Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

R.E.P. 1

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 10:07 AM
dicknadine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default R.E.P. 1

anothother new project. R.E.P.1. Esnault-Peiterie, 1907. France. has one major design problem-- NO Verical Rudder/Fin. has spoked wheel on each wing tip. thinking of converting the wing tip wheels to rudders. they would still be wheels, but pivot like a bicycle front wheel. any thoughts- good- bad- indiffernt ? will be the usual 80" ws. dick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88572.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	313123   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42974.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	313124  
Old 08-21-2005, 10:32 AM
GoldenAge

Default RE: R.E.P. 1

Dick,

Did that thing actually fly? You need some serious wing warping controls on it with no rudder. Don't know if wingtip rudders would be very effective unless they were fairly large.

Good luck,

Scott
Old 08-21-2005, 01:31 PM
dicknadine

Barely. short hops of 1900 ft. control was by wing warping, down only with cooridinated elevator movements. have gone so far as thinking of gimbaling the motor, electric. wouldnt be that far out, just move the aft rudder servo, up front. it sure is a design exercise. sure beats the "ready to fly" craze, out of the box. even if it does not work, it sure will look good hanging from the living room ceiling with the rest of my creations. dick
Old 08-23-2005, 07:06 AM
papermache
My Feedback: (35)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dick,
Interesting design. This is a new one on me. You're right - it's a design challenge.
One thing that comes to mind with the absence of a vertical fin is Bob Hoey's "Turkey Vulture" sailplane. It has a drop-away vertical fin for winch/hi-start takeoffs, but flies fine without it once it's in the air. You might think of something like that for this one, at least for takeoffs.
Good luck. If nothing else, you'll discover why it only flew short hops.

papermache
Old 08-23-2005, 09:51 AM
dicknadine

look at the date, 1907. like so many of the so called failures-- it helped get us where are today without 17 buildings full of computors to forcast how bad an idea is. all I'm trying to do is stimulate modeling ideas into Balsa, not contribute to the ARF frenzy. BE DIFFERENT and learn something. old man Dick