Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Full Size Dallaire ... C/G?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Full Size Dallaire ... C/G?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Frank M Klenk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Full Size Dallaire ... C/G?

Hi Guys
I have a full size Dallaire and I'm not quite sure of the c/g point. How far back from the leading edge is it? I'm guessing about 33%. Any help appreciated before I maiden it. Thanks!

Frank
Old 07-17-2005, 03:35 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: Full Size Dallaire ... C/G?

25% to 33% is a good rule of thumb as to mean chord. However, it's one thing to speculate on balance moments for model planes, quite another for one you are going to climb into. Surely, there are better sources for the specific info you need than RCU? Best of luck with your Dallaire.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:21 AM
RAYTELI
My Feedback: (113)

On my plans from Campbell's Custom kits Dallaire Sportster (108 in span) the C.G. is located 5.25 inches from the leading edge. Good luck with the maiden flight. Ray
Old 07-18-2005, 10:56 AM
RCVFR

Frank, I have to ask. Please define "full size Dallaire"?
Old 07-18-2005, 08:44 PM
Frank M Klenk

Thanks for the info Ray, appreciated. According to my calculations at 30% I am a bit nose heavy. I'll have to play with the balance to get it right. I am flying this in Texaco at our Canadian Nats.

Jim, full size Dallaire is 108". I don't know a lot about old timer planes, but I have only heard the 108" Dallaire referred to as full size, there also is a 1/2A size too. The Dallaire was made by Frank Dallaire of Dallaire Models in the early 40's. I'm sorry if I scared you, thinking I was going to climb in and fly it.

Frank
Old 07-19-2005, 12:49 PM
RCVFR

Thanks. I can blow out the candle, now.
Old 07-20-2005, 05:15 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Frank, old timers have large enough stabilizers and long enough tails that they can easily get away with much further back CG's than is "normal". So don't be afraid of 35 or even 40% back.

Your best performance will come with the CG back just a few % in front of the neutral point. Look up the "dive test" as it relates to RC sailplanes and use the same procedure to sneak back the CG to where you get the best performance without sacrificing stability.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:47 PM
Frank M Klenk

I rebalanced my plane at 5.25 behind the leading edge, I had to take out some nose weight (a good thing). The plane flew real nice. Take off was smooth. It climbed out and up to a spec. It got pretty high so I shut the engine off. The glide is nice and slow, and it sinks so slow. My flying field is surrounded by 10 foot corn, so I overshot the field and had a gentle landing in the corn. Good to go again. Thanks for the help guys!