Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Midwest Das Little Stik

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Midwest Das Little Stik

Old 01-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Jeff Foley
My Feedback: (44)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midwest Das Little Stik

I was digging through the archives the other day and came across my old plans for the Little Stik. I had a lot of fun with these birds many years ago....I think I built four of them! One of my buddies decided he wants to build one....but I can't find the wing plans. Anybody have some that they would copy for me? Will gladly pay copying and shipping costs.

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 01-17-2007, 09:50 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Midwest Das Little Stik

Before Midwest kitted it, RCM had it - $7.

http://www.rcmmagazine.com/store/sto...LUSKjEtmg6y8O5
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 PM
Jeff Foley

Thanks for the tip.....although.... the photo they show in their ad shows a version that appears to have dihedral. The midwest kit had none. Also.....since the magazine went defunct, are they still selling plans?

Jeff
Old 01-19-2007, 01:36 AM
skylarkmk1

Jeff as of early last month the plans section was up and running just fine, got the plans I ordered in about a week.

Since this will be a plans built plane, just build the wing flat on the board. If the plans show a joiner/secondary spar with dehidral, make a new one straight. If you can get spars long enough for one piece, still add the secondary spar. That is one of the nice things about a "Stick", flat or with dehidral, they fly great.

Also take a look at the Scratch Building/CAD section. There is a post for free Das Ugly Stick plans. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5238202/tm.htm The wing is flat and has been updated to the stronger "D" tube style construction and bolt on, but the outline is the basically the same.

Also a thread on the RCM Das Ugly Stick http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4678179/tm.htm
Old 01-19-2007, 07:37 PM
Jeff Foley

Skylarkmk1 and Highplains.....thanks so much for the pointers. I did end up finding some wing plans locally. Looking at the drawings brings back many pleasant memories. Boy...if only we would have had the lightweight radio equipment, wheels and decent engines available now. We could have built the things about 3/4 of a pound or more lighter!

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 01-20-2007, 04:53 PM
aerowoof

had one of these back in 71 with a st .40.unlimited verticals.sure would like to build another from plans.
Old 01-20-2007, 11:41 PM
maxpower1954

I"ve had two: number one was the first balsa R/C model I ever finished and flew in 1970 (I learned on the rubber ducky Laniers.) Came out pretty well too. Flew with my M.A.N. 2-3-4 and O.S. .19 which was adequate. I wore that one out...

Number two I bought already built by my R/C mentor. Transparant orange Monokote wing and tail, black fuselage...he built it around Halloween! I stuffed my venerable ST .46
with a three blade 10-6 Tornado prop in it. Pretty much unlimited vertical, as you might imagine. Lost it when a wire broke in the receiver and it rolled in.

Great little airplane, love to have another. Jeff -don't let those plans go, maybe you could go to Kinkos and make copies! The RCM version has the traditional open wing Ugly Stik construction, while the Midwest version has L.E. and T.E. sheeting, which I prefer. Russ Farris
Old 01-21-2007, 10:24 AM
evan-RCU

You guys put .40's on a Little Stick? It was out of sight straight up with the old OS .25SF! Or are you talking the Sweet Stick .40 size one?

I build MANY Little Sticks, I used to put anhedral in them!
Old 01-21-2007, 10:35 AM
aerowoof

mine was the midwest litle stick,you must remember that the engines used back in the 70's except for hp,were loop scavanged engines and did not have alot of hp .the os 25sf that you refer too probably is equivilent in power to the old 40's,just like todays 46's are equal to the old 61's.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:49 PM
Jeff Foley

Good thread....sounds like I am not the only one with fond memories of Midwest's Das Little Stik. I wonder if there is enough interest for me to have the parts digitized and laser cut to make a short kit run? There isn't that many parts...you can build a fuse in about 30 minutes with modern glues.....I think you could probably build a wing in one or two nights. Hmmmmm.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:55 PM
evan-RCU

I was building them in 1976-78. We had Hot Stuff and 5 minute epoxy, I could build one in a long night, I was young then. Used to do all night buiding sessions for CL combat too....

I wouldn't want one, memories are good but that's were these will stay...
Old 01-21-2007, 09:13 PM
skylarkmk1

Jeff,

I think you are correct on the time estimate. I am working on a regular size Ugly Stick, original construction (RCM Plans, see the thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4678179/tm.htm ) and from a stack of balsa to a completly framed up wing it took me less than a week using Pro-Bond carpenters glue and a touch of epoxy (no CA). The fuse took less than 3 days and I had to splice together the sides first. Stab and rudder together took a day for both. With the major parts (ribs and such) pre-cut, you could have a completely framed up Stick in less than a week, no matter what size.
Old 01-21-2007, 10:46 PM
maxpower1954

Great idea Jeff, sign me up for one Das Little Stik kit if you decide to do it!

I think there would be some interest in this - seems like every other size Stik is still availible. This time, I'd make it a tail dragger...Russ Farris
Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 PM
Jeff Foley

Will do Russ.....Three out of the four that I built were tail draggers. I did one as a pseudo Pfalz with the tear drop shaped rudder and I did two Albatross look sort of alike. I don't know why....but back then modeling seemed like more fun, now it just seems like work some times. Seems like all I do is work on a model for Top Gun or the Nats.

The only thing that would bother me about a Little Stik nowadays is seeing it! I still have decent vision...but not like thirty years ago.

Jeff
Old 01-22-2007, 01:34 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

I don't know why....but back then modeling seemed like more fun, now it just seems like work some times. Seems like all I do is work on a model for Top Gun or the Nats.
That should be printed on all contest entry forms. Scale is a bit like pylon, you build the same airplane over and over and over............................and one day you look up, many years have passed and you wonder if having a second job is really a hobby anymore.
Old 01-22-2007, 06:37 PM
aerowoof

if it comes with plans and at a reasonable price count me in.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:58 PM
tailskid
My Feedback: (34)

In one of my first contests, my Bipe Stik won the 'Pretty Stik' award.....I might even have that trophy somewhere....nah, chucked it out last year when I moved....
Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 AM
skyz

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

had one of these back in 71 with a st .40.unlimited verticals.sure would like to build another from plans.
Just use spruce as wing spars and all should be fine.
I also had a ST G40 Little Stik.
For a short time, it was legal as the old "open pylon" class.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:53 AM
KurtS

I just ordered a "parts package" for the Midwest Little Stik from LazerWorks for $37. http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html *A parts package includes the formers, ribs, and anything on the plans that would have to be cut to a certain shape. Talked to them today and they said it will include ribs, firewall, formers, fuselage sides, top and bottom, rudder and elevator, and scalloped ailerons and elevator just to name the ones he mentioned. I ordered the plans from RCM after finding that Midwest no longer has them for sale.

The Little Stik was my first airplane back in the 70s, powered by an Enya .19 I think the old OS .45 FSR I have laying around will be finding it's way onto this new one. I can't wait.

ORIGINAL: Jeff Foley

Good thread....sounds like I am not the only one with fond memories of Midwest's Das Little Stik. I wonder if there is enough interest for me to have the parts digitized and laser cut to make a short kit run? There isn't that many parts...you can build a fuse in about 30 minutes with modern glues.....I think you could probably build a wing in one or two nights. Hmmmmm.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:14 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

I built a Little Stik back in the early '80's. I got the kit from a hobby shop that was going out of business for $10. I didn't have a .20 sized engine, so I put a K&B .40 on it, and it was a GREAT performing airplane. Some of the older guys told me that the .40 would ruin my servo pots etc., but I flew it anyway. I flew that airplane from 1981 until I retired it in 1990. It was so fuel soaked that I couldn't repair it any more. It was the only plane I took with me to college and always went to the field with me. It was built as a taildragger, and I had a set of the 33" GeeBee floats for it (I might even still have those around somewhere) and flew it as a floatplane. It carried those big floats like they weren't there.....

I really don't need one, but I think I might buy the parts and build one for nostalgic reasons. I got the plans from RCM a few years ago....... I even have a K&B .40 for it.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Major Pain

After teaching myself to fly 3 channel Lanier built first plane Little Stick with Veco 19. That was when I really learned to fly. Great flying plane, went to K&B 40 and later K&B 6.5 rear exhaust pylon engine. Could hold vertical and wide open and just let go and stright up out of sight. Unreal power and speed. This was in late 60's early 70's.--------Revver Bro#164
Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

LOL... I actually have one of those K&B 6.5's that I've always wanted to put in a little stick. That thing is a SCREAMER and would likely put many modern .60's to shame!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:13 AM
KurtS

Well the bulding is going slowly but it's finally starting to look like something. The OS .45 FSR looks a little large...

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25439.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	694167  
Old 05-31-2007, 08:42 PM
Jeff Foley

Looking good there Kurt...hope you have lots of fun with it. With all that power, be careful that you don't have control surface flutter!

I managed to get hold of a original midwest kit.....I have all the parts digitized and am waiting for my buddy to finish his homebuilt lazer cutter.

Jeff
Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok guys...
I have been building sticks for ever...and I have built the Das Little stick so many times I lost count. If I remember...the kit built verson needed spruce spars...for I remember folding several wings powered with S.T. .23's. I even powered one with a O.S. Wenkle...and that was a real fun plane. The last one's were powered with K&B .40's...and had a ball. Some where nose draggers and some conventonal geared. All flew well and were my most fun models to fly. My first one was built in 70 or 71...but I'm a older fart today. I've a .40 size stick in my hanger now...and it's powered with a K&B Twister .61. Talk about climb out ...I even hung a S.T. .90 on it to break it in...and that model had some serious vertical performance. But I loved the the Little Stick with the older S.T. .23. A great little engine and airframe combination.

Great thread...good memories,
Soft landings always,
Bobby of Maui

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.