Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Goldberg Senior Falcon

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Goldberg Senior Falcon

Old 02-21-2003, 01:52 AM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goldberg Senior Falcon

Well,
Thanks to RCU I have a spanking new Sr Falcon kit here. I remember in the early 70's wanting one of these and couldn't afford it.. and if I could, who could afford a motor THAT big??? Here's the question, and I'm going to throw out a few suggestions and PROBABLY let ya'll members of RCU decide for me- What motor? I am thinking maybe find a twin glo plug Merco 61, or get in touch w/ Mr Lee for a custom K&B?? What would be your choice??
Old 02-21-2003, 05:05 AM
Lynn S

O.S. Max gets my vote.

http://www.osengines.com/engines/fx.html

I bought a used Sr. Falcon once that had a fiberglass fuse. I had a Super Tigre .56 on it. (it was the only engine I owned)
It had enough power for it, but it was a heavy plane. I only got one flight out of it because the wing folded.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:53 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don`t think you are going to any pattern meets with its so you are best with vintage power. Plain old K & B 61, Enya 60, Super Tiger Blue head or OS Gold head 60. Have used them all with fine results. Should be able to find some of them still around?>>>>>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 02-21-2003, 04:57 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a K & B .61 on mine. It flew great. I would just put a stock .61 on it. I like OS. It flies so good, why over power it?
Old 02-21-2003, 06:20 PM
BadBill
My Feedback: (89)

Originally posted by FLYBOY
I had a K & B .61 on mine. It flew great. I would just put a stock .61 on it. I like OS. It flies so good, why over power it?
No intention here of overpowering it, see my original post :-) I have just encountered another option which I think would be neat, but possibly underpowered- A freind reminded me he has an original OS 60 4 stroke, with the exposed rockers, in good shape. I ran several of these in the late 70's and they have about the power of the weakest .40 you ever ran..
Old 02-21-2003, 06:22 PM
hattend
My Feedback: (20)

I've got a ST .91 on mine. Flaps and a tail dragger too
Old 02-21-2003, 10:40 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That does sound a little weak. I have one that has been modified. Looks like an air tanker for dropping on fires. Has four .15 size engines on the wing. Lots of fun. They are a sweet plane!!!
Old 02-23-2003, 05:59 AM
Russ Verbael

Default Senior Falcon "tanker"

Flyboy

How 'bout getting us some pics posted of your 4-eng Senior Falcon??

I scratched one from plans last summer...maybe it should get the "tanker treatment".
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57574_5580.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	35682  
Old 03-04-2003, 03:03 AM
Keefer
My Feedback: (2)

Default Beautiful!

Russ, that twin Falcon is BEAUTIFUL!!
Old 03-24-2003, 12:18 AM
foghorn

I flew mine with a ST .46 when the kit first came out. It lasted until the summer of 1964 when I pulled the elevator toggle instead of pushed on my Controlaire 10 when flying inverted across a field near Barbourville, KY. Wonderful flying airplane if not overpowered, especially the first version. I watched one shed its wing at the flying field near Charlston, WV because the builder had not glued the hardwood strips on the top and bottom of the spar. That was the only modification other than making the nose wider for the newer, larger engines that I recall. Foghorn
Old 03-24-2003, 01:38 AM
big max 1935
My Feedback: (9)

Went to a auction 70 miles west of me yesterday & they had a SR Falcon , K&B 61, Kraft radio, kind of crud-die looking but never crashed . Ran the bid to $70.00 & let a kid have it , thought if he enjoys it as much as I did my old ones ,he will have something to remember in his old age. Guess you can`t win them all & sometimes it`s better that way. >>>>>big max 1935>>>>>>>>