Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

1938 Goldberg Valkyrie Revival

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

1938 Goldberg Valkyrie Revival

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 07:07 PM
Schwing RC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1938 Goldberg Valkyrie Revival

I just downloaded the construction article and plans for Carl Goldberg's 1938 free flight champ.
This is one huge plane with a labor intensive design, built up ribs, multispar wing, stab, and fin, and a fully planked monocoque fuselage. (...and they didn't have CA or CAD!)I've been thinking about doing a modernized version (without changing airfoils or specs) of Goldberg's Valkyrie for.40 to .65 4 stroke power, but figured I would check with the experts first to see if anybody has already beat me to the drafting board. As Goldberg presents the project in his Air Trails article, the drafting and layouts were actually step one of the project, so I doubt if he ever published a plan, but a builder can hope!There's enough work to do in the shop with this model!

Thanks for your interest.

PS-our new website
Old 01-01-2003, 09:40 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Pond used to list the plans for this plane, plans are now owned by AMA. Doubt if they will get them sorted out for a year. Just finished restoring an original Sailplane that the late Don Bentfield(District VII ,VP) gave me years ago.Was built by an unknown in Minneapolis in 1946. All parts cut out of ink printed wood with a broken razor blade, I swear I found blood stains on the ribs! Carl made some vary labor intensive aircraft, but yours topped the list! Lots of luck big max 1935 AMA14958
Old 01-02-2003, 01:08 AM
suman
My Feedback: (16)

Default Valkyrie

Klarich Kits sells a short kit of the Valkyrie, which has full sheet ribs, insted of built-up ribs. I have one of the kits, and it is mind-boggling in size. The original is not for the faint hearted. The wing alone contained over 1200 parts. The advantage was that the 10-foot wingspan airframe weighed less than 4 pounds.

www.klarichkits.com

Suman
Lawrence, KS
Old 01-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Schwing RC

Thanks to both, I'll check these out! We'll post updates at our website when the project comes together.

Checked out the link and the price is certainly reasonable! And by the way Bigmax, the more you bleed on them the better they fly!

Thanks again, for your interest. I've been looking for an "anti-ARF" and I think I've found one for the big bench in this Valkyrie.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:48 PM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TOm:When you get done playing whith this little one, take a look at one called the Giant!! MAX
Old 01-02-2003, 09:13 PM
Mike Denest

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Valkyrie

I have plans up for bid on Ebay right now. They are inked (!) plans and they are in very good, unused shape. I don't have the link handy but go to "Toys and Hobbies" and use "Valkyrie" or "Carl Goldberg" in the search. If you build it you will be my hero! <G>.

Mike