Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Jetco Crackerjac Kit

Old 01-05-2006, 09:40 AM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jetco Crackerjac Kit

I've been having a nostalgia attack recently and reading up on this board. Yesterday I found a Jetco Crackerjac kit in my stash. Checked the Kit Collector Price Guide on the 'net and it shows it has some collector value. So the two questions that arise are:
1. Does anyone have experience with this model and is it a good flyer or just so-so?
(BTW, I'm trying to work up the nerve to fly it as intended, i.e.: single channel)
2. Would it be a better one to sell or build? If it is a great flyer but too valuable to destroy I can
always duplicate the plans & parts.

Seperate question: If I do go single channel I'm going to need a Controlaire SH-100 Rx and a Rand actuator or (preferably) a SH-115 Rx & Adams actuator. Anyone have them that they would part with reasonably? Tom
Old 01-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Jetco Crackerjac Kit

Tom,
The Krackerjac is an excellent flying model. I had one of these years ago, flying it with an OS .19 and Orbit 3+1 radio. Added an elevator and had a blast doing loops, rolls, Immellmans and whatnot with it. Another fellow had one on single channel rudder and elevator with one of those add on pulsers for the Citizen Ship or Controlaire radios. He would wind up the escapement rubber and it would work great static. Once the engine was started, the airplane hand launched, it was off on a cross-country trip because the radio didn't work with the engine running! Not to bust your bubble but a nice modern radio will save you lots of aggravation and give you lots of flying time. The Vintage Radio Control Society does not require that you use vintage radios unless you want to enter Concours events for max points. Even then, Concours requires that the model be flown and I would rather fly with a reliable radio than no radio at all.

Save the kit and duplicate the parts. Besides, you can eliminate the substandard or heavy balsa for lighter stuff.

Enjoy the kit and check out VR/CS.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:33 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Thank you very much for the answer Mike. That was exactly the sort of experienced advice I was seeking! And I will follow it.
Although I'm not a member of VRCS I've been subscribing to the Yahoo groups daily VCRS chat for some time. It is where I get most of my information and inspiration. A recent gift of a large box of vintage radio gear and data has furthered my interest in geting something in the air. I built a new single channel model last year that hasn't been put in the air to date. I found that my old Mattel 'Baby Doll' had died so I'm trying to run down the other gear needed complete the Controlaire GG Xmtr that was in the gift box. I haven't flown single channel in 10+ years so it's time to get one in the air and refresh my thumbs.
Randy Randolph featured pics of the LS-150 I built in his column several months before his untimely passing, but if I can figure out how I'll include a pic. Tom
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53935.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	381570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12359.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	381571  
Old 02-24-2006, 12:14 PM
boberos

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this model ever presented as a construction article in one of the model mags of the 60's.
I wonder who designed it?

Bob
Old 02-24-2006, 12:55 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

boberos,
Dunno about a magazine article but it's a Bill Winter design. I'm sure that's why I have it since I'm a fan of his designs. Tom
Old 02-24-2006, 03:11 PM
burtcs

The LS 150 is a Reese Littest Stick scaled up 150%

HTH - Steve B.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Tom;

Greetings to you from the very warm and dry 'Valley of the Sun'.

I too have a Jetco CRACERJACK kit, and consider it a 'collector item' for sure, and agree with old Friend Mike above, to save the kit and scratch build as he suggests. That way, you will have a great old collector kit to do.....whatever with, bargain, trade....you name it.

I'm not sure if the late, great Bill WInter designed the Crackerjack, however, back about, oh boy, probably 10>12 yrs ago, he featured the Crackerjack as a design article in Model Aviation magazine, with modern updates, and I cannot remeber if he left the size as is or if he enlarged it? Maybe someone herein can help out with this, but I remember in Bill's article, that de discussed at length, the features of the designs thin lifting airfoil, and how the model could fly a bit faster than other similar models. I will try and find the exact MA issue over the weekend and report back.

Anyways, that's all I can contribute rite now, good luck on your project, and best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:53 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi again Tom;

Re the MA article mentioned above: Tah-Dah!...Found it!!!

I pulled up the AMA Plans website, and started searching by years at '95, up one, down one, and finally located the extensive KRACKERJAC article, [with a K] in the Nov. 90 issue, pg 83, and the article is by two Greats; the late Bill WInter, and Bill Evans, and they did enlarge the size to 74" ws. The Bills' put a lot of work into this article, real good reading, and some great building tips too. Enjoy!

Let me know if you need a copy of the article.

There; a'nudder problem solved! Who, or what is next? Glad to help out Tom, have a great weekend, and again best regards from Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:57 PM
Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

[quote]ORIGINAL: Joe Nagy
I'm not sure if the late, great Bill WInter designed the Crackerjack, however, back about, oh boy, probably 10>12 yrs ago, he featured the Crackerjack as a design article in Model Aviation magazine, with modern updates, and I cannot remeber if he left the size as is or if he enlarged it?>

He is given credit as the designer both on the box and the plans. The WS is 53" for 475 sq. in. of area. Motor callout is .09-.19. AUW 47 oz. I vaguely recall something about the MA article but no details. Spelling on box & plans is 'Krackerjac'. Thanks, Tom
Old 02-25-2006, 11:49 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

I built one for my kid brother back in '69 or 70. I built it from plans but don't think it was from MAN, I think it was in American Modeler, maybe one of the annuals, but just don't remember for sure. We flew it with 3 channels. We went flying one day in winter it was so cold that when we got home all the insulation on the servo wires were cracked! I had to rewire everything.
BRG,
Jon
Attached Images  
Old 02-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Mike Denest

The 'jac was published in an issue (not sure which one) of American Modeler and the plans were sold by Hobby Helpers. The plans may be available from AMA and I'se seen them available on Ebay.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:45 AM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Originally Posted by F106A View Post
I built one for my kid brother back in '69 or 70. I built it from plans but don't think it was from MAN, I think it was in American Modeler, maybe one of the annuals, but just don't remember for sure. We flew it with 3 channels. We went flying one day in winter it was so cold that when we got home all the insulation on the servo wires were cracked! I had to rewire everything.
BRG,
Jon
Nice looking plane - is it still flying ? I have been looking for a kit or built plane !
Happy Landings & Happy New Yr - Rod in PA.
Old 01-04-2021, 11:00 AM
HighPlains

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can find more information on outerzone. Here is a link to the plane, both plans and magazine article.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5420
Old 01-05-2021, 06:58 PM
ramrod
My Feedback: (43)

Originally Posted by HighPlains View Post
You can find more information on outerzone. Here is a link to the plane, both plans and magazine article.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=5420
Great - thanks so much - smooth landings ! Rod

Happy new Yr !!