Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Looking for info on the Blue Max II

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Looking for info on the Blue Max II

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 06:31 PM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for info on the Blue Max II

I know this isn't a "Vintage" airplane but I thought this section would get me the best feedback.
I have a cut up set of plans for the Blue Max II kit from "Off The Ground Models" dated 5/1/86 and designed by Jim Allen Jr..
I am looking at scratch building the airplane and was looking for someone who has built the plane or has the original instructions. The plans do not indicate if the wing center section is glassed, and I was wondering if the instructions included this step. The original instructions would also just make the build a little easier.
This airplane is a "Stik" looking airplane with a swept wing and should make the ARF majority stop and scratch their heads!
Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Looking for info on the Blue Max II

From the AMA web site:

Issue: February, 1985 (AMA8502)
Title: Blue Max II Pages(10)
Author: J. Allen, Jr.
Summary:

IF YOU'RE LOOKING for the right airplane to compete in the fun-fly events around your area, the Blue Max II is it. This plane is very maneuverable at high and low speeds, and it is also stable at the same time. It goes exactly where you point it, nowhere else. The Blue Max was designed two years ago when I decided to replace my K&B .40-powered Little Stik with a plane that would be more precise on the controls, especially at slow speeds. This new plane also had to have enough drag to make it slow down quickly when the throttle was pulled back, enabling it to land quickly. It had to be light-weight with enough power to be able to go straight up indefinitely from takeoff.

Plans are still available from Model Aviation. I'd be glad to photocopy the article and send it along if you need it.
Kelvin
Old 08-14-2005, 12:41 AM
CCRC1

Thanks Kelvin, I didn't realize it had been published as a building project. I got the cut up plans from a fellow club member who was cleaning out his shop. I will try and find the 2/85 issue of Model Avaition from one of my local club members first. If I can't, I will get back to you to try to get a copy from you.
Thanks for the help my friend!
Old 08-14-2005, 07:21 AM
CCRC1

Went to the Model Aviation web site under their digital archives and found the 2/85 issue. The problem is you can't save the pages. If you use their print button, you loose 25% of the images and text. [:@]That stinks, I wanted to print out the pages so I could use the article in the shop. I will keep looking for an actual issue of the magazine.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:21 AM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

Went to the Model Aviation web site under their digital archives and found the 2/85 issue. The problem is you can't save the pages. If you use their print button, you loose 25% of the images and text. [:@]That stinks, I wanted to print out the pages so I could use the article in the shop. I will keep looking for an actual issue of the magazine.
I know. That's a drag. The next version of Windows is supposed to have a sizing tool that solves that problem, but that ain't much help now, is it? That's why I offered to copy it for you. Funny, I sometimes pull out an old magazine to read while in the mediatation room, and that is one I happened to look at a couple of weeks ago. That design has been on my "If I run out of anything else to do list" list for a long time.
K
Old 08-22-2005, 12:57 AM
CCRC1

kdheath,
Just wanted to let you know that I found a copy of Model Avaition (2/85) from one of my club members. Thanks again for your kind offer.......
I will start cutting out parts this week.
Thanks again
CCRC1
Old 08-22-2005, 01:53 PM
kdheath

ORIGINAL: CCRC1

kdheath,
Just wanted to let you know that I found a copy of Model Avaition (2/85) from one of my club members. Thanks again for your kind offer.......
I will start cutting out parts this week.
Thanks again
CCRC1
You're most welcome! Post a picture or two as you come along. I still think it is an interesting looking ride.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CC,

I couldn't resist telling you of my first and only flight of a Blue Max. The plane was kitted (don't know by whom) and one of our club members built one. The airplane was covered in an all dark blue fuse and white/blue wing stab. The guy did a beautiful job building it and I checked it throughly before flight. I was asked to do the initial test flight and so, after a range check it was throttle up and GO... this plane really moved out and trimmed out very quickly with only minimal trim movements. I was telling the proud owner just how well it was flying. He asked me to "wring it out".. but I declined saying I would save that till the second flight and we had checked everything for security. I did a simple turn around at the end of the field and did a straight and level fly by at about 50 feet and full throttle. Once again, plane was doing great... when.. (here it comes) all of a Sudden the WING COMES OFF !!!! Yes friends.. OFF... now.. I'm sorry but a Blue Max fuse is NOT a lifting body and I had a full throttle arrow!!! I did have a chance to throttle back BEFORE the arrow hit the field almost vertically..... after which, of course.. everybody is watching the wing come nicely floating down......... Silence decends upon the field as everybody (including me) wants to know what happened. It was a bolt on wing so this was not "rubber band error)......Getting to the the fuse "crash site" it became VERY obvious what had happened. The builder had the plywood wing hold down blocks in so tight.. that they didn't pull out or even move when checked on the ground...... and... in checking the wing... there they were... holding the hold down bolts nicely in place. I checked, and there was NO evidence of ANY glue ever being applied..The owner then said..." Yeah.. I knew those fit tight.. but I thought I had gone back and GLUED THEM !!!!! " At any rate.. fuselage was trashed.. and 3 weeks later.. the SAME WING appeared w/a new fuse/empanage.. and this time.. The plane flew MUCH better!!! It rolls better than the normal stick.. is faster.. but lands just as easily. I won't forget this bird.. and wish you good luck with yours.

Deadstik..

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft..