Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Top Flite Taurus

Old 01-16-2003, 02:39 PM
joefox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite Taurus

Looking for any source of information on the Top Flite Taurus of 1960's. I'm just getting back into R/C after a LONG layoff. The Taurus was my first pattern ship and I would love to build it again. I even have an Enya 60 to power it! Any info on plans or kits still laying around would be very appreciated. Thanks!

Joe Fox
Old 01-16-2003, 07:29 PM
jaof

Default Taurus

Hi

Please check http://members.tripod.com/~TomDixon/plans4.htm

Taurus plans as well as some other plans of the vintage era are available.
I have had a Taurus for the past 10 years and it sure is one neat plane and it's powered with a ST 51.

Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2003, 09:20 PM
joefox

Default Top Flite Taurus

jaof

Thanks a bunch. Just printed out the order form and it'll be in the mail tomorrow. I'm sure it'll be a challenge scratch building from kit plans, but the plane is worth the effort. Again, thanks a lot.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:32 PM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Top Flite Taurus

Here is a photo of my old Taurus which I flew on Oribt 12 channel reeds. If you have never flown reeds, you are very lucky. But - the Taurus was at the time my favorite airplane.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	48254_3061.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	29583  
Old 01-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Jim Messer

Default Top Flite Taurus

I still have the Model Airplane News magazine that first reviewed the Taurus, designed by Ed Kazmirski, January 1963. Attached is a photo of the cover. Enjoy.
Attached Images  
Old 01-19-2003, 04:38 AM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Default Top Flite Taurus

Taurus plans?

I just received verifacation from a friend, He has Taurus plans with all the formers ribs etc. on them. If You are interested send Me a PM and I will give you the details.

Thank's; Dan Z.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:32 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Default Top Flite Taurus

Just found a fellow the other day who will cut a Taurus Kit for you for a very good price. I haven't ordered one yet, but from those who know this guy, he does an excellent job. He sent me his price list, and the prices are VERY Good! PM me for more information! Or, If you want, I've got a set of both the TopFlite and the Original Taurus plans.....

Good Luck!
Dennis
Old 02-05-2003, 05:33 AM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Default tarus builder

I was reading the posts and saw my old instructor on here,,hi jim!! it was a long long time ago but you started me in the hobby down on the old field owned by the dentist..you likely dont remember me but my name is dennis..I had a trusty falcon 56..one anadocetal story my wife was pregant back in 75 and would come to the field with me everyone was wonderful to her..she remembered one member made clam chowder he hated it but the club loved it .your brother god bless was a maverick ..i remember he would fly upside down almost clipping a fence ..it was a what the good professor called abortion scale.. and I was there when they nicknamed a member steamroller..seems he slammed into a old field rooler that day..I have nothing but fond memories of that field..I remeber jim you had webra 60's in tandem the roots of quarter scale as we built the pups..and who would ever believe how successful the flyin in iscuha became.. nice to see you here..and I do fly !!really...
Old 02-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Mike Denest
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Taurus Stories

Back then there wasn't a day that someone didn't have a Taurus at the field. Since getting involved with vintage models and VR/CS, I've managed to acquire an original Taurus built from the MAN plans, a never flown Taurus built in the 1960's and a Hartman Zeus glass fuselage. Sorry fellas, I'm taking them with me to the next life

Interesting thing about the plans Taurus; at some point it was converted to C/L. :spinnyeye I removed the ukie stuff and am converting it back to its natural element.

Mike
Old 02-06-2003, 12:13 AM
Jim Messer

Default Top Flite Taurus

To Dennis: Many thanks for your interesting post. I have racked my brain, and decided that you are either Dennis Bradley, or another Dennis that lived in Little Valley. Which one? The things you mention are for real: my brother Bill could fly inverted full speed with his P39 a foot off the ground. That's how he got his nickname "Inverted - Including His Brains". The guy that we called "Steamroller" was Charlie Hildebrand. You're right - he crashed his model into the old steamroller we had to roll the field down. The guy that made the clam chowder, I believe, was Woody Clapp. He also owned the field. Also, Charlie Nellis made clam chowder, but he liked it. The good professor was George Privateer and he called Bill's and my P39's "abortion scale". Yes, it was 1975 when I designed the Bristol Scout with the two geared together Webra Speed 61's for power. This was the absolute beginning of giant scale as we know it today. Dennis - you have a good memory, and it is nice to talk to you once again.
Of course, I am still into modeling big time. I don't teach people to fly anymore - rather I teach them to build. Please respond.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:17 PM
cloudancer03
My Feedback: (22)

Default machias

hi jim,,

actually I lived in machias and served as the administrator of the cattaragus county home both in machias and olean..I didnt realize it was woody that made the chowder..I do remember george very well..I think he nicknamed charlies wife "prunella"..amazing I can remember that ..when you instructed me I learned on single sticks as i believe thats what you had at the time..I also remember your vk cherokee..it was a hot ship..it was george as I recall who loved to build the ww1 scale ..and I was there helping in the early days of the july meets..I had nothing but fond memories of that field..you mentioned names I nearly forgot..sadly I remember the plane crash that took the life away from an avivd fan of avivation ..in fact I remember woody's wife complaining about the wings he built for the 3 quarter scales in the house..

I fly alot again ..I had to stop for nearly 8 years as diabetes screwed up my eyesight..unfortnuately I didnt realize I was a diabetic until having experienced a mid air crash,,but the good side is its well under control and I regained my skills and to this day jim I remember how patient you were with me and everyone else you are a true gentleman and i appreciate very much teaching me to enjoy the hobby..my only problem is that I also love golf..so when I retire in a couple of years I plan to golf mornings and fly afternoons..as the saying goes it dont get much better than that!
Old 02-15-2003, 09:13 PM
Saturn

Default Top Flite Taurus

I have redrawn the Taurus in CAD and updated the building methods. I have a short kit available with plans and laser cut ribs, formers, tailfeathers, and a preshaped top deck if anyone is interested. Many have been built, just sent 10 to Japan.

Lance
Old 02-18-2003, 01:30 AM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

Default Top Flite Taurus

Originally posted by Saturn
I have redrawn the Taurus in CAD and updated the building methods. I have a short kit available with plans and laser cut ribs, formers, tailfeathers, and a preshaped top deck if anyone is interested. Many have been built, just sent 10 to Japan.

Lance
Lance how much for the short kit?
Old 02-18-2003, 10:43 PM
Saturn

Default Top Flite Taurus

Thanks for asking, $80 shipped in the lower 48.

Thanks for your interest,
Lance
Old 02-18-2003, 11:41 PM
Saturn

Default Top Flite Taurus

Thanks for asking, $80 shipped in the lower 48.

Thanks for your interest,
Lance
Old 09-01-2003, 12:09 PM
mrgman57

Default Top Flite Taurus

i just found a taurus at a flemarket for 50.00 with a max os 49 from 1961 it flys better then most plans ive flown
Old 09-04-2003, 10:54 PM
Mikev

Default Tarus

Well I see you have plenty of help for plans etc. I have a couple of friends who had a Tarus as one of their first planes. I recently bought a friend a kit off of E Bay as a birthday present for helping me with my computer. Then he bought the short kit from the one mentioned above before I gave him the kit. I recently acquired a built up one ready to fly with a veco 51 in it. Picture enclosed. Seems like everyone loved the Tarus. I also have a Kazmerski Orion, silk and doped with a modern Futaba radio in it. No one every mentions the Orion much. Good luck on getting the plans for the Tarus.
MikeV
Old 09-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Mikev

Default Tarus

Trying to send pics of Tarus and Orion. Maybe this time. If any of you want a picture send me an e mail.
MikeV

Name:	107465_115.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	29585  
Old 09-05-2003, 01:27 AM
Mikev

Default Tarus and Orion

Well here goes again trying to put my pictures out there for you all of my Orion and Tarus done in Joe Bridi color scheme.
Mike V

Name:	107509_115.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	29586  
Old 09-05-2003, 01:31 AM
Mikev

Default Top Flite Taurus

Now one of the Orion which is silk and doped with a magnum 45 for a motor. Also I used my Futaba 7 for the radio and not reeds like in the good old days.
Mikev

Name:	107511_115.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	29587  
Old 04-01-2004, 07:58 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Top Flite Taurus

Anybody wants one, contact Joe Grasso at his email address: [email protected] or 828- 631-3693
I just got one of his Taurus kits and it is BEAUTIFUL!!!! You can't go wrong--a great kit of what in my opinion is the best flying R/C model I have ever had--
Good luck,
spud8939
Old 04-01-2004, 10:49 PM
Jim Messer

I flew the Orion before the Taurus. Attached is a photo of my Orion in foreground, and two Taurus's - also the deBolt Acrobat - the second one made. Harold designed the first one, and I couldn't go the flat wings at the time, so I added dihedral to mine. All were flown on reeds.

Name:	Yw67382.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	117729  
Old 04-01-2004, 11:19 PM
spud8939
My Feedback: (4)

Jim,
Great picture---when was this? I tried reeds for a while and never got good at it, didn't seem natural. This was about the time Sampey came out with the first proportional radio, so I figured all my gear would be obsolete when I got out of the Air Force, (joined in 1962).
So I got rid of all of it when I was about to sign up. Had a Taurus in about 69 and flew it for quite a while. I remember how much I liked it then, with a Sid Gates Royal radio and a Veco .61 --so I'm in the process of building another one now. thanks for the pic,
spud8939
Old 04-02-2004, 11:06 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I second Spud8939's recommendation. I also have just received a Taurus kit from Joe Grasso. The way he makes a kit is fantastic. He provides parts already cut that the original kit required you to cut yourself. His prices are reasonable. The plans are very good, he suggest changes for modern engines and gives you the Jan. '63 article from MAN about the Taurus. He' made Esquire and Taurus for me and they both are great.

Rich
Old 04-02-2004, 03:54 PM
Jim Messer

Picture was taken in 1965. That was 39 years ago! Hard to believe, but true.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.