Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

WACO YMF

Old 02-08-2007, 05:13 PM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: WACO YMF

Guys,

I did not mean that thte work had to be done for free. There is nothing wrong with recovering your expenses. The thing about the ownership and doing the job for money bothers me. I don't expect anyone to labor for nothing, but this is THE BROTHERHOOD. Let's just all try to remember that.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Anyone wanting a set of the scans in Hard copy form, rather than waiting for the scans to be put into cad form, please let me know.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:26 PM
damifino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The easiest way to do the CAD stuff is to take a 'good enough' set of parts, be they hand cut accurately or sanded die cut parts from the kit, and digitize them with a Rhomer arm. May be spelled wrong, I'm not sure. They will then be put into Solid Works, Autocad, or Corel Draw so a laser cutter can read them. And, for those of us who prefer to smell freshly cut balsa, the patterns can be printed, glued to the wood and cut out, remember, like ribs can be cut in a stack and several have the same outline and just different notches.

Any way you put it getting the parts into a digital format is very time consuming. If anyone here is worried about how much their time is worth then there is going to be an argument about money and we've lost the hobby aspect of our endeavor. As far as I'm concerned the traced images from STICKBUILDER is all I wanted and need and for that I'm forever grateful to him.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:58 PM
Stickbuilder

Jay,

Your scans will be in the mail this weekend, along with the Cowl and Blisters. I'm with you, we never wanted to go into a commercial venture with this, and I'll be Da**ed if I will let it happen. I will fight anyone who tries to profit from the efforts of all who have been contributing from this effort.

As to stacking the ribs, this is the preferred way to do it, but there are none that match up with the others unless they have the same part number. Some of them have an up-turn to the trailing edge, and the wing has a decreasing chord from the wing break to the center.

This is not an easy Model to part, nor is it particularly easy to build. the best part is what you get when it all comes together. There will be times when you will wonder why you ever started it, but if you keep plugging along pretty soon there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

NO ONE OWNS THIS MODEL. IT BELONGS TO THE AGES.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: Edwin

Just got the plans from HarryJ yesterday. They look pretty good for copies. At first glance, the wings look like they are buildable from the plans. The wing profile views pretty much cover all the different wing ribs. The fuseloge, on the other hand, doesnt give you much to work with.
Edwin
Edwin,

Don't be fooled. The wing profile that is shown on the plan, only applies to one rib. The Chord and the cross section changes a lot as you move down the wing. If memory serves, there are 11 different ribs, not counting the riblets, and the stiffeners. There is actually not much that is usable on the plan as far as parts are concerned. The tail group is the major exception. The tail group can be built from the plan. Think about using the Counterbalance on the rudder. Look at photos of the full scale. Some use it, some don't.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Stickbuilder

Gentlemen,

CubNut (Anthony) has expressed his desire to become a member of the Brotherhood. Please Welcome him as Brother #30. He has lots of experience, and will really be a great asset to our group. Please make him feel at home.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-08-2007, 07:24 PM
damifino

Right, I over-generalized on the rib stacking. There are however a good many that can be stacked when you look at the right and left components.

HARRYJ- Thanks so much for the instructions, they are a little more clear than what I printed off the thread. Your side notes are helpful too. Thanks again!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:44 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Guys,
This looks like a great project and I am excited to be a part of it, I am not sure how much help I will be to this group but I will step up and help out when and where I can.
Anthony
Old 02-08-2007, 09:57 PM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Gentlemen,

CubNut (Anthony) has expressed his desire to become a member of the Brotherhood. Please Welcome him as Brother #30. He has lots of experience, and will really be a great asset to our group. Please make him feel at home.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

I'm all for it, can we call him WacoWacky when he's on this thread? If he does for WACO's what he's done for Cubs, we got us a winner.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:22 AM
Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

ORIGINAL: ronj10
...create good dxf files from scratch using the hard templates and my own 12" digital caliper to measure with. I would only want to do a few at a time because they are time consuming. Like most engineers I am a perfectionist to a certain degree. Who else could do some to help share the burden?
I'll certainly sign up for this. I've just started plotting the parts in AutoCAD (not using the converted jpgs, but using the jpgs as a background to plot lines, etc. over), but I have only worked on the first sheet of fuse parts so far. Lots left to do. Also, I'm more of a SolidWorks user, so I'm haveing to relearn AutoCAD as I go.

Chris

Chris,

Until the situation is resolved concerning ownership of the files, and the profit taking from this venture, I regretably ask you to immediately remove the scanned files from your website.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Stickbuilder

To: ALL members of The Brotherhood:

Until such time that the question of, "Ownership" of the parts files is resolved, there should be no attempt to make these parts scans available to the public for exchange of money, or goods. It is (and has been) my position that these parts scans are to be free to whomever wants them, and I will continue to do this. I will make hard copies available to whoever wants a set. These files are to be for your private useage, and are for the sole purpose of cutting yourself a kit. They are NOT to be copied, sold, traded, or in any manner used to gain a profit for yourself, or any other entity. These tracings are to be given to anyone who wants a set to be able to build this model airplane. As to the question of who owns them; the answer is very simple. They belong to the General molelling public. It is my gift, and as such they belong to the public domain. Anyone attempting to profit by the selling of these parts diagrams, or likeness thereof, should be identified as such, and notice given to the buying public.

In short, They are not yours to profit from, so don't try it.

I'm sorry that it has come to this, but due to a series of postings yesterday (8 February 2007) I feel that it is necessary to take these steps to protect the Brotherhood, and those who later wish to gain a set of the parts tracings in order to be able to build one of these models.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 07:34 AM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stickbuilder,
Sent you a pm. In a nutshell, I would like a copy of the templates too.
Edwin

edit; I got a lot of helpful info from cubnut when I was researching my current cub project. Lots of good ideas on scale details.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:39 AM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

To: ALL members of The Brotherhood:

Until such time that the question of, "Ownership" of the parts files is resolved, there should be no attempt to make these parts scans available to the public for exchange of money, or goods. It is (and has been) my position that these parts scans are to be free to whomever wants them, and I will continue to do this. I will make hard copies available to whoever wants a set. These files are to be for your private useage, and are for the sole purpose of cutting yourself a kit. They are NOT to be copied, sold, traded, or in any manner used to gain a profit for yourself, or any other entity. These tracings are to be given to anyone who wants a set to be able to build this model airplane. As to the question of who owns them; the answer is very simple. They belong to the General molelling public. It is my gift, and as such they belong to the public domain. Anyone attempting to profit by the selling of these parts diagrams, or likeness thereof, should be identified as such, and notice given to the buying public.

In short, They are not yours to profit from, so don't try it.

I'm sorry that it has come to this, but due to a series pf postings yesterday (8 February 2007) I feel that it is necessary to take these steps to protect the Brotherhood, and those who later wish to gain a set of the parts tracings in order to be able to build one of these models.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
This is a SHAME, why do good things always have to turn out in this kind of a mess. Now I understand why we greedy people need lawyers!.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:59 AM
Stickbuilder

I have PM'd the involved parties, and given them my phone number. I have asked them to call me, to see if this can be resolved. So far, there has been no response. We will see. I will keep the Brotherhood up to date on what transpires. I'm sorry that It came to this as well, but there are some people who can't stand to see a good thing happen. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm trying to protect the efforts of all of us by doing this.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 09:30 AM
ChrisMH

Chris,

Until the situation is resolved concerning ownership of the files, and the profit taking from this venture, I regretably ask you to immediately remove the scanned files from your website.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
It's down.
Old 02-09-2007, 09:57 AM
Stickbuilder

Chris, and All,

Hopefully we can get this situation resolved quickly, and move on. So far though, I have heard from neither party.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Stickbuilder

ALL,

I have spoken with one of the parties involved, and have his assurance that he does NOT wish to make a commercial venture of this plane, That being the case, if the parts are Laser cut, he does deserve to be compensated for his time and materials. I do not wish to see this plane become another commercial venture (as did the Duellist).

Chris, you are okay to bring the file back up, and we will march on from this point. Thanks to everyone for not turning this one into a war. It was more of a misunderstanding on what I was reading.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 11:55 AM
skylarkmk1

To those wishing to profit.

I am in this hobby for the fun of it, to build and fly model airplanes. I enjoy the challenge of researching about a particular plane, finding out its history, drawing or obtaining plans, taking a pile of wood, cutting the parts out, gluing them together, covering and painting and finally seeing something I have created take to the air. A most satisfying feeling comes over me. Am I nervous the first time I flip the prop for the first flight? Do my knees shake as I advance the throttle? Am I praying like crazy that things go well and the plane lands in one piece? Am I relieved and exhausted after a successful maiden flight, you bet I am. I think we all have these same feelings.

Yes, I have built a plane or 2 that I later sold after another modeler has seen it fly. Did I make money, probably not when you consider the time and effort I put in to its construction. If I wanted to make money at this Hobby, I would be in business full time, probably struggling to stay in business. I work at a job to pay for this hobby (and other things), just like most of the rest of us.

To those who have contributed their services in bringing this WACO kit back to life and make it available to the rest, I thank you. To those who have offered to provide the rest of us with hard copies, I would expect to pay for the cost of copy and postage. To those who would offer parts lazar cut, I would expect to pay for the material and time involved. Everyone here is a volunteer, modeler helping modeler, donating their particular skill, time and effort to restoring and improving this kit and making the plans complete. This is a hobby, by my definition (to paraphrase the boating definition), “a work table covered with wood, glue and dust onto which we pour moneyâ€.

Thanks for listening.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:57 AM
ChrisMH

Chris, you are okay to bring the file back up, and we will march on from this point. Thanks to everyone for not turning this one into a war. It was more of a misunderstanding on what I was reading.
It's back up. Updated with the rest of the wing parts I received from Stickbuilder.

Chris

Old 02-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Stickbuilder

Thanks guys.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 01:29 PM
AROPLANE
My Feedback: (52)

AROPLANE here
Yes the one with the laser
let me start by saying NO I have no interest in making a commercial venture with the pico Waco it just would not pay as cox has the rights to the kit. even if the don't make it .It also wouldn't pay to kit this plane as threes is now the ARF and still many kits out there that can be gotten from RCU or even eBay
All the planes that I am doing are larger mostly 25% and bigger and of my design
don't get me wrong I think it's great there are people out there making the out lines of the parts so this plane could still be built
The problem is that it takes a lot of time to do these drawing. and the only thing they can be used for in cutting out a kit by hand
not laser cutting even if there put into Auto CAD as there not taken off the parts first hand and there will be to many variables to put cut files together from them.
If someone did put a cut file together yes I would cut it out for them but how good would it be that's the big question
Would I do A Waco ? even of my design maybe down the road

I hope this help out with whats be going on, and yes if I can help just ask
AROPLANE brother #29
Old 02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
WacoNut

StickBuilder,
Have you painted the trim color on your WACO yet?? I am interested in seeing how it came out. I have searched back thru these pages and I do not see any pics.
Later!
Anthony
Old 02-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Stickbuilder

I'll try one from here...I may have to wait until I get home to do one, but here goes.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12278.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	617176  
Old 02-09-2007, 03:09 PM
WacoNut

Very Nice,
I will PM you my address, make sure you pack it well for shipment
Anthony
Old 02-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Stickbuilder

When you can get a genuine pig (hampshire or duroc) to actually whistle, I'll consider it.
Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Old 02-09-2007, 05:10 PM
ChrisMH

I've started work on conversion of Bill's tracings to CAD. Attached are screenshots of F1, F4B, and F4T. I'm not sure that this is the best way to do this, but I'd like to get some validation that the drawings I'm making are correct. Bill, if it's not too much trouble, could you check some of the measurements on the pics against the real parts?

I'm doing this in SolidWorks. I'll be able to virtually build the model as I create parts, which will help with accuracy. Attached is the beginnings of the Brotherhood's Virtual WACO...it ain't much yet, but it's a start.

Chris

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59814.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	617244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41646.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	617245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz67783.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	617246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ey70152.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	617247  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.