Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Orbit Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 04:58 PM
pbunn
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Orbit Radio

I would love to find a 72 Mhz Kraft or Proline single stick transmitter for conversion to 6 meters.

I have developed a small PC board that the Futaba 6 meter module plugs into with a logic inverter (some old transmitters need the logic from the encoder inverter to work with the Futaba module). I have just finished converting a Proline Cadet transmitter with a single stick. I would really like to find a Kraft or Proline with the high quality metal stick though.

Anyone out there have one? Also if anyone would like a copy of the PC board for the Futaba module, let me know.

Pat Bunn
Old 02-08-2006, 06:08 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pat,

I would like the Futaba PC board layout you have offered.

email to [email protected]

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2006, 08:04 PM
swansoro

I flew a DeBolt Jenny with my Space Control in 1964. I still have it (the radio).

Swansoro
Old 12-06-2006, 08:10 PM
swansoro

I flew a DeBolt Jenny in 1964 with a Space Control. I still have it (the radio). [email protected]
Old 12-09-2006, 01:41 AM
dionkadet

If it is still possible to get that Futaba module PC board layout you have offered I would appreciate receiving it

You can email it to [email protected]

Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 09:44 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

I some duplicate Citizen-Ship radios in my small collection that I am looking to trade for other Citizen-Ship radios that I don't own or for other radios from different manufacturers. I have two Citizen-Ship DPT systems and one Citizen-Ship APT system to trade. I can send detailed pictures. Anybody out there want to make a trade?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53954.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	575568  
Old 12-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone ever see a W. S. Deans 10 or 12 channel reed rig?
Old 12-12-2006, 08:57 PM
SGibson

I've never seen, or heard of, a WS Deans reed system.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:17 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

I seem to remember the WS Deans radios. Let me check some of my old model magazines and see.

Steve, what systems are you looking for? I too have acquired a few systems but I am not an avid collect as most of mine are in working condition and are being flown or planned to be flown! I generally look for single channel to multi channel systems on 27MHz which is still legal to fly.

Bob Harris
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10877.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	576431   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47760.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	576432  
Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
EloyM
My Feedback: (194)

For BobHH. Would you have a World Engines Digit Migit????I have one in seemingly perfect unused condition, but no info and not too sure just how it is supposed to work. Would be nice to have one or some experience to compare with. Thanks, Eloy
Old 12-13-2006, 04:41 PM
BobHH

Eloy, I have a single channel Digit Migit unit with the lever on top and i beleive a single button for single channel tone use. I am not sure but will dig it out and post a picture. Came with a receiver and servo combo. My is on 27 mHZ and works well. Should not be too hard to get running. What info are you looking for?

Bob Harris
Old 12-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: SGibson

I've never seen, or heard of, a WS Deans reed system.
The Deans radios were produced about the same time Orbit went to all transistorized reed systems. They were very nice radios, my father had purchased two airplanes from an estate around 1966 or so, one of the airplanes, a VK Mach I had the 12 channel Deans installed. He later sold it and purchased an Orbit proportional (Orbit + Space Control = Orbitrol) radio. Wish he kept it! Production was very limited, I believe I spoke to someone some time ago who has two in his collection.

Bob HH,
I'm going to show my wife your radio collection. She thinks I have a lot of stuff!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:59 PM
Michaelj2k

ORIGINAL: SGibson

I some duplicate Citizen-Ship radios in my small collection that I am looking to trade for other Citizen-Ship radios that I don't own or for other radios from different manufacturers. I have two Citizen-Ship DPT systems and one Citizen-Ship APT system to trade. I can send detailed pictures. Anybody out there want to make a trade?

Nice looking TMS you have there. I have one also.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:27 PM
EloyM

For BobHH. Thanks for the answer and the offer of info. Actually, you have already provided what I needed most - a push. When I first got the Migit, I powered it up, the first surprise was the scope picture of the tx output - it resembles nothing I have ever seen from an RC tx. I assumed something was wrong, confirmed for me by the fact that the servos chattered but did not follow and commands.
Upon taking a closer look, I discovered the white wire coming from the rx and going to the aux servo. There is no mention of it in the instructions and while it is shown in some of the schematics, there is no mention of its purpose. However, I traced it to be a battery tap at half voltage, and upon completely that connection, voila, the Migit came to life!
It looks just like it did the day it left World Engines, has the motor control servo but not the elevator pop-up one. It does have a complete set of instructions and schematics and if you don't, copies can be sent.
I am not a serious collector - more of a tinkerer. What is this unit worth?? Thanks for your help, Eloy
Old 12-14-2006, 04:45 PM
BobHH

Eloy, I too am not a serious collector. Most of my gear has been given to me. I just pay the shipping and such. I am an active member of the Vintage RC Society and founder of Early RC Models. I do fly many of the older model designs with these radios. I also give talks and demos at clubs and swap meets on the history of RC. I am not that OLD but my Dad had a business when I was small repairing and building many of these radios. So I grew up with many of them. When I get stuck I can him for advice and pick his brain!!.

I try to educate the newer guys about the early radio control days and what many went through to just get one flight. Many of these systems get thrown away or tucked away in a collection. I have no problem with that but I just liked to tinker and teach a little history. Unfortunately many of the pioneers are leaving too soon with much knowledge lost. I am trying to record some of it.

I also enjoy taking one of my vintage radios/models to the field and find some of the older guys telling their stories of the old days. Amazingly, I have handed the transmitters to these guys and it is like riding a bicycle, it all comes back to them. Some of them can fly better than I!!

As to value of your system, E-Bay pushes the price kind of high on some items so I don't really know. You may check there. I am always amazed what some of these old radios go for. Again they are just old unreliable radios to me but, I have been criticized by a few collectors for flying my older stuff. I believe that was what it was made for!!!

Bob Harris
Old 12-15-2006, 01:47 AM
EloyM

For BobHH. In my book, you are a real modeler - those that are flying the foam epileptic mosquito thingies are merely playing with toys. I don't fly the old radios, but the nine airplanes in my garage were built 100% by me, kits or plans. No ARF's, thank you.
I have a fair collection of schematics for old radios, mostly the single channel stuff. If you ever need something, check with me, if I have it I will be glad to send it. Enjoy, Eloy
Old 12-15-2006, 07:48 AM
BobHH

Eloy, thanks for the compliment. I do fly all types of model both modern and vintage. I enjoy all the hobby both the building part and tinkering with the radios. My stall has models from 10 inch wingspan to soon to be 14 foot!!! I am amazed with the quality of the ARF's and have owned a few. I just like personalizing my own models by building them myself. I kind of like having the only model like it at the field!

Again, thanks for the offer on the schematics. I may take you up on it. If you have not tried it yet take a look at Bill Hook's sight with many of the older radio schematic available in PDF format. ftp://ftp.rogueview.com/Radio_Control/ I generally send Bill copies of schematics he does not list. Again trying to capture the vintage radio and record the history for future modelers!!!

Thanks,

Bob Harris
Old 12-16-2006, 07:39 PM
XSWAMIX

Hello Orbit Radio fans, I just got done refurbishing/updating an old Orbit 4/8 system and was wondering if anyone still had copies of the factory schematics (available back in the day for $1.95 as per the owner's manual). It was kind of a pain without the schematics so I just hand drew the important circuits from the board (you can actually see the discreet components and work on the board without a $10,000.00 Pace vacuum reflow setup!!) The only parts I had to replace were a few dried up 'lytic caps here and there and replaced them with tantalums, and of course the batteries (upgraded to NiMH). I narrowbanded the Tx with a Fred Marks 'Miller Integration' circuit from an old ACE radio and 2 or 3 well placed caps in the encoder. I narrowbanded the Rx with a 455 kHz ceramic filter in the first I.F. stage gain circuit from an old Kraft radio. The servos just needed cleaned/lubed and I recentered everything to modern day 1.5 ms. neutral. The only real pain was the Rx crystal because it is a 5th overtone type unlike any other AM r/c crystal I could find so I had to have one custom cut. If anyone has or knows of an Orbit schematic package please let me know!!
Old 12-17-2006, 04:52 PM
SGibson

Can you post a picture of the radio? I would lilke to see it. I don't have any schematics.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:42 PM
HighPlains

Just noticed a Graupner kit of the Kwik Fly III (as shown in post 18) sold for $670 on the bay (130060859101). Ouch!
Old 12-27-2006, 11:40 AM
XSWAMIX

WOW!!! That's amazing. Check out Rucina's or Tenjinsama's radio auctions either buy or sell. They're serious vintage radio collectors. They are both very cordial about answering any Q's you may have.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:04 PM
HighPlains

Originally Posted by Michaelj2k
Anyone ever see a W. S. Deans 10 or 12 channel reed rig?
just for historical reason, I found out that the Deans radio was actually designed by Don Mathes. The prototype was used by Doug Spreng to win the Nats with his Stormer design around 1960.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:03 PM
gittarpikk

Methinks I also have an old Orbit 6 or 8 channel radio...
Old 06-20-2019, 03:23 AM
Michaelj2k

gittarpikk, can you tell us more about your Orbit?
Old 06-20-2019, 07:27 PM
gittarpikk

Default OS Cougar radio | Testor Simpulse 1 | Mattel RO radios

Originally Posted by Michaelj2k
gittarpikk, can you tell us more about your Orbit?
Well.. I'm sure I >had< an old Orbit, but for whatever reason can't locate it (but still trying)
I did find these old radios...

OS Cougar
Testor Simpulse 1
Mattel Rudder only

Though I had an Ace RO... but may have been mistaking the Testor for it.