Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Need help removing silk and dope covering

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Need help removing silk and dope covering

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:30 PM
codell
My Feedback: (217)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help removing silk and dope covering

A friend has asked me to refurbish a 40 year old CL model that once belonged to his dad. It is covered in silk and dope that is in very poor condition due to age. Most of the silk came right off, but anywhere the silk is attached to a sheeted surface it is still stuck good. I need to know a good way to take it off to the point where I can replace it with Monokote. I thought about using acetone, but I don't want to damage any of the glue joints. I don't need to get the model back to flying condition, but because of the sentimental value it does need to look good when it's done. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Scott
Old 04-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Need help removing silk and dope covering

Probably by brushing dope thinner on there, it will lift once it softens.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:09 AM
burtcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

codell:

It's a shame to strip the old silk and dope only to recover the model with monocote; Koverall and dope yes but monocote?.

If you must, just use Sig dope thinner (it's very hot). Wipe or brush it on, let it set for a few seconds to soften the old dope and wipe it off. Repeat until it's all gone. A caustic paint stipper will also work.

- Steve B.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Go get a good respirator, and a gallon of MEK. the MEK will take it off with no problems, leave a very clean airframe. Just make SURE you use a respirator with the stuff! The consequences of not using one aren't very good, but it works great!
Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 AM
codell

I would loved to have left the old covering on, but it was pretty much destroyed anyway and had to come off. I've considered using the Koverall, but I've never done that and I'm not sure the results would look good enough due to my inexperience. Is it difficult? I have lots of experience with Monokote, that's why I chose it first. Is there a link to a tutorial on using silk or Koverall and dope I could use, or would anyone like to give me some pointers? I'm willing to give it a try if I have some good info first.

I'll try the dope thinner, maybe the MEK. Nasty stuff.

Thanks again!!

Scott
Old 04-03-2007, 10:06 AM
dmcmike
My Feedback: (14)

Scott,

Check into Coverite too... If you can do monokote, your Coverite job will be perfect! It's much easier to work with than monokote. Does complex curved surfaces super, takes dope if you want to, and looks great.
Old 04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
burtcs

Codell:

Darn mcmike, I was gonna say the same thing. If you can do a presentable Monooat job Koverall is a snap.

You first apply a heat activated adhesive, aply the koverall as good as you can, then you can shink it. A few coats of dope and it will look cool. Not very far from silk and dope. The only issue is it comes in any color you want as long as it's white.

regards - Steve B.

please note I do not dislike monocoat, there is a time and place for it.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:20 PM
codell

I guess I forgot about Coverite. I'll give it a try first, then go to the Koverall if all else fails. Thanks guys for all the good info.

Scott