Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

In search of the "Ring Wing"

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

In search of the "Ring Wing"

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 11:39 PM
eetrapnoel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In search of the "Ring Wing"

Hi all,
Iguess the correct term is "non-planar" wing.

I am trying to find a design that my father had messed around with in the 70's, I beleive he got it from an older R/C magazine from the same time.

It is basically all balsa construction with a stick for a fuselage with a smaller ring in the front and a larger ring (actually it was octagonal shaped) on the aft side. It also had a motor, probably a .009 -- and it flew! I used to make these as a kid with a straw for a fuselage and paper strips taped into a circle -- they flew too. All I could find on the web were scientific explanations WAY beyond my scope. Does anyone remember these or have any info?
Thanks in advance.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:56 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: In search of the "Ring Wing"

Moved to the vintage area since you're looking for a plan or article.

I remember something along that line with an 020 or 049 on it as well. In addition I think Dick Nadine made an RC version of this recently. Try a search or two on his user name dicknadine or barrel wing or ring wing or some other combos.
Old 05-28-2006, 09:13 AM
oscar2005

i saw the paper and straw version when i was in jr high so that puts the time frame around 1968-1969
Old 05-28-2006, 10:13 AM
dicknadine

the Ring wing was a Roy Cough design back in the 1930's. mine was a approx 30" dia version of it, never get a chance to fly it due to Hurricane Katrina taking it all of my other planes and plans for a boat ride, without a boat. search back thru the old RCU/Vintage correspondance for fotos of it and methods that I used to form the ring. plans of a small version by Roy were published in Model Airplane News back in the late 1930's. will help as much as possible. dick
Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think there was one published in Flying Models and another in Aeromodeller. I'll look and see if can find them.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Leo

"Ringer" plans here:
http://www.rcstore.com/rs/general/de...3961&catego=PL
Old 05-29-2006, 10:40 AM
dicknadine

OK. I stand corrected. my plane was not the RING wing model but the HOOP Wing plane. its still on the drawing board to build another one. in fact you have interested me in doing the RING plane. its now on the drawing board. the construction method is still the same on the Rings as the HOOP. lots of wet laminations required. dick
Old 05-31-2006, 10:32 AM
eetrapnoel

Thanks for all the replies. I was hoping someone had the original arcticle, but at least someone else remembers them! I did an extensive web search for the paper version, I could only come up with these so far.............

http://www.sciencebyjones.com/loop_airplane.htm

http://www.aeroi.org/aia/posterback/...3b13c711aa4714

Anyone that is interested, just for fun, make the paper version. When proportioned correctly you will see that this thing surprisingly glides through the air like butter (butter?).

Dick, if you get there before I do (you probably will!), please keep us posted. Ive wanted to make an electric large scale of this for years but never really had the time. Thanks again.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:48 PM
dicknadine

its on order, just as soon as the bride spings open the purse. will probably be something around the 80" equivelent, what ever that turn out to be. dick
Old 06-02-2006, 06:56 PM
dicknadine

You got me interested in the Ring PLane, only problem so far would be how or where to add rudder and elevator control, probably a horizontal elevatorrand vertical rudder aft ring, eilierons in the wing rings also. will think more about it before ordering the plans. would be another to dream about activity. dick
Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 PM
eetrapnoel

Hi Dick,
Well, it seems that you and I will be tackling this one. Before I go any further, I am not an aircraft designer/engineer or great draftsman (see pic below). Maybe some more experienced folks from the aerodynamics/design section can chime in.

Basic control -- cross the elevator and rudder directly behind the aft ring. The elevator might have more effect at the top or bottom rather than in the center but takes away from the "look".

Better control -- this would be a small feat of engineering - move the ENTIRE surface, tilt the whole ring up, down, left or right. It probably can be done with either the forward or aft ring.

The ultimate control -- do the same as above but with both rings moveable, kind of like dual axle steering in cars.

Im not so sure that ailerons would have much practical use on this, except to swing the stick or fuselage left or right. Again, maybe a genius in here can help us out. Who knows, maybe we are screwing around with a bad design in the first place?

Anothr good question is where to place the motor/prop? In the aft ring?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17338.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	471013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je98742.gif
Views:	23
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	471014  
Old 06-04-2006, 05:00 PM
dicknadine

plans are ordered. will start thinking how to control it, after they get here, also what size to build. right now I'm having trouble getting back in gear. the hands don't want to draw what the mind says do. its too easy to flip the TV channels. dick
Old 06-04-2006, 06:00 PM
eetrapnoel

Dick,
you keep saying "ordered". Did you find out who has these or are you talking about the "ringer" plans from rcstore.com ?
Old 06-04-2006, 10:55 PM
eetrapnoel

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, kind of. Its not exactlywhat I was thinking of construction-wise. Searched for ringwing here, even has a video.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=annular