Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Top Flite Taurus

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 07:59 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Taurus

Let us know how it goes, and keep the pics coming! Looks good so far! I've got planes with wingspans the size of that elevator!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:44 AM
Taurus Flyer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

'Hello Carl.
Here is you exhaust modification. All the parts are glued with two component epoxy, liquid metal quality. The glue has to be resistant against temperatures higher than 158 degrees F (70 C). The color is dark grey after mixing. I do use Pattex, but there are others.
The glue is hard as glass after hardening.
The exhaust is build up from alu 'folie' sheet. alu pipe. and a alu can (spray). see the picture.
The central pipe is closed in the middle over a length of about 0.5 inch with a combinations of alu 'folie' and the two component epoxy. Make some dips in the pipe on the place where you want to close the tube.
With two pieces of cylindrical metal (drills?) one on the workbench the other from above you can force the material in place to close the middle.
Before and after this point you have to drill a lot of little holes. the total surface of the holes should be about 100 % at the inlet side and 75 % at the outlet side of the inner surface of the pipe.
The outside diameter of the pipe is a little more than the inside diameter of the exhaust port of the muffler. I did take away some material so I could glue and press the pipe in the muffler. Use a heavy surface to set the front side of the muffler on and use a hammer to press the pipe in the muffler.
After this is done. we have to prepare the can.
Draw a line on the can on the place where the diameter is a lither less than the diameter of the muffler. Be sure its empty and remove the top with a saw. Now hold the can with both hands and force it over the neck of a (chateau neufe du pape 1962). wine bottle or other smoot conical element. You can drink the wine after the job is finished.
You can force the inner diameter of the top of the can so you keep material on the place where we later glue the can over the muffler. Also make a hole in the bottom of the can by force it from inside out with a conical element after drilling a hole a litte smaller than the outside diameter of the central pipe.
With a cylindrical piece of wood you can force the bottom out to make the outlet loot better. see the picture. The central part of the bottom has to be flat so the pipe can change in length by the outlet gas temperature.
After this. make all surface raw for good bounding. and do the epoxy on every surface that has to be connected. Then press the can over the central pipe and muffler. When its good prepared you have to use som force because there has to be less or no space between the parts. Put the muffler in the electrical grill/heater at 140 degrees F (60 C) and drink the wine.
After this (try to) drill a very little hole (<1/16" ) in the lowest point of the can to let the condensed oil out when the motor runs.
Succes Taurus Flyer.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66518.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	33.0 KB
ID:	124420   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up48814.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	124421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57448.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	124422  
Old 04-20-2004, 08:55 AM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Jim,
This sounds like an awesome project! From what you have gotten done so far, sounds like you really move after you decide what it is that you are going to do. You will probably save a lot of weight by making it a tail dragger, even though with a Q42 that probably won't matter much. Good luck with it and keep us posted, we are all interested.
That wing must be 4 inches thick at the root!
Fly low and Fast,
Spud8939
Old 04-20-2004, 12:21 PM
Carson
My Feedback: (43)

Taurus Flier: Thank you very much for the information on the muffler. I would imagain that
the output db would be very low as this sounds like a very effective combination for an after-muffler. It appears that the "can" is something similar to a butane lighter fluid can, anyway I cna find something similar that will suffice. I belive that the cement is similar to JB Weld which is
readily available here and is heat resistant, the good wine may be a little more difficult .
I thank you again for the thorough instructions.

Jim: Sounds like you are really a mover and shaker when you start a project. By the way on the last couple of Taurus' I have scratched I have extended the nose moment by 1" to compensate for the long tail moment and it worked great. Will you have plans for the "Great Taurus" when it is completed", hope so. I have a NIB Zenoah G-45 which I calculate would
be satisfactory. Keep us updated.

Regards,
Carl
Old 07-02-2004, 05:51 PM
sidgates
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I built a Tarus in the late '60s and lost the vertical fin on the first flight due to flutter. Managed to get in on the ground in one piece and since I never liked the original verticle and modified it per picture attached.

I have been interested in building a large one too.
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Jim Messer

Just an update on the big Taurus. Wings are completed, covered, and painted. Same for the elevator and rudder. I am on vacation in NY at the present time, also just returned from a three week vacation in Colorado, so the fuselage won't get started until August.
Old 07-17-2004, 02:18 PM
pt19 flyer
My Feedback: (1)

hi

how can joe grasso be contacted about the taurus? does he have e-mail address?

happy flying

pt19 flyer
Old 07-17-2004, 02:39 PM
spud8939

Hi,
Here you go---I have one of his kits--much nicer than the original. They go for about $179.00 if I remember, pricey, but they are made one by one by hand
Joe Grasso
address is 8 Quiet Forrest Lane
Sylva, NC 28779-8690
phone # 828.631.3693
email [email protected]
Hope this helps,
spud8939
Old 07-20-2004, 11:02 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

pt19 flyer

I replied to your PM but it shows unread? if you need the address again let Me know and I will re-send.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite Taurus-Enlarged Version

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from swampy, rainy Florida.

I've been reading with great interest all the preceeding Taurus information. When I first got into RC a way back in '68-69, I purchased a set of plans from RCM for a big, beautiful 92" ws design called the OMEN II, for 60>80 power [at that time], published in RCM 12.68 issue, plan #380. I never built it, and traded the plans. However, several of the 'old timers'' at that time said that the OMEN was simply an enlargement of the fine flying Taurus. I don't know, just remember the discussion at the time; does anyone else know of the OMEN II and its relation to the Taurus.

RCM still lists the plan for sale, and it is one beautiful looking looking ship for sure, hmmm, makes one think...Best regards to all from the Gulf Coast of Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 07-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Jim Messer

I don't know anything about the OMEN II. Never heard of it. Have you any pictures to post?
Old 07-21-2004, 05:36 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Pretty Airplane.
Hope this picture link works.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/media/pl-380.jpg
Old 07-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Jim Messer

The link works, but it looks to me like a standard size Taurus with a modified fuselage. Could that be?
Old 07-22-2004, 01:30 PM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

I don't know anything about it. Just found a picture in the plans catelog and linked it here. Awfully big.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:28 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow does that bring back memories!
I have a Sultan at home. It belonged to my dad and he never flew it. Guess what it had?
Bonner!
No, I'm not going to even attempt to fly it... I'm not that good yet.
mightyhorn
Old 09-30-2004, 10:12 PM
cquartuccio

ORIGINAL: Saturn

I have redrawn the Taurus in CAD and updated the building methods. I have a short kit available with plans and laser cut ribs, formers, tailfeathers, and a preshaped top deck if anyone is interested. Many have been built, just sent 10 to Japan.

Lance
30 Sept. 2004

Lance:

Please send me info on your Taurus kits.

Thanx,

Charlie Quartuccio, [email protected]
Old 09-30-2004, 10:47 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember the Omen in RCM, got the issue in a box (got all RCM issues before 1970). It was designed to use two 40 engines tied (geared?) together, one cylinder out of both sides of the fuselage. There were not any BIG engines at the time.

Ed Kazmirski also designed and built a very large version of the Taurus that would have been around 8 foot wingspan. It was pictured on the back cover of RCM around 65 or 66. As far as I know, no one has plans for it or even knows it's name. With todays engines either one would be a great flier.
Old 10-01-2004, 03:55 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I remember the Omen in RCM, got the issue in a box (got all RCM issues before 1970). It was designed to use two 40 engines tied (geared?) together, one cylinder out of both sides of the fuselage. There were not any BIG engines at the time.

Ed Kazmirski also designed and built a very large version of the Taurus that would have been around 8 foot wingspan. It was pictured on the back cover of RCM around 65 or 66. As far as I know, no one has plans for it or even knows it's name. With todays engines either one would be a great flier.
The plane you are referring to is the Simla and is on the back cover of RCM for August 1965. I uploaded the picture, but I don't know where it went! Whoops it made it!

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77324.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	178421  
Old 10-01-2004, 09:31 AM
spud8939

Now if we could only get a set of plans for it---!!!
Spud 8939
Old 10-01-2004, 04:13 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: spud8939

Now if we could only get a set of plans for it---!!!
Spud 8939
IIRC, some sources have said Ed Kazmirski is still with us and living somewhere around Chicago. I believe he would be in his 80's now. Does anyone have any clues or connections that they could find out if he had plans for the Simla?
Old 12-08-2004, 08:38 AM
gazariator

Lance. Do you still have the plans/short kits available for the Top Flite Taurus? Is your price still $80?
Old 12-11-2004, 12:17 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow--bet the Simla looked majestic in a slow roll. Never heard of it before.
Old 12-23-2004, 04:02 PM
pt19 flyer

HI

there are plans available for this model but they do not contain rib pattern. as you probably know this had a special airfoil and without this it would not have the characteristic flight pattern. I have search extensively for these plans to no avail. you could build the fuselage from the plans from top and side views to get the former sizes and configuration, and use some other wing platform but it would not fly like a taurus. there was plans published in rc modeler I believe on one that the designer claims has the characteristics of the taurus but better. it was commonly known as "The Old Fart" or the "Southern Eagle". this is supposedly a very good flyer.

check it out

happy flying

pt19 flyer
t
Old 12-30-2004, 11:34 AM
spud8939

Hello all,
I actually tracked Ed K down and discussed the "Simla" with him. As it turns out, the Simla was a "one off" design that he never pursued beyond the first prototype.
He said that he got wrapped up in his other business, and after moving several
times, lost the drawings he had made of it. He said it had a lot of differences in
it as compared to the Taurus, so it wasn't just a scale up, even though that's what
it looks like. I told him how much we all enjoyed, and continue to do so to this day, what he did in the modelling community. He seemed real pleased to hear that. I promised him that I would keep his address to myself so he is not troubled by a deluge of contacts. I'm going to send him a packet of stuff showing how much interest there is in his designs, even today.
Happy New Year to all,
Spud 8939
Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 AM
spud8939

Regarding the Taurus kit by Top Flite--In the later runs of kits, and also possibly in an article in one of the magazines, there was a sheet or information on how Ed said to modify the basic Taurus for use with proportional radios. Does anyone have a copy of this that I could get from you? I am more than happy to pay copy costs and mailing, or it could be emailed to me at : [email protected] Thanks for your help,
Sam

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.