Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Vintage transmitter with modern receiver

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Vintage transmitter with modern receiver

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:11 PM
maxpower1954

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vintage transmitter with modern receiver

I finally got around to test flying my idea - a vintage transmitter (in this case a 1966 Citizen-Ship model DPT five channel) and modern receiver (Futaba R114H AM on 27.145) with modern servos (FMA S70.) The victim: my Hobby Lobby electric Wingo, which I have been flying since 1999, probably the oldest Wingo in the country! She's had a full life, and is the most expendable model I own.

I snagged the Citizen-Ship off ebay and was very pleased when I got it...it is in excellent condition. Some Brasso metal polishing and it looks like it came right out of the box. It's an interesting beast - no RF meter, sheet metal trim levers and an almost seven foot long antenna (no center loading coil, its a full quarter-wave.) I love the red anodized finish and open gimbal sticks - they appear made in-house. It looks almost home-built. ..I replaced the long dead 500 MAh GE ni-cads with a 1900 MAh nickel metal hydride (an electric flight pack I had lying around), about one ounce heavier.

I range checked it with the transmitter antenna collapsed - it still sticks out nearly a foot. I got over 200 feet, no other info to go on unless someone out there happens to know.
Well, off into the wild blue! Everything worked perfectly. I climbed till it was a speck in the sky, still solid. In two long flights, I had one minor glitch close in (the speed control burped, but that has happened on 72mhz as well.) I think this transmitter really puts out the power, my old Controlaire was 750 mw, if I remember correctly. Modern ones are on the order of 250-300 I believe. Sure was weird holding that huge metal box with long sticks, compared to my Hitec Optic 6!

The plan is to install the Futaba airborne components in a Goldberg ARF Senior Falcon, a perfect complement to the Citizen-Ship TX, with a K & B .61 (I was going to use a Lanier Caprice, but I'm running out of time before the North Carolina vintage meet.) I think this combo should be ideal - reliable modern airborne systems using vintage TX, vintage engine and airplane (well, at least the Falcon ARF has the original 1964 color scheme

I don't feel like messing with old RXs and four wire servos again...Russ Farris
Old 05-01-2006, 06:12 AM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Vintage transmitter with modern receiver

Time's a wastin' Russ! I'd love to see your rig in NC. Remind me to give you plenty of clearance with that 7' whip! I'm trying to get my Northrop Duster completed and get at least one flight in before I go. If not, then I'll get Big John ready. FWIW, AM modulation radios with work with any combination of components. As long as everything is tuned, it should be fine. They don't make then like they used to.
Old 11-12-2006, 11:39 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I finally got around to taking a picture of my old Citizen-ship radios. All the the bare metal cases except one that was made in the early late 60's or very early 70's that was red vinyl.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79606.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	145.1 KB
ID:	559284  
Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
fritzke

Russ,
Glad it worked as I have an MRC F710 system (EBAY!) and I bought a new
Futaba Rx for it. Tried it on the bench and it seemed to work just fine.
I want to convert the linear servos to 3 wire amps too.
Flying is still legal on 27 and the CB radios are mostly gone now right?
(Cell phones and all..)
Most of you know this site:
http://www.mindspring.com/~rellis2/rcpattrn/retro.htm
Dave
Old 11-13-2006, 04:54 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Dave, I have been flying a 710 for about 2 years now in my School Girl. I just changed the batteries out and am using a Futaba 27mHz receiver with no problems at all. I also have several older transmitters using the modern 27 receivers. Some are even the cheap $10.00 3 channel receivers from China!!! All fly great!

Bob Harris
Old 11-13-2006, 05:50 PM
maxpower1954

Hey guys, since we're back on the subject of old transmitters and modern receivers, I'll sum up the results of my testing this year.

After initial flights with the Wingo, I flew my Senior Falcon with the Citizen-Ship DPT, and Futaba R-114H AM single-conversion receiver. The R114H has been discontinued,
but the good news is the HPI RF-2 receiver is manufactured for HPI by Futaba, and guess what? It's the R-114H in a HPI case! It's still available new for 35 to 40 bucks, or off ebay.
Frank Schwarz alerted me to this one, and I tested two RF-2 receivers he graciously loaned me in the Falcon, using the C-S TX and a MRC-700 I got from ebay. Flawless performance. Thanks, Frank!

I also test flew the new Futaba R124H AM. While it was fine in the Wingo, the range seems considerably less than the R114/RF-2. The antenna is considerably shorter, and the ground test range was only about half of the older design. No reason to use it, especially since the others are readily available.

Thanks also to Ron Ellis, who replaced the caps and aligned the C-S, MRC-700 and a Proline (which I haven't gotten around to testing yet.) That's his site link in one of the messages above.

Contrary to all the chicken littles and arm chair theorists at the club field and on the internet, you shouldn't have a problem flying on 27mhz. For that matter, I never had a problem back in the 1970s either, at the peak of the CB craze - a 1/4 mile from U.S. 1 in the Florida Keys! Yes, it's perfectly legal for airplanes; many of the new electric park flyers are on it. (Watch out for them...) 27 is a great way to re-live the old R/C experience without expensive/impractical narrow-banding of 72 gear, or ham license requirements on 6 meters.

Fly safe, Russ Farris

Old 11-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Deadstik
My Feedback: (8)

Russ,

Great work.. glad to see your efforts paid off... SOMEBODY has to keep this old stuff flying...

take care,

Dan
Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM
maxpower1954

Hoot: That's a great looking collection of Citizen-Ships! I notice both of your DPTs have white plastic (?) trim pieces around the stick openings and trims, which mine does not.
Mine looks like the C-S ad in M.A.N December 1966 - I guess they added the trim later to dress things up a little bit...Russ Farris
Old 11-13-2006, 06:10 PM
TFF

Hey cool radios. What is the reactions at the field? When I bring Kraft stuff out I get the evil eye, or am asked if it is homemade. i have a Jenson stick with one and building a Kwik Fli 1 and Super Fli that both will have Krafts.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

None of my old radios are in planes. Because their age, I assume most are not flyable condition. I may open up one of the Citizen-Ship DPT model transmitters to see what frequency they are on. If one is on the 27 band, I may try to buy a receiver on the same frequency and fly a Bird of Time with it !
Old 11-13-2006, 08:50 PM
BobHH

Russ, I've had no issues with my 27 mHz radios at any of the fields I have flown them at. Been flying some almost 10 years now! I have been using some of the current 27 receivers from Ace and some of the cheaper China sites. Even got a 4 channel receiver the other day for around $6.00.

As for the looks at the field just be prepared. Many of the newer guys are suspicious because they do not know the history or what is legal or not. Remenber 27 does not fall under the "Narrow Band" rule.

Now for some really cool looks get a single chanel pulser or galloping ghost!! The yell out "man you're getting hit something awful!!" Finally, see their expression when winding up my escapement!!!!

Bob Harris
Old 11-13-2006, 08:57 PM
fritzke

This is the Rx Russ mentioned: the Futaba R124H 4 channel 27 mhz, $40:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...p?&I=LXJKR3&P=
They still sell a 27 mhz 4 channel radio with the R114 too:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXBCP2**&P=
And Ace R/C seems to have one now as well:
http://www.acehobby.com/ace/rx.htm
Great price on that unit!
Dave
Old 11-15-2006, 01:01 AM
maxpower1954

Hi Bob! Actually, the guys at my field (York County Flyers, I believe you have flown there) are pretty cool about it - most are fascinated with the old radios, especially the Citizen-Ship. One guy asked me if I made it myself! It's easily the most vintage looking radio I have...the seven foot antenna and the sheet metal trims give it real charm. I avoid looking like a total old coot (at 52) by flying an Optic 6 with my Mini-Funtana and Simprop Sukoi. Next electric is a scratch-built Lockheed Electra (the four-engine turbo-prop) with Speed 300s, in National Airlines colors. I HATE flying what everyone else has!

At the Mid-South meet, there was a gentleman video taping interviews with different flyers, including me, for a professional production - did anything ever come of that? Russ Farris
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
BobHH

Russ, Drexel was the guy doing the video. I saw a preview a few weeks ago. A pretty good first attempt! He hopes to be out with a DVD in the next few weeks of the event with various interviews with the fliers at the event. He is a retired editor for one of the major networks and does this on the side. He apologized for taking so long but has been tied up with a few commercials he is producing. I will post info as soon as he is ready!!

I think my Dad joined the York fliers this year. I am not sure he made the field much because of his ankle injury but hopefully he will be back on his feet soon.

BTW, Next years MidSouth Vintage flyin will be on Memorial Day weekend May 26 and 27. Mark your calender now!!!

Bob Harris
Old 11-19-2006, 09:09 PM
Bud Faulkner

I have a brand new never flown RS single stick 7 ch. on 72.24 but can't use it and have been told it can't be gold stickered. Get this......serial #B7N001