Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

The sportmaster is back!

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

The sportmaster is back!

Old 02-01-2007, 07:23 PM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The sportmaster is back!

Ask and ye shall receive....

I'm a big fan of all things Lou Andrews ever designed, especially his 'Master' series... Trainermaster, mini master, sport master and aeromaster. I've been trying to score a sportmaster kit for some time, but they're always way out of reach on the price for my meager budget. But after some searching of the net, I located [link=http://lazer-works.com/misc.html]Lazer Works[/link] while searching for a Trainermaster. I contacted them inquiring about their short kit, and found that they were working on a short kit of the Sportmaster. Well, I just received an email from them letting me know that the Sportmaster short kit was ready! Take a look at these!
[link=http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b117/actionedshobbies/Sportmaster/?]Sportmaster in the Bones[/link]

I'm getting mine ordered this weekend, and with a bit of luck and some weather not fit for man nor beast, i'll have it ready to go sometime this spring! I might even take my Christmas present (digital camera) and work up a Build thread for it!

thanks a million to the guys at Lazer Works! Really great to some some of the old kits back!

mcmike
Old 02-03-2007, 12:38 AM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: The sportmaster is back!

Hey, beautiful job! Lou Andrews designed some of the nicest flying models ever, and the degree of prefabrication in his kits was a thing of beauty... certainly a builder's project, but well worth it. I did a trainermaster in clear Monokote to show off the beautiful structures...
Regards,
GPB
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 PM
jrbmoto

I'm just finishing up my Andrews A-Ray that I built from a Lazer-Works short kit! They did an awsome job and I can't wait to start on my GMP Sunbird that I got from them! Your Sportmaster looks beautiful! Please post pics of the finished product.....Johnny
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93075.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	614863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81806.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	614864  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM
jrbmoto

I would like to add that not only do they do a great job with the lazer cutting but they also are great to deal with! Its cool that there is a company out there that really cares about us old school model builders and is able to provide us with quality reproductions of classic kits from our past! My first RC kit was an Aamco A-Ray back in 1975 when I was 10 years old! I've seen A-Ray kits on ebay but they sell for big bucks, $150+ Eddie fixed me up with a short kit for $35 The cool thing is that you an build and fly a classic without building that collectors item kit you've been saving!
Johnny
Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM
dmcmike

First... I can't take credit for the pics of the Sportmaster. That's the Proto that was built from the Lazer Works short kit! I've just ordered mine and have to finish up a project that i'm currently working on, an Orline Deweyville special. Building this Deweyville sure reminds me of how nice it is to have laser cut parts, as opposed to die crunched. Also in the works... after scanning a set of Sportmaster plans, i'm working on a 92" wingspan version of it. Figured somewhere around 20 lbs, with a G62 up front. My thinking.. If the 60 size flies great, the Giant ought to be incredible!

The lazer works kit is available in either the stock Tricycle gear setup, or with a Taildragger configuration with the gear in the wing.
Old 02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Sport_Pilot

What is the differance in the Sportsmaster and Trainermaster?
Old 02-07-2007, 09:35 AM
dmcmike

The sportmaster is quite a bit bigger, built for 60 sized engines. I think the wingspan is something like 69 or 70 inches.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:33 PM
jrbmoto

A Sportmaster is pretty much a monoplane version of the Aeromaster. It has the stringers on the bottom of the fuselage from the wing back like the Aeromaster. The Trainermaster is very similar to a Super Sportster in fact I'm pretty sure the Sportster was based on the Trainermaster.
Johnny