Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Line Control ?

Old 02-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Criston

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line Control ?

Hi,

Understood this is an RC forum; but, anyone, know of a good web store or catalog store for Line Control models?

I fly those as well as RC, and have a friend interested in starting with a LC

I have two Sterling LC planes (found their kits in old news stand shops), one a RingMaster fullbody, other a bipe. Lots of fun, be nice to find these kits stills on sale.

TIA,
Cris
Old 02-19-2003, 03:10 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Line Control ?

Sig still sells a few control line model kits but the big Kahuna these days is Brodak.

http://www.brodak.com/
www.sigmfg.com

And the ever popular www.google.com will deliver you a wealth of other links with the search "control line".

Have fun and good on you guys for keeping this simple and oh so fun form of model flying alive ....
Old 02-19-2003, 04:22 AM
Dsegal

Default Line Control ?

The primary control line kit maker these days is Brodak at http://www.brodak.com/

Dave Segal
Old 02-19-2003, 07:00 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Line Control ?

If you want to find out what is going on in the C/L world try these sites www.clstunt.com and www.rcwatch.com go the C/L part of it. You might find that C/L is still very much alive and thriving. You will also find other manufacturers of vintage and classic planes are available. Dennis
Old 02-19-2003, 10:11 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default UKIE

Cris

Good to hear from another another Ukie dude. Most ukie suppliers are 'cottage industry' Brodaks being the biggest (link above but also check out TCI www.ucontrolmodels.com another excellent source.

Most of my time these days are consumed by RC but still keep a hand in even though I now fly out of a wheelchair with a stirling Flying Fool McCoy 35. Sig Skyray Fox 35 combat special and a converted parasol wing RC ship throttled OS 25 with a bill Young electronic handle.

John
Old 02-19-2003, 11:04 PM
dennis

Default Line Control ?

John, You might want to contact a fellow by the name of Will Simcock at [email protected] he has a neat rc controlline rig that is easy to make and really works nice. It's stuntable after you get used to it but you won't win the nats with it. I mention this because it can be tough following a C/L when in a chair.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:20 PM
Criston

Default Line Control ?

Thanks much for all replies and web link tips!

John, is that a Flying Fool biper?

If so, thats the bipe I got. Mine with an old Fox 35 on it. It is a blast to fly and performs great. Dreading the day I hit the dirt with hit though

After checking the links you all gave me, it seems you cant buy the Super Ringmaster or Flying Fool kits anymore. I may order me a CL sport kit to get crazy with and spare my good ole planes a crash.

Just got these CL lines out after being parked a few years, and just building an RC trainer as well.

Gonna be a fun summer I think.

Good flying,
Cris
Old 02-20-2003, 03:03 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Flying Fool Bipe / Round the pole RC

Cris Yes its the little bipe you remember. Had mine in a box since the late fiftys or maybe early sixtys about the time RC took over most of my time. Decided about five years ago to do some more ukie so built it up and hung a McCoy on and never been without at least one since. The Fool is probably not reproduced by anybody but could be wrong, Its not the best flyer but at least capable of basic loops and sustained inverted and was a good vehicle for my return. As far as the Super Ringmaster goes I,ll just bet somebody is doing it. In addition My last edition of John Pond Old Time plans listed six versions of Ringmasters including the Sterling Super Ringmaster. The bad news is they are no more, Good news (thank you AMA for saving our heratage) is the AMA bought the whole dang magnificient collection of all sorts of vintage venues and will be avaliable agine hopefully soon.

I too still use a nice collection of my old lines from as far back as the middle fiftys all in good shape and some unused yet.

Dennis thank you for the info on the round-the-pole RC rig. I was aware of it and had read of it somewhere. Fortunatly since I,ve been mostly in the chair about nine months now and It has not been that much of a problem. After a period of feeling sorry for myself my racing buddys pushed me back to my main RC activity since retirement RC pylon. I do have good control over one leg so use no footrest on the chair and can spin myself with good control on pavement which means I stay at the start line with the starter while the others fly fifty or seventyfive feet back. So far four races including one major one and my competitors have come to accept me agine.

The key to using the chair now for ukie is being on pavement. Just got going with that month or so ago and maybe ten flights now. Flying on grass or dirt is not doable. What I am finding is although you cannot use as much body english you can actually roll backwards more effectively than standing. Several years ago I flew the little Skyray Ukie in a number of RC airshows as well as full scale airshows and one of the routines was to take out a lawn chair and fly most of the flight from that with a jump up for landing doing mostly overhead and horizontal eights. What I am finding is its easier with the wheelchair now since for landing it is not neccessary to jump up, just start turning in the chair.

My apologys for the long post or if a little off topic.

John
Old 02-28-2003, 01:43 AM
XavierJ123

Default Line Control ?

I think the Sterling Baby Ringmaster is my all time favorite for teaching youngsters to fly control line. After so many crashes, I found out that by tracing the damaged full size wing, fuselage, rudder, stabilizer and/or elevator on a new piece of balsa, I could repair damage parts very cheaply. I purchased the exact replacement size balsa wood at a hobby or craft shop. Blow the dirt off the old .049 engine and remount it on the new ship and you back in the air in no time. We have even taken super glue out with us when we are flying, in anticipation of emergency repairs on the flying field. There is nothing more pleasing than to get a plane flying again.
We did fine it helpful to replace the kit's "thin" wire landing gear with heavier wire and the use of real rubber tires improved our landings 100%.
If one knew where to procure more of the plastic engine mounts, one could build many, many Baby Ringmasters very inexpensively.
Old 02-28-2003, 12:04 PM
dennis

Default Line Control ?

Brodaks sells The mount that they use in their kits separately and it is similar to your setup. Part number is BH801 and the cost is $1.99. Probably losted at their site at www.brodak.com