 or so, but had a radio problem and never did get to fly it (Testors pulse proportional system from their Skyhawk). I can't remember what happened to it these days.

Always was sorry I didn't get to fly my first one, so I paid too much for this one. Hope I get to fly this one. It was a pleasant build.

My original Jr. Falcon was finished in tissue and dope and powered with a Cox Babe Bee .049, IIRC.

Ed, NM2K
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
Chad H

Sig Skybolt man, bar none. Pitch the hokey plastic turtle deck, shave a bit of weight off the airframe here and there, install a hot 60 2 stroke or 90 4 stroke and you got yourself one sweet look`n and sky burn`n airplane dude. My brother built one in 77 or 78, finished with Sig dopes and silk, and I STILL fly it. Nothing can beat the look of it in the air, and it still gives my nerves the juice when I open the throttle. Flies like a pattern bird but drop the sticks into the corners and you have a snap that happens like a explosion, yet it will cruise right in for a sweet landing with no funny stuff at slower speeds. In the early 80`s he would bring it out to the Hamilton Flying Tigers field resulting in several of them being built. Build one sometime, you won`t be sorry. Chad.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:17 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

JFYI: A friend of mine, Don Bennet of Rainbow's End, NJ, built the full size Skybolt. Beautiful workmanship. Did you know that the top wing is held on by a single 9/16" bolt?

I have heard of a few folks that built and flew the Sig Skybolt and were very happy with it. I'll have to look around for a kit.

Ed Cregger
Old 04-23-2021, 07:21 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Planes that Should Make a Comeback

1) Debolt/Livewire Cruiser. My dad flew one of these. He said the plane would "float." Perfect as a trainer.
2) Dale Root's Ascender II. A step up from a high wing trainer it is forgiving while being aerobatic.