Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Lance Machining RV-3

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2002, 02:22 AM
naigraav8r

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lance Machining RV-3

I have recently aquired 2 old RV-3 kits. Lance machining kits. How well do they fly and maybe someone could suggest appropriate power for one . they span about 7 feet.
Old 11-25-2002, 02:28 AM
3d nate
My Feedback: (12)

Hello, I am Lances son and I grew up around these planes. I am sure glad to see there are still a few of the RV-3s around. What colors do you have,red, orange, or plain? The very first ones made were a little lighter than the production molded wing planes. For the lighter earlier ones my father used a Zenoah G38, which would be a little sluggish. Latter it seemed everyone used a G62 or a Sachs 3.7 for ultimate power. Now with the newer and lighter engines available it really depends on how much you really want and what style you plan to fly. These planes flew great and had a lot of wing area. If you still have the manual you can call Lance since the phone # should still be the same. Let us know how you set up your plane, and good luck with it. Thanks, Nathan
Old 11-28-2002, 07:58 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nathan, Lance engineering made some of the neatest planes of the 80's really enjoyed my RV-3 and P-40 and Bandit. What ever happened to stop production. These were really ground breaking products at the time. Thanks for sharing any info with us. Dennis
Old 11-29-2002, 02:22 AM
naigraav8r

Nathan,glad to hear from you Iactually have 4 of your dads old kits. The Lancer. P40. 2 rv3s. I think I even have a picture of you beside 2 p40s with your sister? These kits are of true quality are were well made in those days. Thanks for replying. The guy that I got them from will be thrilled to know I talked to you as he never built the kits. However I am eagerly looking foreward to. He also bought from you guys what I do believe to be a Sachs 4.2 .Would that be too much engine for the R Vs?
Old 11-29-2002, 03:43 AM
3d nate

Hello again, First to the question for Dennis. I am really happy you liked my fathers kits. As far as the airplane building business goes. It's like they always say, you can't make money from your hobbies. I think he really enjoyed it but it did not seem profitable. He probably put too much time and work into each airplane. Now I think most kits are made out of the country to keep costs down. He went back to just machining and it has been a good business for us so far. I should note that I also work there too. We did'nt fly much in the 90s but we are now getting back into the hobby. I am actually right now trying to decide on a 30-35% plane. I have been flying mostly smaller planes but with the vast improvements in the gas market there are so many options. My fathers kits seem old but if you think how much wing area they have they are not bad. I think his favorite plane was the Lancer Special. He actually put landing gear on the top of one and did touch and goes with it upside down. Did you know the wing molds for the RV-3s went to Lanier for there stinger. We still talk almost every day what would be the perfect airplane.

As for the question from naigraav8r, I am not sure of the weight on the Sachs 4.2. With all the new light engines out there I am sure there are many possibilities. If memory serves me correctly the RVs have quite a sink rate at low speeds. I think keeping any plane as light as possible is better. But these kind of planes need some throttle at low speeds and landing anyway. I will ask Lance about the Sachs 4.2 and let you know what he thinks. Also would like to note, YES those little kids are my sister and I. Wow that was a long time ago.

By the way if anyone runs across a unbuilt kit let us know.
Keep flying and have fun. Thanks, Nathan
Old 12-16-2002, 09:23 PM
G Watson

Default RV 3

I saw your comments about the two RV 3 kits.

I have a full size RV 3 that is a great flyer.

Would you consider selling one of the kits ??

Thanks, George
Old 12-21-2002, 10:35 PM
naigraav8r

G Watson All four kits I have are nib. Not interested in selling at this time, possibly in the near future. I will keep you posted.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:25 AM
3d nate

Hello, It's the Utah boys again. I wanted to comment about the Sachs 4.2. My Father did'nt remember selling the 4.2. Could it be a 3.7, and is it orange or black? Either way I think it would be OK in the RV. Lance seems think the Zenoah G62 would be a good way to go. I guess it depends on where the plane will balance when finished. Any of these motors will make the RV a hotrod.

I also wanted to let you know I just purchased a lanier 30% edge with the ZDZ-80cc engine. The quality and bench running of the ZDZ seem great.

I don't mean to bother you naigraav8r but if you did want to sell any of the old planes, please let me know. I always loved the looks of the RV-3. I was pretty young and did not have one of my own. Well anyway keep flying and have fun. Thanks, Nathan
Old 12-22-2002, 06:33 PM
naigraav8r

Utah Boys, Nathan if 1 or any of the planes are to be sold U get one first. Guaranteed. The Sachs i have is black by the way . I would love to know if it is a 3.7. Thanks again.
Old 12-24-2002, 05:30 AM
3d nate

Hello again naigraav8r, About you Sachs. Lance says the black ones are from Bennit and he thinks they are the better ones. We are not sure of the size. There is a guy on this forum with the name of rcign . He talks a lot on the giant size engine section. I think he even does engine conversions. I bet he could tell if it is a 3.7 or 4.2. Anyway good luck and have fun. Nathan
Old 12-31-2002, 06:04 PM
naigraav8r

Hello, Nathan .Just a quick question for you or your father. I was wondering if an OS108 would be enough engine for the old P40? Any help is greatly appreciated. Oh yea the Sachs turned out to be a 3.7 from yeagers.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:19 AM
3d nate

Hi There, We don't think the OS 108 would be enough for the P-40. We did use the 108 in the Corsair that we produced and it flew great but this was a smaller airplane. As for the P-40 we suggest a Zenoah G-38 or similar. If you want to go glow, maybe a big Super-tiger or even a Micki. Thanks, Nathan
Old 01-02-2003, 04:22 AM
3d nate

It's me again. The spell check got me. The engine is a MOKI not a micki. Sorry, Nathan
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
dnachristen

Default RE: Lance Machining RV-3

I know this thread is really really old, but a google search dug this up.

3d nate, if your still around on these forums I would love to see if it's possible to still get plans for these planes. Ijust picked up 2 new in the box Lancer Special aircraft. The did not come with any plans. The packing (newspaper) in the box was circa 1986.

If anyone can help I would be eternally greatful.

Doug
Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Its pretty interesting this line of kits wing went to the stinger line...
Old 02-23-2010, 08:30 PM
dnachristen

Stinger line? Forgive me, I'm a bit new here. Not new to building and flying though.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 PM
3d nate

Wow... a blast from the past. If the paper said 1986 I guess I was about 12 years old then. I turn 36 tomorrow!!! Excuse me while I take all this in for a moment....

Yes.. These planes have been out of production for quite some time. Although, I still work with my dad (Lance) and I have seen a old file marked 'Planes' at the shop. I will check and see tomorrow if we still have any old info on these. Another funny thing about the Lancer Special is locally they were known as the "dog turd". They were a mix of parts from the RV-3, Corsair, and others, but they were great flying airplanes. I am glad you found a couple they should be great.

Nate
Old 02-24-2010, 12:07 AM
dnachristen

Thank you so much Nate!

My plan is to build one and put one aside untouched. Maybe when my son gets old enough I'll pass it down.

The guy in this auction actually had several of these type of planes new in the box.

Ask your Dad if he remembers a Lyle Snell. His old address was 1009 Nassau Dr. Las Vegas. That's off of the original packing label

Cool little piece of history.

I see what you mean about the different parts. The nose cone is definitely Corsair, wings from the RV-3 and looks like a cockpit from a p-51 if I'm not mistaken.

Can't wait to get this in the air.

Few questions. Did you guys ever laminate the styrofoam with thin balsa sheets? Or did you just monocoat over it?

I think I'll use the Lancer "Dog Turd" special as the script near the cockpit....LOL That's too funny. This is an amazing kit for it's age.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
3d nate

Good Morning,

I have looked around a little and can't find any manuals on this plane, but I will keep looking. As for the sheeting question, Lance says there are couple of ways to do it. First, if you just want it done faster and just to get out and fly the crap out of it, he used to use a low temp covering. If memory is correct he used Econocote from the Monocote family. It was ironed right over the foam wings. Looks OK and works. However some guys would sheet the leading and trailing edge of the wing and "cap strip" in between to give it a ribbed look when covered. This way the wing looks like it is made from the usual sticks and ribs method. I guess you could also sheet the entire thing as well. Lance always believed lighter is better, but with that amount of wing area I think either way is fine.

He gets a kick out of this to find guys still flying his planes.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 AM
3d nate

One more thing. He also like a covering material called Solortex? It was a low temp fabric that you ironed on and would paint after.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM
dnachristen

Nice! Thank you Nate.

That's a great idea on the covering. Ithink I'll sheet the leading and trailing edge and do the ribbed effect. Sounds cool!

I'm going to mock it up tonight and shoot a few pictures. I'll start my own thread for that. Hopefully someone out there still has a copy of the manual. I might be able to figure most of it out, but there are a lot of parts that Ihave no idea on.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
dnachristen

Sorry for all the questions Nate, would the Zenoah G-38 be the proper motor for this bird? I'm a fan of the Zenoah motor. I can get one locally for around $289.00. Or are we looking more at the G-26?

Old 02-24-2010, 02:07 PM
3d nate

The "dog turd" was designed around the G-38. It's a little old school compared to today's newer 40-50cc engines. However it is a proven and simple motor. We still like it because there is no ignition and it starts well by hand. It does shake a little at idle without the spark being retarded. The G-26 might work but I would go bigger especially if you cap strip the wings. I have seen one with a G-62 and it looked neat! I just purchased one of the China 50cc because I am cheap, will see how it goes?
Old 03-01-2010, 11:46 PM
R Barnette
My Feedback: (2)

I have parts for the lance RV 3 and the lance special, wing skins, plastic molded parts and some unused foam wings.
Ralph
[email protected]
Old 03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
dnachristen

Really? I just sent you an e-mail. I was hoping you had a set of build plans too.

You should be getting an e-mail from doug.christen at ascentron dot com.

I am looking for a wing set for the Lancer Special too. My second plane had the p-40 set with it...LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.