Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

AJ Glider

Old 02-18-2003, 02:20 PM
W9NM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AJ Glider

From the 50's, the Dime Store AJ hand-toss gliders....

I'd like to get a zerox copy of the individual parts.

Thanks,
Emil
W9NM
Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AJ Glider

Actually it was available as a repro lit complete in an origional box authorized by Frank macey who owns the rights to Jim Walkers items. Of course the cost was a little high at $9.95 but then you also could get the interceptor with the folding wings for $19.95.
Think that TCI hobbies has them yet.
Try www.ucontrolmodels.com
Old 02-19-2003, 10:23 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AJ Glider

Loved those AJ Hornets

John
Old 02-20-2003, 12:41 PM
W9NM

Default AJ Glider

Well, I checked the www.ucontrolmodels.com website and can't find the Interceptor listed. Sent them and email yesterdy, but no reply yet.

So, I guess I'm still looking...

My intent is to make a scaled up version (5 ft ws) slope soarer.
Old 02-20-2003, 01:04 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default AJ Glider

I just checked the TCI site and your right it isn't there. But most of the site is not opening up to me. I realized that the company was sold and is changing hands so that might be the reason for the freeze on the site.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:21 PM
Dsegal

Default AJ Glider

Penn Valley Hobby Center sells AJ replicas. The web site is http://www.pennvalleyhobbycenter.com/ but telephone them at 215-855-1268 for information on the AJ planes. They are not open before 3pm EST on Tuesdays to Thursdays.

Dave Segal
Old 03-03-2003, 06:30 PM
Speedo125

Default AJ Glider

Hi Emil: I believe I still have a photocopy of the "74 Fighter", which is one of the original AJ hand-toss in the park jobs. In fact, it was my start in aeromodeling nearly 50 years ago. A few years ago I saw photo's of an enlargement being flown at Tory Pines in CA. I was unsuccessful in contacting the builder. Now, the bad news is that the print is in storage back in the states. I'm in Europe. I know how it is when you get the hots to build a plane, but if you can wait a few months, I can probably get a copy to you.
Thom
Old 03-03-2003, 07:52 PM
W9NM

Default AJ Glider

Thom,
Thanks for the offer... I found the web site of the guy that revived the origional American Junior line. I ordered a '74' about two weeks ago, but it hasn't shown up ...

I may take you up on your offer.

Thanks,
Emil
Old 03-04-2003, 12:12 AM
Jim Messer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AJ Glider

I thought I would just jump into this thread regarding the AJ folding wing interceptor. I have two of the original airplanes. One was made during WW-II, and it had a red plastic fuselage. The price on that box was 40 cents. When I discovered that these planes were once again available, I told my story to Frank Macy, and he didn't even know that they made one with a plastic fuselage. I have no way to prove it, but In all probability, I have the only one left in the whole wide world. Here's a photo. Anybody care to guess what it is worth?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60042_3061.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	35222  
Old 03-04-2003, 12:18 AM
Jim Messer

Default AJ Glider

The second AJ Interceptor that I have had a price tag of 50 cents on the box, so obviously it was from the late forties. It is once again the stock "all balsa" glider that we were all familiar with. An item of interest - even the rubber bands that make the wings work on both models are still original, and they are still strong. Amazing! Here's a photo of this one.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	60047_3061.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	35223  
Old 03-04-2003, 08:01 AM
Speedo125

Default AJ Glider

Wow, Jim! I always wanted to try one of the folding-wing A.J. catapult gliders, but they were too expensive for our family's picnic budget. Mine were all of the 25 cent chuck it and chase it variety. I remember sliding the wing back or forwards in that slot to get just the right glide. I have no idea how my arm made it thru those Sunday afternoons at the park, but I'm still hooked.
Thom
Old 03-10-2003, 09:11 PM
Dsegal

Default AJ Glider

Jim, that photo does bring back memories. There were few planes that I could actually get to fly as a kid but any AJ product would be a great performer. Pull back on the rubber launcher, shoot it high up and watch, amazed, as the wings popped open and it glided down.

I saw a modern version at Penn Valley Hobbies today: the Florio Flyer XP-1 Rocketplane. Looks like the same rubber-banded wing opening mechanism on a modern airframe. Of course, the price now is not 49 cents, but a healthy $7.95. But then, no batteries are needed!

Dave Segal
Old 03-11-2003, 01:17 AM
Jim Messer

Default AJ Glider

Hi Dave: Thanks for the post. I know all about the Florio Flyer Rocket plane because I was instrumental in it's design. Back in the 80's, I thought about producing the AJ Interceptor since I knew that the patents had run out a long time ago. I made a few, but didn't have the time to devote to designing a production line, so I talked John Florio into designing the jigs and tooling, and he did a superb job. I became their sole distributor, and in a short time we sold thousands of those planes. At that time, we had to get them into boxes at a cost of $2.00 and still make a one-dollar profit. We sold them retail at $3.95. Wholesalers like SIG and Horizon got a 50% discount, whereas hobby shops got 40%. Once we established the wholesalers, we had to stop sales directly to the hobby shops.

I sold my business in 1991, and they were raising prices at that time. I really have no idea of who is manufacturing them today.