Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Building new Cherokee Babe wing.

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Building new Cherokee Babe wing.

Old 09-03-2006, 06:19 PM
dvint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building new Cherokee Babe wing.

Original wing has much hanger rash from my carelessness -covered in silk and nitrate fokker red. Just finished building a new
wing-the wing tips are a real challenge. Plan to cover the new wing in polyspan and butyrate lemon yellow-probably Brodak.
Plan to use Sig litecoat clear as a basecoat to adhere the polyspan since I already have a 16 oz. can. The polyspan on my
korda wakefield still looks great after more than 5 years.
Old 09-05-2006, 10:53 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Building new Cherokee Babe wing.

That plane was my first 'real' trainer! I think I bought her for something like $13.95 from a new company called Tower - along with a Fox engine.....I rebuilt that plane a couple of times

Good luck with the wing....and if you can share a pic of her, it might bring some tears to my eyes!
Old 09-07-2006, 06:19 PM
aerowoof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Building new Cherokee Babe wing.

I thought the wing tips were an easy part of the wing with no carving and sanding a block of wood.just sheet the wing,then draw the tip outline on the top sheeting and cut to shape ,with the bottom sheeting flush with the tip rip just run a sanding block from top sheeting to bottom sheeting to sand the angle needed to clue on the vertical grain tip sheeting oversize,when try just trim and sand flush with the top and bottom sheeting.