Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

need plans set for berkely cessna 170

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

need plans set for berkely cessna 170

Old 10-19-2006, 07:16 AM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need plans set for berkely cessna 170

im having a old berkley cessna 170 restored and would love a original plan set to frame as display with it anyone have these for sale? must be original thanks guys will be posting when shes finished and flying pics as well
Old 10-19-2006, 07:28 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: need plans set for berkely cessna 170

Go to the AMA web site and click on plans. They have the entire John Pond plan collection and the berkley/Sig Cessna 170 is listed.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:29 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Which size of a Berkeley 170? There were three sizes/versions over the years. You have the big 72 inch span version?

And, don't get your hopes up with the A.M.A. for original plan was on offset paper. A.M.A. can currently only do 36 inch (minus margin) and exceeds the size for printing. The smaller size A/C were on smaller offset paper, and are thus less than 36 inches wide.

Thus you will get one from them in two halfs.

Wm.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:59 PM
p-47 razorback pilot
My Feedback: (5)

im sorry yes i have the big berkley really turning out nice pics to soon follow as well as flight clip
Old 10-19-2006, 11:18 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Well, the original plan as you will find has a few duplicate parts numbers, but that is offset by the omission of certain others. There is on occasion too a few places in which the builder is expected to laminate wood to a certain thickness, 'cept when laminating it still isn't thick enough to match the plan. Thus you get a few lumps and bumps in the skin surface. Several years back I just re-drew the whole plan and corrected these items.

Wm.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:45 AM
K_Biker_Bill

Well P-47D Pilot... I can't help with the plans you want, but I sure will enjoy seeing the photos you plan to post. I was about 15 yrs old in the late 1950's and a member of the Savannah Propbusters, where I was mostly a U-Controller. Sometimes though, fellow members Sgt. Swindell, Mr. Al Martino and my pal Billy Boone and I would all get together and ride out in the 'country' to a favorite pasture. Once there, we would let our free flight models soar high.

Billy and I were partial to a Model called the Fubar-36. They were cheap, built easily and flew well with a OK Cub .049 engine. The older guys flew better stuff, and so a finely-built big Cessna from Berkeley was brought out one day by Mr. Martino, who had worked on it for months in the little storage room at the end of his carport. With an O & R .23 humming away, it was all Al could do to hand launch it without having it immediately descend to the ground and land. Like many of the Berkeley kits, it was a little on the hefty side weight-wise. After that initial sag toward the ground though, it was a beautiful thing to watch as it did a majestic spiral climb and descent. He had optomistically installed a fuel cut-off timer as he built it, but that proved completely unnecessary. It would run its entire tank out and still be only a couple of hundred feet above us. With its big Trexler wheels it usually made a nice landing in the rough pasture, but not always. Al quickly found the aluminum gear legs furnished with the kit to be too soft and very prone to bending. Much as he hated to, an accident involving my father's car forced him to replace them with better material, a massive job.

After hearing me talk about it so much, my father rode out one Saturday afternoon to watch. A few minutes later we all stood dumfounded as the airplane glided right into the center of the rear window on his new Chevrolet. The small aluminum spinner promptly shattered the glass into a million fragments. The Cessna's wing was held in place by rubber bands and so flew off safely, but the gear had been bent like a pretzel for the last time. Eventually the airplane had a fatal crash of course, and I was the proud recipient of the wreckage, laboriously repairing it to 'somewhat' like new, but certainly unflyable condition (as it then weighed even more).

I promptly built Berkeley's nice little DeHavilland Beaver, paying just $4.95 for the kit at Mr. Getchell's Hobby Shop. I hadn't counted on a few pennies in tax being due, but my mother came to the rescue. For that princely sum the kit included a spun-aluminum cowl, way too-thin landing gear legs, thick rubber tires and worse, heavy balsa throughout. On its maiden flight it promptly descended to the ground about 30 feet in front of me and cartwheeled it's way to destruction.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:33 AM
tommy moore

I have an original in the box Berkely Cessna 170 kit. When I was a youngster in Rocky River, Ohio I tried assembling another kit, but it was over my head at the time and I gave it to a school yard acqaintance who took it home. But somehow pieces of the fuselage ended up in the Junior High School woodshop on a dusty shelf that I found several years later while attending that school. I surmised that Richard Wilbur busted it up on the way home. I was ashamed because my friends' Dad (they moved to Charlotte, NC) gave it to me to finish. A few years ago I acquired a kit on ebay and have been wanting to find Robert Hatfield and give it as a gift. I remember several duplicate parts listings in the plans and some parts that were not listed and I was stumped. Sure wish I could find a plan set that had the errors corrected so I can build it now. Tommy Moore any help too?

The plan omissions stumped me at the time.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 PM
tommy moore

I posted a note below. Any chance you still have corrections to the berkely cessna 170 plans?

my e-mail is [email protected] and phone is 603-466-5776

hope to hear from you. tom moore
Old 03-15-2007, 07:11 AM
K_Biker_Bill

Big Boy, I thought you might like to see a C-170 being launched by Bonner "Long Legs" Hall in April of 1959. He had intermittent rudder and throttle control using a Citizenship radio. Maybe this will inspire you to get the photos you've promised posted on here a little sooner.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81531.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	642533  
Old 03-28-2007, 02:07 PM
RareByrd
My Feedback: (74)

I'm trying to ID this plane. Is it the Berkley 170?

[link]http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=663585#post7174505[/link]
Old 03-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Skinny Bob
My Feedback: (12)

Bye

Bob