Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Midwest Das Little Stik

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Midwest Das Little Stik

Old 06-03-2007, 09:36 AM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Midwest Das Little Stik

Has anyone picked up one of the cloned "bipe sticks" on ebay? If so, how does (or did) it fly?
Old 06-03-2007, 10:07 AM
KurtS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't remember if the ones I had way back when came with balsa or spruce spars. I want to say they were spruce main spars and balsa sub-spars but they were definitely two piece, joined at the center section, and you glass clothed that joint for strength. I bought 48" spruce for the main and sub spars, as well as 48" balsa for the leading and trailing edges and sheeting. It's a one-piece wing. I also added 3/32 vertical grain shear webs the length of the structure and with all this figure I don't need to glass it. I modified it to have a bolt-on wing, one in front and two at the back. My curiosity is whether or not one nylon bolt at the front is strong enough.

I'm also having a devil of a time balancing it. With the big engine up front it needed about 6 oz in the tail. I made a hatch on the fuselage bottom just in front of the horizontal stab and mounted the radio battery back there. Now it only needs about 3 oz. I bought 5 metal-geared mini servos for it that have as much torque as my std servos so hopefully I've saved maybe 3 oz by doing that.

It's ready to cover now, I'll probably start that tonight. I'll post pics when it's finally done. My intent is for it to look just like the one on the old Midwest box, red, white vertical stab and rudder, white panels on top of the wing, with black maltese crosses.

Kurt

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Ok guys...
I have been building sticks for ever...and I have built the Das Little stick so many times I lost count. If I remember...the kit built verson needed spruce spars...for I remember folding several wings powered with S.T. .23's. I even powered one with a O.S. Wenkle...and that was a real fun plane. The last one's were powered with K&B .40's...and had a ball. Some where nose draggers and some conventonal geared. All flew well and were my most fun models to fly. My first one was built in 70 or 71...but I'm a older fart today. I've a .40 size stick in my hanger now...and it's powered with a K&B Twister .61. Talk about climb out ...I even hung a S.T. .90 on it to break it in...and that model had some serious vertical performance. But I loved the the Little Stick with the older S.T. .23. A great little engine and airframe combination.

Great thread...good memories,
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui
undefined
Old 06-04-2007, 08:47 AM
RACE 66

Yes, Jeff brought back great memories of "sticks" I was living in Central California at the time and going to college (early 70's), and guys were racing them. Well, I started to "scratchem" with light wood and sturdy spars, and the standard engine was a KB .19 and then some guys threw on a KB .21 on it, they all flew great. My last one I recall met it's demise in a mid air about 15 to 20 feet off the ground I think I still have the Midwest plans in my stuff somewhere be they have a little "yellowing" on the edges of the plans !
Old 06-09-2007, 05:10 PM
fornext

Hi,

I was doing an internet search for info on "Das Little Stik" and found this thread.

The reason for my seach is that I came across in my attic an original Midwest kit (#122) for the plane, complete in the original box, untouched. It must have been there for at least 20 years.

Is anyone interested in this?

John

Los Angeles
Old 06-09-2007, 05:32 PM
jrbmoto

what do you want for it?
Old 06-09-2007, 10:09 PM
fornext

Thanks for the inquiry.

I have listed the Das Little Stik original kit on ebay starting at $45 plus $25 to pack (put it in a larger box for protection) and ship.

- or it can be picked up in the Hollywood area.

Das Little Stik - Original Kit Midwest #122
Item number: 160126068713

Old 06-10-2007, 12:46 AM
KurtS

Well, it's gettin there. I had to leave for a week of of working out of town before I could find time to start putting parts back on it, but after two solid days of work with an iron and #11 blades, my original color scheme has come together!

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30817.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	700931  
Old 07-01-2007, 12:16 AM
KurtS

Well, it's finally finished. Not too bad I guess, considering it's the first kit I've built since 1997. I tried Ultracote and am not real impressed with some of its characteristics, I think next time I'll go back to Monokote. The old engine doesn't want to run as nicely as I remember but it hasn't been run since 1990 so maybe it just needs to remember how! I was looking at a new OS .32SX today and am thinking that if I continue to have issues with the .45 FSR I may just take it off and buy a new engine. I did have to add 4 oz of lead in the tail to balance it out so the lighter engine would probably be a good thing. Anyway, I haven't flown it yet, but I hope to soon. Here's a couple pics for old time's sake. These are still cool looking little airplanes.

Kurt

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77447.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	714434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh20860.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	714435  
Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 AM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (44)

Nice job there Kurt.......good luck on the maiden.

Jeff Foley
Old 07-01-2007, 03:24 PM
MrMulligan
My Feedback: (314)

Thanks guys, for a great thread. I had a Midwest Little Stik about 35 years ago. I was learning to fly at the time so this was my first aileron ship. It had an OS .25 on it and was the first plane put together mostly with CA. The fuselage was painted blue and the wing was yellow transparent Monocote. I took it to the field to have my instructor dial it in and he absolutely loved it. He told me to cut the throw on the ailerons until I was a proficient flyer. It was a bit of a handful. After I learned to fly, I flew this many times until it flew head on into the trunk of a tree. The elevator clevis (metal) stripped the threads of the elevator rod. A total loss. I've had a few more. One notable one was purchased at a club auction about 12 years ago with an Enya .30. I couldn't get the Enya to run properly so I put a Magnum .25ABC on it and flew it for 10 more years. A screamer. Finally sold it at a club auction and it wound up in the hands of a good flyer in the club. He still has it and enjoys it. I'm not without Stiks, as I have an EFlite Mini Ultra Stik that is a blast to fly and an EFlite Ultra Stik 25E just waiting to fly.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:00 PM
1954 Ducky

I know it's been a couple of days since you posted the info on the plans. And outside chance you still have them? [email protected]
Thanks
Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
1954 Ducky

YUP - I am.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:13 PM
1954 Ducky

Hey - My favorite was the Little Stick with a K&BDuct Fan motor, Pico Tuned pipe and a 9.5x6 prop. Turned well over 20,000. First 100MPH Little Stick I'd ever seen. Little heavy and the landing speeds were high (CGchanged with full to empty tank). I used one piece spruce spars and sheer webbing tip to tip. Never did break a wing. WHATABLAST!!!!!
Old 06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
1954 Ducky

LITTLE STICK PLANS?  I would like a set of the "Midwest" plans. 
Old 12-07-2010, 07:24 AM
Mooney_driver

Does anyone know if a scratch build plan for the Lil Stik is available? Ihave the Midwest kit minus a bunch of pieces (all of the wing parts). Ihave the Midwest assembly plan but it does not have part templates on it. Was the Lil Stik in RCM at one time before becoming a kit? If so, what isse was it in?

Thank you.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:00 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May 1968
Old 01-22-2011, 07:23 AM
Maxclimb
My Feedback: (61)

Seems there are still a few of us "old" guys still out here. My Little Stick was my first alieron ship too. Powered by an O.S. 35 and controlled with a borrowed Orbit radio back in 1972. Not a great trainer! I was a Navy brat living on Pt Mugu Naval Air Station. Had to ditch it in a salt water lagoon after a dead stick event. Thanks to my buddy Greg who swam out to retrieve it, it flew again!
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 PM
skybill
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Jeff,
Little Stik, Big Stick they're all good!! Got an old Hobby Shack "Stick E"[Electric] kit framed up. The bones have been sittin' on the shelf for a few years!! Gotta' get down and do it too it soon!! 'Added a 4 inch flat mid section to the wing so the wing sits flat on the cradle. Got some old Micafilm I'm going to cover it with, should be interesting.

blue skyz,
skybill-out
Old 01-25-2011, 08:39 AM
KurtS

I'd be happy to sell mine, it's the red one pictured a few posts above. I've flown it maybe a dozen times since I built it. It flies well, has almost unlimited vertical with an Evolution .36 on it, and is a hoot to fly. I just never do anymore, got sidetracked by other airplanes so this one just sits in a closet.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:00 PM
DR1

Default Little Stick

Originally Posted by evan-RCU View Post
You guys put .40's on a Little Stick? It was out of sight straight up with the old OS .25SF! Or are you talking the Sweet Stick .40 size one?

I build MANY Little Sticks, I used to put anhedral in them!
I also had several back in the early 70's... flew them with an enya 19....a few years ago found an unopened kit on ebay and put an OS 40 on it... yes it was out of sight but it added quite a bit of weight... just found a NIB enya 19 on ebay and will swap out the 40...
Old 05-13-2020, 11:00 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My first stik style airplane was the Midwest Sweet Stik. The only real difference between it and the Das Little Stik was size. I will probably build another stik at some point. With the plans available for download and short kits at about $55 its a great inexpensive plan you get can get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:48 PM
OldBill

Default I canít post the link to the plan but...

too new to RCUniverse.

Free on outerzone.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:05 AM
FlyerInOKC

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBill View Post
too new to RCUniverse.

Free on outerzone.
Here is a copy of the Midwest plans and the article and plans from RCM from Outerzone. A short kit of the Midwest Das Little Stik is available here:

Buy Laser Short Kits | The Balsa Workbench
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
das_little_stick_midwest.pdf (1.73 MB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf
Das_Liddle_Stik_oz4952.pdf (547.2 KB, 2 views)