Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

MicroX "The Exeter": Anyone built/flown one?

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

MicroX "The Exeter": Anyone built/flown one?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 12:05 PM
1g1yy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MicroX "The Exeter": Anyone built/flown one?

I am trying to find some info about this plane. Any info would be of help. Thanks
Old 04-11-2013, 05:51 AM
pacoflyer
My Feedback: (23)

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: MicroX

1g,
After all this time...
I actually do have one and it's a great flyer.
A bunch of us were actually thinking about scaleing up the plans and making it a 60 size airplane because it does fly so well. It's too bad the kits are no longer available.
The owner died a few years back and his son when I talked to him at the Toledo show, had no interest in offering the kit anymore.

paul
Old 04-11-2013, 05:58 AM
pacoflyer

1g,
After all this time...
I actually do have one and it's a great flyer.
A bunch of us were actually thinking about scaleing up the plans and making it a 60 size airplane because it does fly so well. It's too bad the kits are no longer available.
The owner died a few years back and his son when I talked to him at the Toledo show, had no interest in offering the kit anymore.

paul
Old 04-11-2013, 04:47 PM
1g1yy2

Hi Paul,
Well, I was sure surprised to get your response to my post! Glad to hear it is a good flyer. I still have the new, unbuilt kit in excellent condition. Life keeps getting in the way of me building it, but maybe I can get to it later this year. It is kinda small, and for about the same effort and building time I usually prefer building larger planes. Let me know if you think of any info about it that might be interesting to me, or if you know of any contact info for someone at MicroX who can give me any info about the kit. Also if you have any pics of yours that you can email me, please let me know. Thanks very much for your response,
John
Old 04-12-2013, 04:06 AM
pacoflyer

John,
Sorry for the double post.I'm sure I only sent the reply once RCU is really acting badly lately
Anyway I'm with you on the bigger planes..I think this one is the smallest glow powered plane that I fly. I actually bought the Exeter already built sometime in the mid 80's. I flew the heck out of it for about 10 years with a Super Tiber 34 heli motor in it until I dumped it one careless day. I had contacted the owner at MicroX and asked him about the availability of another kit. Unfortunately he said that with the popularity of ARFS growing that they stopped offering the kit. He did scrounge up a few left over misc. parts which he later sent to me. I checked in with Micro X at the next Toledo show, talked to the owner's son but was told that the owner had recently passed and they were only offering their small, peanut scale kits. I have not seen them at Toledo for several years and I'm not sure if they are even in business any longer The plane sat in a wrecked heap until about 6 years ago when we rebuilt it. As I mentioned, we had thought about scaling it up to maybe a 65 or 70 inch wingspan but have yet to get around to it. Like you said, for almost the same amount of effort, you can get a much larger plane built as there is a fair amount of building with this kit. It sits low to the ground so be careful with your grass field take off and landings and it would be a good idea to beef up the landing gear. I'll try to find a picture to send you and if you decide to sell the kit, let me know as I might be interested.

Thanks and good flying,
paul
[email protected]
Old 04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Paul,
You ought to post the plans to Outerzone, or they may be gone forever!
I can scan them at full size if you can't.
Dave