Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Megow Ranger

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 05:44 PM
Gill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megow Ranger

The July issue of Flying Models has a picture on page 47, Oldtimer Topics, of a Ranger being hand launched by Tom Carman during the 2nd Annual SCAMPS Taibi contest.

I'd like to find out more about the model, like when did it come out, wing span, the designer, etc. And where can I get plans for this nice looking FF.

Is Tom Carman a visitor of RCU?

Jerry Gill
Old 06-18-2006, 06:01 PM
rainedave
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Megow Ranger

The Ranger was kitted by Megow in 1940. Span is 46" 348sq." designed, I believe by Matthew Kania who worked for Megow and Sterling (he also designed the C/L Ringmaster, if I'm not mistaken). Either P&W or Midway still has a partial kit. Klarich aand/or Bob Holman probably do, too. The AMA Plans service should have plans since they were in the Pond collection.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:13 AM
Strat2003

I built a Ranger from a Klarich short kit for Class A LER a couple of years ago. It's a different, interesting build with a lovely oval all-sheet fuselage. It takes some doing to get the radio gear in, but it can be done. It looked like it would build up tail heavy but didn't, so I ended up adding weight to the tail.

Mine was powered by a Cox Conquest .15. It climbed like a rocket and glided like a cannonball, lol. Part of the problem is that it's not much bigger than a 1/2 A Texaco but must be built to the LER wing loading of 10 ounces/sq. ft. rather than the 1/2 A's 8.

All in all it was a fun airplane to build and fly although not really competitive in the class I built it for.
Old 06-19-2006, 07:24 AM
Strat2003

Here's some pics of mine.........can't believe I didn't fix that piece of loose red covering on the pylon, lol!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93030.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	479734   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75475.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	479735   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx62153.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	479736  
Old 06-19-2006, 10:08 AM
Gill

Thanks All for the prompt replies. I just found several plans in different sizes in the AMA Pond plan service. I liked your pictures Strat2003. Thanks again.