Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

History of model airplanes?

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

History of model airplanes?

Old 02-05-2003, 06:46 AM
SERCEFLYER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default History of model airplanes?

Is there a good book out there that covers the history of model airplanes? Or maybe a website?

George
Old 02-05-2003, 07:21 AM
GrnBrt
My Feedback: (5)

Hi George: yes there is a book and it's an excellent one. It's called:

'Do you speak model airplane???'
Author: Dave thornburg
Author of Old Buzzards Soaring book

It's all there for you and a good read! Here's the publisher as it came out in 1992.

Pony X Press
5 Monticello Drive
Albuquerque NM 87123

My friend Tim that owns the hobby shop here in Everett gave me a signed copy for my B'day one year and have enjoyed reading it and especially when some of my friends that helped me along the way get mentioned in it. Hope this helps ya!!!
Old 02-06-2003, 12:10 PM
lesgrandcharles

Default Ask a librarian

George,
I'm not familiar with how libraries in your state cooperate. Illinois libraries regularly loan each other materials. When I needed a book on the history of triplane development in WWI, my local library arranged to have the only copy in the state send its rare copy for my use.

Cutting to the chase, you should go to your local public library and ask the reference staff (or whomever does interlibrary loan there) to help you search out titles under your subject - "model airplanes". If you already have a title in mind and the bibligographic info as in GrnBrt's post, so much the better. Your request will come much faster. The librarian there will probably conduct a reference interview, asking you questions which narrow down the search, and you will gain a better understanding of how this works.

Another source would be the Archivist/Librarian/Curator of the AMA Museum in Muncie where the library is totally dedicated to our hobby. His name is Michael Smith and his email is [email protected]

IMHO: There isn't one book that covers the history of model airplanes. But there are so many out there sitting on shelves which, taken together, will give you a start.

Who knows, your search may lead you to collect your own research library on this subject.

And, yes, I'm a professional librarian who regularly uses his library staff to help in my own model research.
Old 02-06-2003, 12:14 PM
lesgrandcharles

Default Forgive the typos

George,
Sorry about all the typographic errors in my post.
(bibligoraphic = bibliographic)
Despite the gaffs the message is the same!
Old 02-07-2003, 04:25 AM
Dsegal

The book is still in print. Look for the ads in the magazines where the magazines sell books themselves.

Dave Segal
Old 02-08-2003, 10:55 PM
ChuckN

Very good book. David Thornburg is a very interesting and entertaining writer.