Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Thermal Hopper Reed Cage Ring

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Thermal Hopper Reed Cage Ring

Old 04-21-2006, 12:27 PM
jetpack
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thermal Hopper Reed Cage Ring

I bought a brand new Thermal Hopper Tank Assembly still in the box and noticed it had been dropped and caused a ding in the reed basket ring. Well it turns out it was more than a ding cause when I took it apart, it cracked and broke right at that spot without any pressure. Does anyone have a spare they could sell?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:57 AM
jetpack

Default RE: Thermal Hopper Reed Cage Ring

Does anyone know what other engines that reed cage ring is common with?
Old 09-27-2006, 10:50 PM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi jetpack,
In my Cox 1/2A parts box I probably should have a used one for you ..... and BTW, I have not forgotten about the Stanzel Mono-Line units, it's just that I got busy on another project once you said 'no big hurry'. Can you be a bit more descriptive on the Space Bug / Thermal Hopper part that you seek ..... as stated I do understand it to be the round '90 degree lipped' aluminum 'reed housing' cage that holds the reed assembly in place?
Later, Donald Garry
Old 09-27-2006, 11:35 PM
jetpack

Yes thats the ring I'm talking about. Mine has one dimple in the side of it to align the two reeds and also provide friction to hold the ring when its popped on. It looks to be a stamped and formed piece, rather than turned from stock. I took it apart to polish the reeds and tank, and when I got to cleaning the ring is when I noticed the ding in it from concrete. I left it alone and just tried to reuse it, and when I pressed it on it popped with just the slightest pressure. It sits more like a C clip now, and the crankcase clearences keeps it in place, but I wouldn't trust to run it that way. It sure would be nice to have one that wasn't broke, due to the way the rest of the motor turned out after hand working each part for a nice display piece thats headed into the Skyray example.

Still no hurry on the control unit as I still have to copy the kit parts on the Skyray, and there's a ton of them! Berkeley wasn't shy on making punches with this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mj24740.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	531624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19977.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	531625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99286.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	531626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy78384.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	531627  
Old 09-28-2006, 08:08 PM
injunnut1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am sure I have the part you need, give me a day or two to dig it up. Meanwhile, how about posting your procedure(s) for doing the fantastic shine job on the early Cox cast aluminum parts? Thanks!
Donald Garry
Old 09-28-2006, 11:15 PM
jetpack

Hi Don,

Thanks for your replies!

I started out cleaning motors as a teen, primarily to keep my control line Cox engines running.

I just start out with hobby files and remove the parting line humps, then switch to moldmakers polishing stones (sticks of abrasive) down through the grades, then wet/dry fine sanding, then just a good rub of metal polish cream and then finally a good bath in Hoppe's No. 9 to float off any abrasives.

The only trick to it that others might not find right away is the Bear polishing stones, but those are carried by MSC or other large tool supply catalog in any grit from 180 to 400 i think. The sizes are square, round and flat....all about 6" long and 1/8 to 1/4 cross sections. The ends can be shaped by emery cloth or a grinder to get the right point going before you start rubbing. Primarily used in plastic injection moldmaking in finishing cavities. To brighten any corners that you cannot reach to polish, there's a sink cleaner called "Barkeeper's Friend" that works great on aluminum. Don't use Comet, you won't be happy because it spots aluminum dark if not rinsed properly. Just use an old toothbrush and water to make a paste and scrub away.

To clean the reeds I used an old racing trick. Just use a piece of bonded copy paper, and smear a fine polishing cream on it to make a nice smooth, dry patch of it, then just use your finger and rub the reed around on it using pressure in different spots as you go. DON'T HOOK IT or you'll hate me for the idea. Once it's creased, its shot, so go easy and light and get the technique going. It takes a bit of fingerprint with it, but as we used to say as kids, "don't worry its just skin."