Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Fly Baby

Old 09-03-2005, 11:17 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fly Baby

I have a Fly Baby bipe that I have flown for a couple of years. Its just a pain to assemble at the field.
I am thinking I should convert it to a monoplane. I have it fixed so I can remove the cabane struts. Does anyone have the plans for the monoplane wing that I can purchase? The airplane I have is the Balsa USA kit
Old 09-03-2005, 05:40 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Fly Baby

BUSA still lists the plans for sale, but they're $46. Ouch.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:55 PM
50%plane

According to Charlie Munneke, who I fly with and who is building the monoplane and has built and cuts out a shortkit for the bipe, the wing assemblies are radically different. For one thing, the monoplane has fold back wings (this is scale).

Woops
Old 09-04-2005, 10:03 PM
dirtybird

The wings are different but they both bolt on the same fuse. Do a search on the Fly Baby You will turn up a site that describes how Pete Bowers could convert from monoplane to biplane in one hour.
I just wonder if they had the same cord. The biplane had swept wings the monoplane did not.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:41 AM
flicka5
My Feedback: (2)

I also have the Balsa USA bipe. Why not cut the fuse in two behind the cockpit and leave the wings attached to the front fuse section? Then modify the fuse so it can be put together and taken apart with a couple of bolts. The elevator and rudder servos can be repositioned to the rear fuse section and connected up with leads to the receiver at the fuse joint. No need to take the wing cabane struts and "N" struts apart again and again. Should assemble in less than five minutes!