Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

1970's TopFlight R/C NOBLER ????

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

1970's TopFlight R/C NOBLER ????

Old 11-17-2002, 03:10 PM
old_dude
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1970's TopFlight R/C NOBLER ????

Hey Guys

I've got a 1970's kit for the R/C Nobler a friend gave me 15 years ago. I've seen a couple sold on eBay in the past two years.

Has anyone built and/or flown this one ??? I'd sure appreciate any first hand experiences.

Thanks

AMA 213751
Old 12-17-2002, 07:50 AM
Grampaw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend got a Nobler R/C kit back in the 70's when it came out because he had one of the original control line Noblers, and just had to build the R/C version and fly it. I made a few of the first flights for him and as I recall it flew a lot better than I anticipated.
It was a very good R/C sport model. By the way didn't I see a new R/C Nobler ad in one of the mags a while back? I've been going through my back issues but can't find it. If I'm not nuts I may get one.
Old 12-17-2002, 02:45 PM
old_dude

Hey, Thanks grampaw. Naw, you're not goin' nuts, Top Flite has a new R/C Nobler kit. You can see it at tower hobbies site:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=++&search3=Go

Thanks Again
Old 12-20-2002, 07:21 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

I saw Mr Sweeney the designer of the RC nobler put his through a demo flight at the 68 nats in Olathe, Ks. I had the kit and it was really nice and outside of that terrible tri gear set up was fairly faithful to the Aldrice design.
Wish that i coould say the same for the new P.O.S that Great Pain came out with. It is heavy and really dosn't look like a nobler at all. This from a company that when they took over Top Flight threw out all the c/L plans and dies that they had bought.. Then They had the nerve to go online this year looking for plans. Probably have run out of ideas for kits and are going to butcher a few more of the old designs.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:42 PM
Grampaw

Default Nobler

Dennis,
That's probably why I didn't recognize it when I saw it in TP's
ads...it didn't look like the Noblers I knew. Oh well...
Old 12-20-2002, 03:42 PM
old_dude

Default Original TF R/C Nobler

Thanks for the post Dennis !!

So, when I build mine, it'll be a tail dragger (yep)
with retracts ???

Old_Dude

AMA213751
Old 01-10-2003, 06:28 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Does anyone have a pic of the 70's kit color scheme? or can send a pic of the box photo? I need to see what that scheme looks like and I hope it is different from the new one

Thanks; Dan Z.
Old 01-12-2003, 12:00 PM
ec121k

Back in '71 I remember flying one on Guam that another person built. It flew ok but I think the reason the trike gear was installed is that it's a pretty short tail moment and might be a handfull when it comes to ground handling.

You are right about the "new" release. I'd never have guessed it was a Nobler. Leave it to GP to screw it up.

Another point. Look at the older Great Planes Sportster 90/120. It builds out about 1 to 2 pounds heavier than the Astro Hog and they are nearly identical in dimensions. Must be all that "door skin" Luan. Ever hear of balsa?