Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 08-22-2008, 04:38 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

RCBOATMANIAC
Dave,
I was thinking I would glue it on with epoxy I hope I haven’t over look something. I’m all about taking advice. (please advise)
Old 08-22-2008, 05:25 PM
germrb
My Feedback: (3)

Rick,

John's procedure is correct, particularly for full size aircraft. However, F&M Enterprise (Poly Fiber producer) also offers a polyester fabric for models. Its called Stits Lite. Its much lighter than standard fabric. They have entire system of fabric, adhesive (Poly Tac), fabric sealer (Poly Brush), silver UV coat (Poly Spray), and top coat paint (Poly Tone). The system is MEK based and is arguablely the lightest system available. The fabric shrinks about 12% and is truely biaxial. I did a 33% YMF-5 and am really pleased.

Here's their web address http://www.stits.com/index.html They also offer a 150 manual and video that's a real gold mine of information. This may be old information, but one never knows.

Good luck
Old 08-22-2008, 07:21 PM
RCBOATMANIAC

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

RCBOATMANIAC
Dave,
I was thinking I would glue it on with epoxy I hope I haven’t over look something. I’m all about taking advice. (please advise)

Since it does have to be feather sanded in to match the vertical fin you would be risking the chance of tearing up your covering that you have done already, plus the sanding that might be required to blend it into the fuselage. I myself I would have glued it directly to the fuselage that way it could be sanded and shaped without running the risk of destroying the covering. Thats my opinion.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:50 PM
skylarkmk1

Rick,

On the full size, the headrest fairing is made from sheet metal and screwed on over the covering into the stringer below.

P1 Rear of headrest fairing on QCF-2 NC 12428.
P2 Rear view of YMF Classic NC 14081
P3 Aft end of fairing at tail group of NC 14081
P4 Front of Headrest fairing on a CTO under going restoration
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98902.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1017073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61390.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1017074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd90757.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1017075   Click image for larger version

Name:	If10803.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1017076  
Old 08-22-2008, 09:57 PM
WacoNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my Waco I glued the headrest to the fuse then filled the joint with spot putty and sanded smooth. I then applied masking tape approx 3/16 of an inch away from the headrest down each side then added a skim coat of spot putty and sprayed a couple coats of high fill primer. sanded everything flush down to the top of the tape then pulled the tape up. This left the appearance of an aluminum flange from the headrest. I applied screws into the flange down both sides. Not perfect but it looks good.
Anthony

Name:	Cz79868.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1017079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41611.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	1017080  
Old 08-22-2008, 10:44 PM
mrdhud

Dave,

O lord add one more mistake to my list. I guess I’ll have to do it the hard way. Why do I always have to learn things the hard way?[:@][:@]
Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 AM
skylarkmk1

Dan,

Gluing the headrest on after covering is not a problem, just a different route. Cut your blank block to top and side view profiles, carve the rounded shape (a good razor plane can help here), hollow the block a little or alot and test fit. The block does not fit the fuse well enough? Easy, put some sandpaper (280-320) over the fuse grit side up and sand the bottom of the headrest (the hollowing make the sanding easier). When satisfied with the fit, finish sand, seal (I do seal the inside and outside), sand to remove the fuzzies and prime. Glue in place, add your screw strips like Anthony suggested above (a little narrower like 1/8"-5/32", Anthony's Waco is 1/4 scale) and you should be ready for paint. Good Luck. Any questions, ask.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:52 AM
mrdhud

Thanks John sounds easy enough where would I be without all the help I get here.

All

My wife was going threw some pictures today and came across this picture. She said it was in a box that came from her grandparents. She not sure if one of the men are her grandfather or not. Does any one know what kind of plane this is? It’s kind of neat looking.
Thanks

Name:	Wu60965.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	1017374  
Old 08-23-2008, 11:40 AM
skylarkmk1

Dan,

It does not appear to be a De Havilland Model-4 (DH-4). At first glance it did, but the lower cowl, wing cut out, wing skids and other points are the wrong shape.

Here is a picture of the only currently flying DH-4M2 in the world, NX 3249H, based at the HARM at CCA for comparision. This was a U.S. built version with a 400 hp Liberty engine. The British built some with either a 200 hp 6 cylinder B.H.P. engine, Rolls-Royce Mark VIII 375 hp engine, Fiat 260 hp, Falcon 250 hp and the RAF 200 hp. Frame work of the fuselage, wing struts and other changes along with the Cowling changes were made to accomidate the various engines, so it may be one of those variants, but I don't think it is.

It is more likely the Hisso powered 1917 Standard J-1 seen in red below, Note the vertical Struts, large cut out in the wing and cowl shape. This particular plane is a movie star appearing in the Great Waldo Pepper, the Rocketeer and in its current color (Red), in a Japanese Beer Commercial, hense the Japanese markings. Most of the dirt and oil stains are fake having been painted on.

Name:	Tr50346.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1017395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85278.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1017396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64673.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	1017397   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61863.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	1017398  
Old 08-23-2008, 03:14 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Guys, the maiden flight of my Pepino 1/4 scale Waco YMF-5 was an unqualified success and so was the second and third. The only trim required was a little down elevator. I need to tighten up the tail wheel pull-pull linkage a little. The only thing that surprised me was the slow roll rate. I would guess that it was exactly scale. Takeoffs and landings were very easy. Loops and Cuban eights were very easy. Inverted flight required very little down to maintain altitude. I had a little trouble maintaining altitude in knife edge flight. I use rudder all the time for co-ordinated turns and that made them look perfect. In fact I just about use rudder more than ailerons. Several people remarked how realistic it looked in the air.

A friend took some air shots and I'll post them when I get them.

By the way if any of you are Real Flight junkies you can download this plane in 3.5 or 4.0 from the swap files of KnifeEdge.com

Name:	Zx70659.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	1017480  
Old 08-23-2008, 06:41 PM
mrdhud

John,

You are truly an encyclopedia of information. The red plane looks like the one. I’d like to know the history behind the photo at least we know what kind it is now
Thanks

Big Bird

Congratulation on the maiden flight. That’s a great looking Waco you have looking forward seeing more pics.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:03 PM
Stickbuilder

BB,

The Pepino Waco looks great. Glad the maiden went good. I'm sorry to have been missing in action, but I had to spend a couple of days in the hospital. Everything is okay now, but it was a tad scary for a while.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-23-2008, 08:10 PM
RICKSTUBBZ

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

.........I'm sorry to have been missing in action, but I had to spend a couple of days in the hospital. Everything is okay now, but it was a tad scary for a while.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill,

With that being said, I am glad your back and I hope all is good for you and family.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Big_Bird

Thanks a lot Bill. I'm sure glad you are doing better.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:11 PM
mrdhud

Bill,

I’m glad all is ok and your back with us I didn’t know anything was wrong, best wishes to you and your family
Old 08-24-2008, 04:09 AM
old git

Bill, don't scare me. I've used this thread as a lifeline to reality? well to something that I really feel I need.

I find it marvelous how many WACOS have appeared from "who knows where" and the standard they are reaching.

Keep fit and well, you're having a very profound influence on the standards of scale modelling.

All the best,

old git - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.
Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Stickbuilder

Well, I had a little scare on Thursday night/ Friday morning. I was feeling some discomfort when I went to bed Thursday evening, and woke up early having Chest pain, and pain radiating down the left arm. Having had one major heart attack (5 years ago) I was not about to take this lightly. We went to the local hospital (one with a great cardiac group) and they immediately took me back and started running a series of EKG's. These tests were giving different readings, and that alarmed all of us. After undergoing a heart Cath. and finding no additional blockages (another good report), the initial chest X-Ray indicated some fluid in the left lung. This turned out to be a case of pneumonia, which is readily treatable with antibiotics. That along with some additional bed rest should have me back hitting on all 7 cylinders very soon. I appreciate the concerns, and good wishes.

Talked at length with Dik Watz last evening, and he is progressing nicely as well. We old Farts have to get well together.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-24-2008, 08:01 AM
WacoNut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill,
Hate to hear you aren't feeling well but glad to hear you are OK.
Anthony
Old 08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
khodges

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

The red plane looks like the one. I’d like to know the history behind the photo at least we know what kind it is now
John certainly can come up with the right picture at the right time. I agree, it's the Standard, the long, straight struts are a giveaway. My own speculation on the one in the picture is airmail delivery. If you note that the exhaust stack on the plane in your picture is long and extends beyond the cockpits, this is an indication of a plane used in night flying. The Standard in John's picture is the normal short exhaust. Airmail planes used the long exhaust so the backfires and other flames that would appear in the shorter stacks would not interfere with the pilot's night vision.

I notice that there is a guy standing at the front 'pit. I don't know how the Standards were configured for mail delivery, but common practice was to load the front with mail, as its weight was usually greater than the pilot's weight, and would less likely make the plane tailheavy. There are "civilian" people on either side of the plane, could be anybody, but they aren't "aviating", as the only apparent "airplane" people are the pilot (helmet/flying suit) and mechanic, standing in front of the left wing with coveralls on.

Great photo, all the more because it's family history.

Ken, beautiful plane, may you have many, many untroubled flights.

Master Chief, snap to and get better. Dick will have to recover faster, who's gonna write for him if you're down too?
Old 08-25-2008, 05:18 AM
Stickbuilder

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!

Lets all welcome BEARMX (Barry Waters) as our newest Brother. Barry, you are Brother #111. Welcome.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 08-25-2008, 09:19 AM
WacoJoe

Hey Bill,

Hang tough, and get back up to 100% quickly!!

Take care!

Joe
WB #54
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
ctflyboy
My Feedback: (3)

WELCOME ABOARD BARRY,

George
WACO Brotherhood # 5
Old 08-25-2008, 04:18 PM
mrdhud

khodges

Thanks for the info on the pic I told my wife that someone would know what kind of plane this is but I have to say you and John gave more than I expected.
Thanks again

Welcome BEARMX to the brotherhood.

stickbuilder,

Bill, did you ever think when you made your first post back in March of 2006 it would be what it is today. My hats off to you, this has to be the fasted growing form on the internet. Thanks to you I’m enjoying many many many days and night building on my Waco.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:21 PM
SuperCub Man

Nice Waco seen at the Abbotsford Airshow a couple of weeks ago! This Forum keeps kicking me out! If I don't post every week, I stop getting notices of other's postings. Oh well - just about finished the aircraft any way! Decided to wait for a 2.4 Gig radio so I don't have to worry about routing that d..n antenna! Maiden after that.

Name:	Vt56664.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	1019449  
Old 08-25-2008, 05:44 PM
gjmjoe017

Hey Bill,just wandering through your thread and glad to hear your ok.My wife had one of those scares about two months ago,so I know what you guys went through.Glad to hear your hitting on all cylinders!!!The Bulldog II is flying great by the way.
Joe

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.