Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Berkeley Aeronca!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 02:54 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Berkeley Aeronca!

What an enjoyable kit! I have not had this much fun on an airframe in a long, long time. I happened to have an actual kit, with the parts punched out, so it made a good builder, rather than a collector. It's a Don McGovern design, engineered by Bill Effinger. For free flight or control line, but this one will be getting three channels and a PAW 03 diesel, plus a spare cylinder head to make up the dummy engine.
There are about twelve pieces of wire to be bent and soldered to make up the landing gear and the cabanes, but I enjoyed the process. Will get a silk and dope covering job, as soon as the weather gets better and I can work outside.
There are very little mods, except for getting rid of the rubberband holding on the wing.
The wheels are vintage Banner, with concealed retainers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	52610_252.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	32510  
Old 02-04-2003, 02:55 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I rigged her with small eyehooks and such from some model sailboat hardware I had lying around. The rigging you see is thread, temporary, just to get the look, after covering, she will get rigged with .008 wire.

Name:	52611_252.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	32511  
Old 02-04-2003, 02:58 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I think, in the end, Berkeley was the single greatest model airplane manufacturer, EVER. The variety, the engineering, the quantity...just amazing. Go look at a berkeley kit. They were really something else.
This thing weighs under five ounces as you see it. Final weight should be around ten or eleven, which is no sweat.

Name:	52612_252.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	32512  
Old 02-04-2003, 03:18 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

I had most of the parts in the computer and a few laser cut ones on my layout table when the kit I was copying was stolen about three years ago.

I was modifying to install one of the twin geared Cox set-ups. The twins are a bit wider than anticipated at the base. That twin Cox is gone too, but I still have the plans and article as to how to build one.

Wm.
Old 02-04-2003, 05:53 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

That's too funny! I also had a Tee Pee 040 twin, and wanted to do the same project! Problem is, like you said, the overall engine setup is too wide to fit. Plus, the thing would not idle below 9000k, not really what I want out of an aeronca.
You can have my set of plans if you want, but they are beat up.
All the best,
Curtis
PS I sold the Tee Pee twin, too.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:38 PM
GoldenAge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work Easytiger !

Here's a shot of my Joy Model Products Aeronca C-3 airframe. It is a 1/6th scale kit that a fellow gave me after losing interest in building it. The wing was partially complete and it sat in my attic for 20 years.

I decided to finish it about a year ago and had to replace some of the wood which had gone bad over time. I'm using an OS Max .35 for power. The plane is now finished with Super Coverite and Sig Lemon Yellow butyrate dope (2 coats). I also painted a black trim stripe down each side of the fuselage.

With the rigging and struts, she sure looks pretty! I'll post a shot of the finished product as soon as I get one. Oh yeah, the whole thing came out pretty light too. The .35 ought to power it nicely.

Take care,

Scott

Name:	52657_20106.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	32513  
Old 02-04-2003, 09:03 PM
EASYTIGER
Banned

Nice! I have a Joy Aeronca, too! All framed out, I don't remember where I got it, but I have been sitting on it for at least five years.
I will probably use some 21st century fabric on it, I have some lying around, and would rather spend the silk and dope time on some other project.
Not sure what I will use for power, but it will be a four stroke. I have a Saito 50 that would do fine. I am hoping to some day run across a four stroke twin 60, that would get me inspired to get the project into the air....
Old 02-05-2003, 01:32 AM
CoosBayLumber

Default EASYTIGER

Naw, I located the remains of one at a local flea market. Plans looked to have been eaten by bugs. From the parts, it looks to be feasible to restart.

Got a set of the 36" Aeronca plans last month, and may investigate what it takes to make that useable.

and, I thought somewhere back you said Megows was the greatest model manufacturer.

Wm.
Old 02-05-2003, 01:44 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I never said that! They are somewhere around seventh, I would say. Some of those superdetailed ones they did were superb, but there were not that many of them, and not for very long. Megows was long gone by the fifties, when so many interesting types of flying were going on.
Megows was also always something of a cut-rate sort of manufacturer, never really the top of the line. At their best, they were very nice. At their worst...they put out some pretty awful kits!
This is a project worth pursuing...it will be a great park flyer type. But you might want to check with sig...I would guess that they have the tooling and rights, as they re-released some of the others in this series in the sixties and seventies...
Also, you might look into the 54" one, too...
Old 02-05-2003, 02:43 AM
CoosBayLumber

Default BERKELEY

I obtained permission about ten years ago from all four parties to replicate the line.

Have several folks interested in the A-26 and the Cessna 172 also. However, am off onto a Bucaneer B this week. Did the Bucaneer Special and the 36 already.

Wm.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 AM
EASYTIGER
Banned

I got a regular old 66" Bucaneer. I got it from the estate of a guy named Jack Springer. Beautiful workmanship. Fuselage needs covering, otherwise it was mostly done. Pink M&M airwheels, no less! Paid five bucks for it at an auction. Have a Saito 50 waiting for it. When the weather gets warmer, I have an awful lot of covering jobs lined up to do!
The 172 should get some takers, especially since the kit is mighty rare, almost unseen. But what with ARF and the Wing MFG A-26, dunno how many would go for that.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:02 PM
E-Challenged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Berkeley Aeronca Sedan

I built the Sedan kit as a FF in the late 50's powered by a Pee Wee 020 turning a large wood prop. It would make big circles verrry slowly gaining altitude as the fuel slowly burned off, stray breezes would change direction slightly, pure poetry. Extremely stable flier.

I have another kit for this one acquired on Ebay. This time around will install micro R/C gear, a small high ratio GWS electric geardrive, Lithium pack, and cover with red and white Litespan.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:29 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Wow! As a gift back in the late 50's I received the genuine Berkley Aeronca C-3 and an Okay cub 074 a couple years later when I was in 5th grade had built the Comet P-40 ,Douglas SBD, the TBF Avenger so I attempted to assemble it and got lost in the rigging so to speak any way it was my first exposure to an R/C plane and looking at the Berkley drawings of the single channel tube Rx. was totally fascinating to me
Fast Richard