Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Lil' Jumping Bean control line

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Lil' Jumping Bean control line

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 07:13 AM
tango charlie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lil' Jumping Bean control line

Does anyone remember the "Lil' jumping Bean" control line model? When I was a pre-teen in the mid to late 70's, I remember Dad building a little .049 powered model that was one of the things that began my life-long fascination with airplanes. Who kitted it and are there any plans available?
Old 10-10-2006, 07:48 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lil' Jumping Bean control line

I remember it, but didn't have one--I had the Firebaby, Baby Ringmaster, Scientific Fokker Triplane, and many others. Those, and a good flying towline glider, gave me my start. Throw the planes over the barbed wire at the end of the street, climb over, and join the cows and my flying buddy. Those were the days.

The Bean was by Goldberg -- they show up on ebay now and then and I think they go very reasonably.

Jim
Old 10-10-2006, 01:02 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's also available from Brodak Manufacturing.
Old 10-10-2006, 01:53 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well now you can get oneI had mine back in the day it was unique for a 1/2A stunt job with its 'built up wing rather than solid balsa. Built mine in the 1960s and with my limited Ukie experience thought it the best in its class but then there is theand the..[8D]
Old 10-10-2006, 03:30 PM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Well guys, it you cruise over to the 1/2A forum and go under the Carolina 1/2A flyin video we has a video of a Cox .049 Wizard being flown by a few newbies! Boy, on 20 foot lines you do get dizzy!!!

Bob Harris
Old 10-10-2006, 06:51 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gee, I remember the Wizard having some doo-dad that was advertised to allow it to fly on 40 foot lines--a little fin on the outboard wing that moved when the lines went slack, or something. Now don't disillusion me after all these years! Jim
Old 10-10-2006, 08:43 PM
ramcfarland

I was thinking 32" max entered R/C and never checked out a Fox 35 52' stunt ship line Nobler or what ever in that class. I keep th
Old 11-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Carl Goldberg kitted the Li'l Jumpin Bean. The plans show only the wing top view for assembly. There are no views of the fuselage, rudder or stab, as Goldbergs kits from those days were keyed together, not built on the plans.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think I've got a lil' jumping bean up in my attic... picked it up a few years back on ebay. I haven't flown any c/l for a while, the boys haven't had much interest - too interested in girls, etc.

Thanks for the reminder, though - it's a cute little 1/2A c/l plane!
Old 11-08-2006, 10:34 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

Gee, I remember the Wizard having some doo-dad that was advertised to allow it to fly on 40 foot lines--a little fin on the outboard wing that moved when the lines went slack, or something. Now don't disillusion me after all these years! Jim
As I remember, it was just a lot of tip weight! My first CL job, the Wizard.
Had them all, the CG ones. Great models. Lil Toot, Jumping Bean....
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 PM
ramcfarland

bit Off the topic but recieved the new "BRODACK C/L Magazine." [sm=red_smile.gif]
Old 01-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Thumprding

Back in the 70's I had one. Fast little thing with a Cox .049. I also had the wizard, it had a big chunk of lead for the wing tip and a good sized rudder.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:39 PM
culver

A friend has one that he and his son fly with a black widow on it. Goes like stink, anyone for a bean race.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Vandolay

ORIGINAL: buzzard bait

The Lil Wizard boasted 52 foot lines as a possibility, and it worked fine. The outboard tip had a real heavy weight. There was a good bit of right rudder. The unique feature was that an elastic band held the elevator at about 10 degrees up elevator. If the lines were tight then the elastic did not interfere with normal control as the taughtness of the line overcame the strength of the band. However, if control was lost due to slack lines the built in "Up elevator feature" combined with the tip weight and rudder offset did a most effectie job of flying the model back to the outside of the circle were control was regained by having the lines return to taught. This really did work in most cases. The long lines decreased the rate of turn of the flyer thus reducing the dizzy factor. The Lil Wizard had a flat bottomed airfoil shaped solid wing with good lift.

They are meant as a trainer but if you can fly, they are a real ball to have on those long lines way out there. Loops are fun. Think ahead. The lines will be in a big bow from the drag while stunting.

I have one here brand new ready to go to teach my wife to fly.

Great fun from such a little model.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:44 PM
BWooster

I got a Lil Jumpin Bean for my 10th birthday in 1974. It was my first non-rubber flying kit build. Finished it in Curtis Blue (Pactra, I believe) Earlier that year I had been given a Stuntman and a Little Toot, both of which were already built. (I remember a friend's dad asked if I got the Little Toot after the Lil Jumpin' Bean )

I may still have the plans -- way in the bottom of the plan box.