Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

INFO ON CASHBURN'S LUCKYFLY

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

INFO ON CASHBURN'S LUCKYFLY

Old 01-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Ronluft

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default INFO ON CASHBURN'S LUCKYFLY

Hi

I am new to this forum but have been in modeling for over 35 years. I am looking for any info on a plane i used to own in the 80's called Cashburn's Luckyfly. Would love to build and fly this plane again. So any info pointing me in that direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ron
Old 01-07-2007, 10:00 PM
cyke

Default RE: INFO ON CASHBURN'S LUCKYFLY

The R/C Modeler magazine index lists a product review of the Lucky Fly in the Dec 1983 issue-

Johnny Casburn Models: Super Lucky Fli II - 12/83 (42)
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you checked the AMA plans list?
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didn't JC Models also make an airplane called the "Sweeper" that had a highly swept wing, designed for fun flys?
Old 01-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Hi Highplains;

Greetings from Arizona.

I have been looking for a JC Lucky Fly kit for some time without success, and your mention of the SWEEPER kit by JC propted me to respond, in that, I purchased one from rite here within the RCU Classifieds about 6 mos. ago. the SWEEPEr has a highly swept wing, no taper, along the lines of RCMs HOOKER design by the late CHuck Cunningham, the Blue Max II in Model Aviation and of course the the old VK MACH I. An interesting feature of the kit is that it came with foam wing cores and the covering material.....very thin aluminum sheets, I have never seen wings covered with al. before. ALso the kit is of very high quality, which I have heard was typical of JC kits.

I'm still looking for the Lucky Fly, but thought I would trow in my 2 cents worth on the SWEEPER, best regards from Phoenix.

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:07 PM
HighPlains

Hmm, odd you should mention the VK Mach 1, since I have that kit. I had forgotten about the metal covered wings of the Sweeper.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:26 PM
gwinhh

If I remember right, the LUCKY FLY was one of the early semi-arfs. framed up fuselage, firewall and formers with styrofoam turtledeck and balsa sheeted wings, sheet tail surfaces.

I built one back in the mid-80's as my first large (.60 size) airplane, powered it with a Fox 60. It flew OK but not very long, according to my log-book. The simple fact is, I just wasn't ready for a plane like that...I flew it only 5 times and sold it.

Casburn's passed away and the company is also gone. I THINK he was from the Dallas area, but am not sure.

howell
Old 02-01-2007, 04:19 PM
n0irw

You're right, the Lucky Fly was an early almost-ready-to-finish......i have owned 2 in my day and wowuld like to find another one....Johnny was from Ft. Worth, TX, I knew him very well, my dad used to chase free flights for him in the dark ages. Johnny was a modelers modeler, he was happiest when he was building, talking or flying model airplanes. He was a real gentleman as well.....I miss his gruff humor.

Kevin O'Dell
Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM
dannorman

I purchased a JC Super Lucky Fli in 1983 built it all and model was put away in closet. I have now just about have it ready to fly and it is one nice looking plane. I do have the plans and construction book I could provide copies. And you are correct the wings came pre covered in ply and the fuse was framed up with the turtle decking also covered in ply. Good luck in your quest to find one.e-mail address [email protected]
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 PM
pgilbert
My Feedback: (38)

Highplains,
I remember seeing the VK Mach 1 fly as a kid and have been looking for one ever since. Would it be possible to have you copy the plans at KInko's? I'll gladly pay for the pleasure of owning a copy. I'd love to scratch build one.

Phil
Old 10-03-2007, 09:59 PM
HighPlains

I'd be happy to make you a copy, but it may take a while since I live a very long way from the nearest Kinko's. I think the nearest one is just under 4 hours away. Seems like I live directly between two of them, 4 hours either way (by freeway). I might be around one by Thanksgiving or so. Drop me a line and we can set it up.

very long way
I meant very, very long way
Old 01-25-2008, 05:12 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Interestingly enough, there is a beautiful Johnny Casburn Lucky Fly II model (.40 size version) that was recently hung up to sell in JT Hobby Shop in west Fort Worth.

Johnny Casburn was a really great guy...used to have a hobby shop at his factory in east Fort Worth in the mid 1970s.

Back in the 1970s, I actually bought the first prototype LFX I (the Lucky Fly Experimental) from Gail Helms, Steve Helms's dad. This was a Lucky Fly with an airfoiled stab and some mods to make it a better pattern aircraft. I has crashed my Kaos and my Phoenix 7 was not yet complete and I needed something to fly. Flew it in novice at the 1976 Nats in Dayton, Ohio.

I also flew a .60 Lucky Fly II for sport in the late 1970s......nice flying models, all of them
Old 01-25-2008, 08:13 PM
Joe Nagy

Hi Ron;

Greetings to U from the dangerously Thong infested beaches of Manasota Key,Englewood, Florida.

I too have wanted a JC Lucky Fly, and finally obtained same only a few weeks ago; found a mint kit for sale within eBay....and nailed it!! Like a few others contributed above, the kit is semi built, with foam wings, and of very high quality. I cannot remember if there were actual building plans or not; [my kit is in Arizona, and I have just flown over to Florida, and R my arms ever tired...a tiny bit fo humour therewith].

I would suggest that you keep watching eBay, and kits for sale rite here in RCU, + enter your requests into their Search Engines.....whatever it is, will show up for sale sooner or later, just be patient, and ready to buy when the time comes. WIll close for now, best regards from Florida,

Joe Nagy.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM
Harry-RCU
My Feedback: (8)

I recently picked up a new in box J Cashburn LFX-II. Everything was there except the plans. Anyone have a copy?
Thanks, Harry
Old 10-25-2009, 07:38 PM
PLANE JIM
My Feedback: (109)

I just recently recieved all the jigs, patterns and templates as well as a bunch of wing cores from a guy-these all were from Johnnie Casburn=lucky fly, luck fly II, the minnette,
King Lucky Fly, Texan 60 and JC Lucky, and I am thinking about rekitting them as well. I really fo not know if there is a market for them ?
Old 10-26-2009, 04:46 AM
RFJ

The R/C Modeler magazine index lists a product review of the Lucky Fly in the Dec 1983 issue
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44182.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	1302140   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96153.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	386.2 KB
ID:	1302141   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk18033.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	1302142  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:04 PM
jfuller
My Feedback: (8)

Hi,
I just picked up a Cashburn Cap 21 kit. From the descriptions that I have been reading on this thread It is very similar to the lucky fly
the fuse is partly assembled and the wing is balsa covered. I am a little concerned about the wings. I wonder what he used to glue the balsa to the foam and if it is still stuck? Nice kit, well thought out.

Jamesf
Old 11-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Ed Couch

Johnny used a green thin contact cement which he also sold seperately if one wanted it. It was brushed on to the core and let dry. He normally wrapped a wing panel in one piece. I noticed no one mentioned that most of his wings were covered in a fine textured cardboard. Johnny was a hoot to be around and a great guy. It was a sad day when John passed. I have several finds who still drag down an old Lucky Fly and spend the afternoon playing with them. They all flew well and were extremely stout and easy to repair. Days gone by! ed
Old 11-29-2009, 03:36 AM
bushpilot-RCU

Hello to everyone, I have a NIB Little Superlucky fly ( the 40 size ) for sale , lmk if you are interested.

Geoff
Old 01-02-2012, 08:41 AM
sehlers

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Jim ,

I sent an email already to you ,don't know if you got it . I have a friend in our Club , The Fort Worth Thunderbirds ,that used to have a .40 size a year ago that was lost .
I too had a .40 size in the early 70's and a .60 size when I got back to R/C in 1993 .He Really wants another and we have told him a .60 size would be better for SPA that he wants to fly it for .
I have the plans , and a tip template and build notes .We are friends with the person that still has the un-flown Toledo Show Demo plane that some measurements have been made off of ,
since the plans are not complete . Do you still have some of the parts you mentioned in this old post ?? Please let me know ,and send me an email if you can .
Thanks ,
Steve

Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM
maukaonyx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was a great plane. I had the Little Super Lucky Fly...the 40 size version. As I recall mine was originally about 57"ws and I cut it down a couple inches each side because I felt my old K&B .40 would underpower it, especially in Denver. So I chopped it. The pic shows a Royal .40 in it because I ran the K&B till it died forever. Sorry about the wacky onion muffler on it, but when I moved and flew in Beaverton, OR, the club had noise rules and mine was too noisy on the stock muffler. The wing has 1/64" ply sheeting. It is heavy but real darn TOUGH! Never gets dings, haha. It's retired now because that plane maidened before my 2nd son was born in 1982, so it is coming up on 30 years old! He and his older brother forbade me from flying it anymore because they like it hanging in my garage like in the pics, forever, lol. That plane really flew well and I learned a lot about what I call sport pattern flying. Oh, I modded the tail feathers to my liking, so that makes it look different than stock. It was an ARC, almost ready to cover. I covered the flight surfaces in Monokote, and used light FG cloth and fiberglassed the fuse then painted it with K&B Superpoxy. Jon

PS: Sorry, I don't know how guys make those thumbnails!
Old 01-03-2012, 11:20 AM
ratshooter

Its good to see Johnny Cashburn remembered.I used to live about 2 miles from his shop. I bought my first real RC plane and first radio from Johnny. The radio was a Kraft 4 channel. He and his wife were very nice people. I found one of the JC trainers new in the box on ebay a couple of years ago and still fly it. If I remeber correctly Jonnies Lucky Fly had a Devils Claw seed pod for a pilot. Its looks like an alien from another planet.

My JC trainer did have a full sized plan in it. I saved it just in case I want to scratch one out with a built up wing someday. Here are a couple of pics of my JC trainer.

Name:	Nl29465.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	1709172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28323.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1709173  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 AM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

I had a Johnny cashburn Lucky Fly. Flew it from 91-02, then sold it. It might still be around. The OS Max 40FPs were about run out. I had kit bashed it into the Continental Express. It was a hoot to fly.

Name:	Om33385.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	1709184  
Old 01-03-2012, 11:47 AM
ratshooter

PilotFighter thats cool. Maybe someday I will make a Twin Otter out of my JC Trainer.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM
kenworthbob

The lucky fly 11 I had in the 70s was a fantastic flying plane. I had a blast with mine! I had a Webra speed 61 in it. Let me know if you start selling the kit. Thanks. [email protected].

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.