Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Walt Moucha MARQUAT CHARGER Mk. II

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Walt Moucha MARQUAT CHARGER Mk. II

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walt Moucha MARQUAT CHARGER Mk. II

Anybody ever have one of these?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	55584_176.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	34787  
Old 02-16-2003, 02:26 AM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default kit

Saw one a few years back the builder said it's a great kit and flyer
Old 02-16-2003, 03:07 AM
Frank M Klenk

Default Marquart

I've got one. Was a real nice build. Flies great. Doesn't have any nasty habits. With a Quadra 42 it's a scale flier. Recently I installed a Moki 2.10, I'm waiting for the weather to warm up here for the first flight with the big noise maker, should be interesting

Franko
Old 02-16-2003, 03:37 AM
ajcoholic
My Feedback: (10)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Frank,
I cant wait to see that plane with the Moki! Did you have to add tail weight?

Andrew
Old 02-17-2003, 04:04 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any idea what these kits used to sell for? >>>>big max 1935
Old 02-17-2003, 10:40 PM
Frank M Klenk

Default Marquart Price

Boy, I really have to rattle the old memory bank now ...
I bought the kit in 1985 ... I think ... it was on sale in Toledo at Walt's booth for $190.00. I'm pretty sure.

Frank K
Old 02-17-2003, 11:03 PM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I bought one around 1992 for $179, I think. Started it , but never finished it. It sat in that state in my garage for years until we moved in 2000. I cut it up into little pieces and trashed it.

But, there was a fellow in our club that had one. It looked like it flew great. Can't remember what engine he had on it, but it was a gasser of some sort...
Old 02-18-2003, 03:28 AM
Teachu2

Old 02-18-2003, 06:52 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks troops: Fellow up here has one so now I know what to offer him . Looks like those other guys like POWER in theirs!
Thanks again . >>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-23-2003, 03:40 PM
RCPAUL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a MK II hanging on my shop wall. It is powered with a Webra 90 and weighs 9 lb 3 oz. I have not flown mine in a few years but don't remember it as flying all that well.

I think Franko may be confused with the other Charger Walt Moucha designed and sold - it was larger and took a gass burner. There is no way you can get a gasser on the MK II - just look at the specs in the picture - the fuse is too narrow.

RCPAUL
Old 02-25-2003, 12:49 PM
AR196

Hey, Dude,

the plane you posted the pic of to start the thread is NOT a Walt Moucha Marquart Charger. It's a Charger MKII.

Original price was $64.99 (I have his original catalog).\

Here's the Marquart Charger. Original price !159.99.
since you paid with tody's inflato bucks, you still did pretty good,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58234_23571.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	34788  
Old 02-25-2003, 04:38 PM
Teachu2

Thanks for the info. As stated originally, it is a Mk. II - I couldn't imagine a Q42 in it! I've got a couple of 120SurpassIIs gathering dust, think I'll built it around one of them.
I like it, as it's NOT an Ultimate, Aeromaster, or Hog Bipe. Should be a nice companion to my Sportster Bipe with the Saito 56.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:59 PM
AR196

Hi, TeachU2

your engine choice sounds perfect.

The original specs suggest .90-1.20 4 stroke.

I also like your idea of making certain that you're not doing another Ultimate. Or Hog Bipe. Or whatever there's already lots of out there.
Old 02-25-2003, 06:37 PM
Frank M Klenk

Originally posted by RCPAUL
I have a MK II hanging on my shop wall. It is powered with a Webra 90 and weighs 9 lb 3 oz. I have not flown mine in a few years but don't remember it as flying all that well.

I think Franko may be confused with the other Charger Walt Moucha designed and sold - it was larger and took a gass burner. There is no way you can get a gasser on the MK II - just look at the specs in the picture - the fuse is too narrow.

RCPAUL
RCPAUL
You're right, posted plane is a MK II and mine is a Marquart Charger. Two different planes. Mine the larger one of the two. Mine weighs about 14 lbs. Sorry for the confusering.

Franko
Old 09-30-2003, 10:04 PM
Sincraft

Default RE: Walt Moucha MARQUAT CHARGER Mk. II

Ok, once again, man am I glad I found these forums.

I found this kit (as pictured in first message of this thread) sitting in a local hobby shop (actually a guys basement that sells outta there). He received about 14 Walt Moucha kits on consignment and this one was priced out at 64.99. I thought that to be a bit high priced considering I could get something with GOOD instructions, new and laser cut for around that much or a bit more. I looked at the Sig Hog and several other kits and figured that I would only be saving about 30-50 bux if I purchased this old kit. But something drew me to it once again. Left work early today to purchase this and now it sits on my coffee table, in the tattered original box, pieces as straight (from what I can tell so far) as the day they were packed. Hopefully complete.

My first kit was an Eagle II trainer, and I built that 12 years ago. Just started flying it last year (end of last year) and a few times this year. I wanted another build project and browsed the tower hobbies selection about a zillion times. Really gets me that ARF is as expensive as a kit once it is all built. I think kits should really be cheaper but hey.

I also researched , sorta, scratch or plan scratch building. I figured I would get some plans and buy the balsa myself. At this point when I found anything I liked the plans were like $15-40 bux! So, what the heck, I said for only 45 more I get the balsa in a box that is already cut. I love the instruction manual on this thing, short and to the point. :0

Anyway, wish me luck guys. Looks like a beauty.

OH please, could someone tell me what I should expect to put in this thing? The 'manual' states it requires a .60-.90 size engine. By old standards I would expect that a 60 by todays standards is more powerful than a 60 20+ years ago. Am I correct in assuming this? Any suggestions on a two stroke engine CHEAP I can put in this?

THANKS! And ALSO ANYONE that has this and has flown it...could you give me a heads up on how it flies?

S
Old 09-30-2003, 10:27 PM
GoldenAge

OH please, could someone tell me what I should expect to put in this thing? The 'manual' states it requires a .60-.90 size engine. By old standards I would expect that a 60 by todays standards is more powerful than a 60 20+ years ago. Am I correct in assuming this? Any suggestions on a two stroke engine CHEAP I can put in this?
How about a GMS .76? I don't own one, but I saw a fellow flying the heck out of a Sig 4 Star 60 with one of these engines out at the field the other day. Needless to say, I was really impressed with the power he was getting from it. It ran exceptionally well too!! Great idle and throttle response. I think they are very reasonably priced as well. If the .76 isn't big enough, there is also a 1.20 for added ponies

MECOA sells these engines.... http://www.mecoa.com/gms/

Good luck with your project,

Scott
Old 10-01-2003, 08:14 PM
Sincraft

Hey thanks alot. I was actually looking at that. That seals it (sorta) we'll have to see how the project goes hehe. Right now I am still trying to figure out what to build on. I have a fresh piece of drywall sitting in my house atm that is 5x3 and by the looks of the plans I don't need all that space. I will take progress photos during my little adventure however.

S
Old 10-01-2003, 08:55 PM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sincraft,GOOD CHOICE! Walt Moucha used to fly at the local club's flyins. All his planes seemed to fly very well. If your hobby shop has his PJ, BUY IT! Just for the future. I let one slip by recently and am kicking myself for not spending the money. Great airplane.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:14 PM
Sincraft

PJ
what is that? I have an option to buy about 15 of those old kits sitting in a small hobby store (actually guys basement) and if they are of value I'll buy another one asap. I just assembled my build table and am going to start on this bipe asap. If I figure out that it is going well, I will grab another one for a winter project as I don't think this kit will last me 3 months ehhe. Funny thing, I am so far from a 'real' hobby store so I have to use T pins that I used during my first build 12 years ago. I've already traveled 20 mins to Lowes 3 times to buy materials and STILL am missing stuff Grrr. I had to drive out today for a 2x4 and wax paper. When I come home tomorrow from the office I will have everything ready. Oh and I need another pack of screws for my work bench to fasten a few more things more snug. But SOON I will have pictures and progress reports to post.

S
Old 10-04-2003, 07:23 PM
TomCrump

Sincraft, It's a PJ 295. A large biplane for 50cc and up gas engines. A friend of mine built two of them and they are great flyers. They are something different than the usual Ultimates etc. At the time they were around $200.00. This plane would be for after your learning curve has slowed down. It's for expienced builders and flyers. I just thought that if you had the chance to pick one up, you might want to do it.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:57 PM
Sincraft

nope no pjs

He has all walt moucha models and they are all sport 40 - 60s. He even has a couple 25? sized trainers. I'm thinking of putting one together for my father or at least buying it to keep on the side. I am low on cash as my current job doesn't pay enough to keep my spending spree madness happy. But if I watch my budget I can probably buy a few models this year and have money to buy some accessories. I don't want to spend too much into this hobby, but as of right now I figure I have at least 500 into it. Not to mention gas for driving to and fro...food eating out ...etc etc.

Anyway, I have a thread started in the kit build area that will show the progress of my build. Check it out.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Char...1185367/tm.htm
Old 10-07-2003, 05:14 PM
TomCrump

A word of caution. It's easy to buy kits that you'll never get around to building. Your taste in airplanes may change as you get deeper and deeper into the hobby. Something that looks good now may not be so attractive in a year or two. I have a kit that's been under my bed for eight years. Another for four, and I've had my current project for three years. Still want to build them, but some other project come along. I go "WOW!" and build it first. I finally decided to build what I have and then get something new. 'Course, if the right deal come along?
Old 08-28-2005, 11:58 AM
stalled

I recently purchased a charger 2 used with a s'tiger75 it flys verry well, but could use a littlr more power on takeoff. Also rolls are slow with no alerons on top wing. I think it's going to be one of my favorites.
Old 08-28-2005, 05:39 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd love to have another Charger 2. Mine had an Enya 90 4 cycle in it inverted. Best flying bipe around. Shame that Walt went out of business as his kits were really good and all were great flyewrs. Think that you could get me one?
Dennis
Old 08-30-2005, 07:50 PM
stalled

Hi Dennis,
Walt Moucha is still around, I don't know if he still doing kits. His number is 772 460 6936 or area code might be 561 also 69 might be 64. Sorry about that I can't read my own writing. It's a senior thing. Let me know if you get hold of him.
I hope to fly that bipe a few times tomorrow morning. Bud

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.