Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Question on Bridi Miss Los Angeles, aka Brown B-2

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Question on Bridi Miss Los Angeles, aka Brown B-2

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 08:50 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question on Bridi Miss Los Angeles, aka Brown B-2

Hi,
I've posted this on other forums, and realize that perhaps I should have posted this here first.

I was able to get my hands on a Bridi racer, a Brown B-2, also known as Miss Los Angeles. The kit is complete, except for the manual.

I was wondering if any of you out there had ever built one of these (and what your comments on it might be) and if you happen to have a copy of the construction manual in your 'stash'. I have the plans - just need the manual.

If you would part with it temporarily, I'd like to copy it... or if you could copy it and I'd make it worth your while...

Thanks for the comments you might have,

Bob
Old 12-09-2005, 09:36 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Question on Bridi Miss Los Angeles, aka Brown B-2

Bob,

I'm not really sure if that plane really had a "manual"... most of the Bridi foam/glass kits just came with an instruction sheet...but.. I can tell you this. The plane is constructed just like a fiberglass and foam pattern plane. You basically sheet the wing/stab...make the cutouts for control surfaces....mount the stab and then the wing... and then mount the engine/firewall. The engine and firewall is the most difficult part as it is not done like it is in a traditional airframe. I would be happy to send you one of my instuction sheets to describe how this is done if that would be of help. Just email me at: [email protected] BTW.... that plane is very sensitive to CG location so make certain you get that correct. I have seen two of these constructed back in the 80s... one didn't last very long (snap on landing) and the other became a really pretty hangar queen after watching the first one snap..... anyway... certainly a nice project... and if you need any help on building, just ask..

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 12-10-2005, 02:34 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Dan. I'll send a PM in a minute...

The instructions must have referenced the Instruction Sheet (which my mind changed into 'manual').

Yes, I'd like to see one. And thanks for the heads-up about the snap roll. I'll watch it. I'll be making a built-up wing, which might save a little weight.

One of the burning questions that I'd had about the kit was in regards to formers. There are none, except for one at the firewall. I figured that there might be a couple in the aft fuse for stiffness.. that was one of the questions that I was trying to answer for myself.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
Deadstik

Bob,

I am certain that there are at least two more formers for that fuselage. The plans should show this. One would be directly in front of the leading edge and one behind the trailing edge. They did not use carbon fiber as reinforcement at that time and the rear of the fuselages could "oil can" without proper former support. If you do not have the formers and no drawings to follow, the easiest method is to take 12 gauge solid core copper wire and make an exact form around the outside of where you want the former to be. That way, you can simply go inside about 1/16" inside the copper when you draw out the former on your plywood.

The weight difference between a foam and built up wing is very slight. I can actually make a foam wing lighter than most balsa wings. This involves coring the wing and the addition of carbon fiber in high stress areas. If you are going to make a scale bird out of it, there are still methods... but making a built up wing might be the easiest if you go that route. Let me know your email address and I'll get a generic instruction sheet out to you. I was thinking of kitting a bit bigger version of that plane as it is one of those Golden Age Birds that just "looks right"....

Merry Christmas,

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Dan. You should have received an email from me by now... let me know if you hadn't

I'd been racking my brain to figure out a way to make an outline of the former. I'd never heard of that copper wire method. That's a great one!!!

Thanks for the tip, and thanks again for forwarding that sheet. I'll be looking forward to it.

Bob
Old 12-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Deadstik

Bob,

I didn't receive an email from you to send you the instruction sheet. Send me an email at
[email protected] and I'll get it out to you.

Merry Christmas,

Dan
Old 12-11-2005, 11:18 AM
N1EDM

Thanks, Dan. PM sent...

Bob
Old 12-13-2005, 07:17 AM
Deadstik

Bob,

I think RCU is having a problem getting PMs and email to work correctly. On at least one other forum Pms and emails are not being received. I haven't received anything from you. I tried to post this yesterday and got a server error message.. so not sure what is going on. I suggest you just send me an email after you get out of RCU and via your normal email. [email protected] will do it.

Merry Christmas,

Dan

Carolina Custom Aircraft
Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 PM
N1EDM

Thanks, Dan. I just sent a PM to you, about 9:40PM on Monday evening. I sent it via my 'home' email, not via RCUniverse email,

Thanks again,

Bob
Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 PM
von_Hammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob, did you ever get your B-2 together?
I still have the fuse for mine and was thinking about cutting a new wing for it. Mine got damaged in a move long ago, and I thought I still had the plans around, but I guess not.
Also, to note the conversation above, there were no formers to the kit. The firewall was the only former in the fuse. The wing saddle mounting blocks, very thick, helped stiffen it at the wing, and the spruce beams used to mount the servos was the only other thing in the fuse. It was actually very strong for what it had to do, and mine took some abuse. Mine flew great, and I never had the snap roll issue mentioned. If the take off was a bit too short, it would do the 'big lefty' and it took effort and power to get it back over, but I only did that a couple times, and learned to let it roll a bit longer on take off, and use a little of the flaps. I had an old OS 60 FSR and it was good for it.
I wanted to ask if the plans had the cross section of the foam core, and possibly the wood ribs for the tips. The foam ended, and the tip was made of a short section of 2 ribs, to get a taper, and the large solid block of balsa was shaved down to make the large wing tip. If I could get a scan of the foam core, that would be very helpful, and I can figure out the rest ok.
The kit was so very simple for its day. I had the fuse all set up in one evening with engine, radio, tail section, wing blocks, and the nose cowling (cut outs). The wing took all the time. I spent maybe one Saturday putting it together- mainly spent the most time trying to shave down the wing tips- as the blocks were pretty hefty. Sheeting was typical for the day, and I used Blue Goo from Goldberg. I wish they still made it today. Landing gear took a little effort to insure it was all straight, and soldered well. I glassed the wing and tail section with 3/4 oz cloth and resin. Sanding that down took a bit of time too. Once it was done, she was pretty much ready to fly, save for the paint job. Landings were always good ones, it came in nice.
It would be fun to restore it and fly it again, just for the heck of it!

Daniel
Old 11-29-2014, 05:07 AM
N1EDM

Hi Daniel,

The plane never got made. A friend saw it and made an offer that I couldn't refuse and since I had my eye on another project, I popped for it. I had even had a few laser cut pieces made for the stab/elevator but I never got around to designing an all-balsa wing for it. The deal was that if he ever wanted to sell it I was to get first refusal to buy it back.

I also read your post on the other thread. Thanks for that history lesson!

I may pop my friend for it to see if he still has any interest, as I've since regretted not building it. I think that he has the plans and even the construction manual (minus one page). Thanks for bringing this up again.

Bob

Last edited by N1EDM; 11-29-2014 at 05:19 AM.