Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Sterling Spitfire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 08:56 PM
vvalmiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sterling Spitfire Kit

Does anyone have the 1982 articles (october & december) on the construction of the Sterling Spitfire kit they could copy for me?

Thanks, Vinay
Old 03-16-2007, 12:10 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Sterling Spitfire Kit

what magazine?
Old 03-16-2007, 01:04 PM
vvalmiki

Aerowolf,

It was the R/C Modeler magazine.

Thanks, Vinay
Old 03-16-2007, 09:13 PM
kcrcpilot

I have the October 1982 Scale RC Modeler. It has a cover photo and a nice article about the Sterling Spitfire.
Even better than that, I have the 1962 American Modeler Magazine with the original article of the George Harris Spitfire.
This became the Sterling kit in about 1963. The article header photo is the same photo used on the box top and on the plans.
But look closely at the plans and you'll see that the photo is printed backwards to fit the space.
PM me and I'll see if I can get copies of the articles to you.
I hope you are building this classic. I still have a couple of vintage Sterlings patiently waiting.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32923.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	643570  
Old 03-17-2007, 03:02 AM
NM2K
My Feedback: (14)

A Sterling scale kit (shudder). I see that masochism is still alive and well in the world.

It is funny. I used to hate Sterling kits that came out before 1970. There were other kit manufacturers that were worse for die mangling balsa (anyone remember PDQ, Millville, NJ?), but not many.

Now, what I would give to have every one of their old kits to build. Funny how people change with time.

Ed Cregger
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 AM
50+AirYears

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I remember building that Sterling Spitfire with a Veco .35. Plane came out a bit heavy for a .35 though. I think Sterling got their balsa from the leftovers from liferaft manufacurers - - the balsa that was too heavy.

While I'm reminising about Sterling kits, maybe I should start on their Piper J-3 I picked up for about $6.00 from the PX just before I got out of the AF in 1968. The balsa should be nicely seasoned by now. Actually, I have about 12 original NIB Sterling plane, boat, and ship kits, and about 4 of the Sterling/Estes kits as well.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:25 PM
kcrcpilot

VVALMIKI,
I sent scans of the Sterling Spitfire articles.
Let me know if you can access them.
I could mail hard copies, but this is more cost effective.

Send me pictures of your build sometime.
Jimmy C
Old 03-23-2007, 08:43 AM
50+AirYears

Just realized something. This is about the larger RC Spit Sterling had for a while, and the one I built was the smaller control line version, which at the time I thought could easily have been converted to an RC plane.

Oh, well, planz is planz!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:05 PM
kcrcpilot

Yes, That's right.
Sterling kitted a 65" RC version from around '63 to the early '70s. The Kit was based on the George Harris design of about 1961. It had fixed undercarriage and an upright engine and was designed to fly on reeds. Didn't have anything else then. They also kitted a F-51 Mustang in the same era. These were very advanced for their day and very popular. However, I have oftened wondered how many ever made successful flights, because these was quite difficult projects considering the state of the art in those days. Both are very collectable today.

Sterling also produced a very succesful Spitfire control line. It was quite large and a good flier. It too, is quite collectable. They seem to be more plentiful that the RC counterparts.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:52 AM
50+AirYears

I do remember several of the Sterling Spits flying with Super Tigre .56s before I went into the AF. They were almost as popular as the DeBolt P-51. My CL version came out a bit heavy for my old Veco .35, plus since I was doing my building from about 3:00 to about 4:30 AM after getting home from 10 hour shifts on an auto assembly line, I goofed on the inverted engine mounting and put in a couple degrees of left thrust instead of right thrust. Even cuttiing a trim tab in the fin didn't really help with the line tension.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:42 PM
aerowoof

if anyone is interested I do have the harris plans for this as shown in the aam article.pm me for details if you want a copy
Old 07-28-2019, 02:48 PM
Pittscrazy

I know this is an old thread but this is what I found at a swap meet the other day . The fellow I bought it from had no idea of the kit make but I have found out it is a Sterling spitfire however I need a canopy . Hoping someone might have something that will work . I also have a nib K&B 61 to put in her , I love old kits , can't wait to maiden her !
Old 08-08-2019, 11:59 AM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Park Flyer Plastics has the canopy. https://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/i...roducts_id=811
Old 10-16-2019, 08:53 AM
Pittscrazy

Thank you Sir !