Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Maiden flight, 15 mph gusts, plane still ok.

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Maiden flight, 15 mph gusts, plane still ok.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 PM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Maiden flight, 15 mph gusts, plane still ok.

Beautiful day for a maiden flight today. About 65 degrees with a wind my wind meter showed gusting to an occassional 15 mph.

Plane is a newly finished 78% Smog Hog. Rudder, elevator, and throttle. The plans I have for the full size SM show a Veco .19, so I figured a Fox 40 with a 10-6 prop should do the job.

In spite of having about twice the rudder throw needed, it survived the first flight, that had the spectators expecting to have to pick up some pieces. Lots of unintended knife-edge flight.

After my knees stopped knocking, I reduced the rudder throw, added a couple clicks of down, readjusted the carb (the engine hadn't been run in about three years, and went up again. Flew out a tank this time. 8 ounces lasts almost 20 minutes at part throttle. Still need to readjust the throttle linkage and maybe add a couple washers for some downthrust. Should be ready for next Sunday's club Fun-Fly.